OU Metagame Discussion Thread

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
Use this thread to discuss anything directly related to the OU metagame, such as playstyles, the state of the metagame, a Pokemon's use in the metagame, etc. Anything not directly related to the metagame or about suspect tests should be posted in a separate thread.

So, I was wondering if anybody has tried Stall in this metagame. Most people just say that due to the power creep, it has become unplayable, and is not a very good play style to be using, but in the Official Smogon Tournament, 2 of the top 4 actually got there by using stall teams. Is stall actually becoming playable, or do you think it was just a stroke of luck?

SheNinja said:
I'm going to try Stall, but Deoxys-D's ban really hurts that.

No, the exact opposite is true. Deoxys-D was an absolute menace for stall teams due to its ability to guarantee hazards and prevent other hazard setters. That could then be combined with hyper offense, an already tough matchup, to completely shutdown stall. Stall simply couldn't handle the Deo-D hyper offense playstyle due to that. Deo-D's ban is the greatest thing to happen to stall followed only behind Genesect and Tornadus-T's ban, both of which were also contributors to stall's regression as a viable playstyle.

And no, Deoxys-D was not used on stall if that was what you were implying. Deoxys-D's job was an offensive hazard setter first and foremost. As a defensive hazard setter it was outclassed by Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory who have better typing and defensive synergy with other Pokemon used on stall. Deoxys-D did have a small niche on stall due to the lack of a Fire-type weakness and use as a CM Reuniclus counter, but I'd hardly call those niches as reasons to include Deo-D on stall.

I felt like getting this post out of the way first. I'll give my opinions on stall later. ^_^

I'm a sucker for bulky grass types in this meta. I simply don't make a team w/o one. They're defensive (and to some extent offensive) typing is way too good to pass up. Celebi is my #1, walling so so many common threats in OU such as Keldeo, Landorus, and Specstoed while spreading paralyze and recovering off the residual damage. Virizion is a more offensive take on Celebi, trading physical bulk for a cooler offensive typing (Fighting is sooo good offensively). Tangrowth is also excellent in this meta, either as a Regenerator tank or Chloophyll sweeper.

Personally, I love offensive playstyles. It's the reason why I've kinda rejected OU in favor of Ubers. Generally, most teams I make will have Scizor and Salamence or Dragonite accompanied by a CB Terrakion. Although some stall strategies and sets are good, I'm just too bored to use them. I like dishing out at least 70% of the enemy's HP as damage, not make an endless chat log full of Protect.

Chillarmy said:
typing is way too good to pass up. Celebi is my #1

Oxymoron, much?

I usually play with HO teams, however, I don't really like them. Good for winning, not for fun/strat.

Semi-Stall has and always will be my favorite. Unfortunately, you have to go back to DPPt to see in in commonplace.

I managed to seemingly combine HO with stall with one of my older Gimmick teams I called DugAnt (I'll probable be posting an RMT for it sometime soon). It was well built and, assuming the opponent didn't have a Volt-Turn team or the now banned G-sect or To-t, it was as easy to set up (like a stall team) while destroying nearly everything (like a HO team). The main staple of the team is to get Entrainment off with Truant Durant and have it die that turn. Next Dugtrio is switched in and boosts up to +6 with honeclaws (alternating with protect to avoid damage). A sweep ensues allowing the other 4 pokemon to focus on countering Piority and other threats Dugtrio couldn't handle even with max speed and +6 attack (Aerial Ace was chosen over Sucker Punch for Dugtrio since it prevented flying status abusers to counter Dugtrio and it still KO'd most pokemon that resisted or were immune to EQ with 1-2 hits).

Yes, Durant was scarfed. The other four were Mamoswine (dedicated SR lead that doubled as a lure for a the best pokemon for Durant to set entrainment on. SR also breaks Focus Sashes during Dugtrio's sweep which would otherwise spell this team's doom), Cloyster (another abuser of Truant's effects should durant have survived after passing the ability), Terrakion (covered nearly everything shy of physical walls that Dugtrio couldn't handle), and Crobat (with Super Fang, Roost, Brave Bird, and Taunt to take out walls and be annoying in general as it weakened - if not KO'd - a significant portion of the opposing team). The team was full physical, but it worked exceptionally well, especially for a gimmick team. I tried numerous times to make a version with some special attackers, but nothing I have tried thus far has worked. The only times this team lost were when Durant was OHKOd on a switch in (bad prediction on my part and a practice I avoided after making Mamoswine a dedicated lead). u-turn Scizor did give the team a little trouble, but that was only when the foe didn't try for the KO on durant with Super Power. Rotom-W never seems to Volt Switch on Durant since it can easily OHKO with HydroPump (although not before losing levitate) and Celebi always switches out for fear of X-Scizor.

I do remember few extremely fun battles where I was able to pass truant twice and Durant was still alive, so I used it's scarf and the other moves I gave it to make it a hit-and-run revenge killer, netting 2 key KOs with Durant despite Dugtrio dying early to an Azumarill, though this isn't a common occurence.

I'm starting too wounder how great OU Would be if drizzle Polie and Drought NineTales where not real,I mean OU Is best,but its just sun and rain all over OU It sucks,but croak is OU So its kind of cool...but still

The idea of banning sun and rain is a very popular and highly controversial one. I personally am for it but many people aren't. Just note that if rain were to be banned Toxicroak would probably drop down to UU. :p

So, Smogon is holding talks of discussing whether Landorus-I (the one with Sheer Force and that amazing moveset) is suspect material. Here, but be careful of the imminent language. I see that the majority considers him suspectable, but there are a couple, including Lavos Spawn, that argue that he has a few flaws that keep him just S-rank material. I personally agree with the latter, basically using Lavos' post as my reasons, but why don't we have some opinions from our community, hmm? Have at it. Make sure to post your own reasons.

~AoH

I think it's suspect material, however suspect material =/= banning material. I think Landorus-I is worth suspecting, because it is such a powerhouse, and it flattens you if you make a wrong move. However, it definitely does have a few flaws, and I'm not sure if it's really ban-worthy. It doesn't boost its power like other Pokémon do, and it needs some hazard support or residual damage to flat-out OHKO things, and with Deo-D gone that's significantly harder to do.

Landorus isn't really broken. Sure, it's very powerful and often unpredictable, but if you realize what it uses fast enough, then you can counter it. Even if it goes to voting, I think it'll stay OU.

Agreed, which can include Latios and Latias. Both of them can come back and hit hard with Surf, Draco Meteor because of better speed than Landorus. Voting however might send it as a suspect, because there are to many positives for a couple of negatives.

I really hope Landorus gets banned. Really, it falls into the same category as Tornadus-T. The few things that could solidly tank a Hurricane were either easy pickings for Dugtrio or weak to other common rain pokemon. Likewise, Landorus' main counters are Pursuit weak (minus Sp D Rotom) and susceptible to other common OU pokemon.

Back