Originality disappeared?

ROFLiron said:
its not cheap its a higher callibur of playing than you are used to... so your "unique" deck couldnt hang because you chose bad cards, boooo hoooo. you can play your original decks and talk smack about how cheap my crobats are with all your friends at the bottom tables. while we in the top cuts will, be playing the best cards made available to us against the highest level of competition getting better at a game we enjoy excelling at. and i don't coppy my deck, i take a list that works and manipulate it to fit my playstyle. if thats so terribad then why don't you guys use your superior original dek building skillz to counter us cheap players and sweep everything? because the truth is your not better than everyone else. why you gotta hate us cuz we win? if league is more fun than going to tourneys by all means don't come to tourneys, we don't like negative nancys anyway.

@ SPIRE_FAN why choose to be bad (by playing bad deks) when there are so many benefits to being good (this applys to everything)?
seriously the least you could do is live by your motto's. your self rightousness is appalling.

Pokeplayer44 said:
I get sick of Flygon, GeChamp, Machamp, FlyChamp, Gengar, SPs. That's why I stay away from anything popular and run variants that people don't use or rogues. I agree with anyone who says originality is going to Hades. Rogue players unite!:p

qnetykz said:
SPIRE_FAN said:
my last year in seniors this year and 2 kids first year, all the kids do is copy decks, win, brag, be rude during the game and say stuff like (can you hurry it up please). they have won at every tournament which im fine with but they brag about it and they are extremely rude probally cuase of all the power (they think is) on there side. well i said this at leugue last week.

i will always and repeat ALWAYS use decks i made and that are 100% percent me. i would rather lose with a deck i made then to win with a copied one and thats a fact.

for you people who copy decks just to win and are rude about it and pre-judge the outcome GET A MIND AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECKS YOU HAVE CARDS USE THEM! DON'T BE A CHEAP @$$HOLE.

my friend always said: "yeah it could be considered your deck alright, if theres like a 15 card difference"-Ambi

but hey some people might never change and be extremely narrow minded awell touph luck;)

this post is funny...granted the 2 seniors you refer to do lack good sportsmanship, and the ability to come up with their own deck ideas that have merit...however, I will honestly say...after judging them playing, and playing you myself...they are better players than you...as they make way less play mistakes, and even in a lot of ways, make less deckbuilding mistakes as well (at least in terms of tweaking the decks they choose to use) than you do...

anyone want to take a trip to Wisconsin to get some cheese to go with all this "whine"

first off...there is nothing wrong with the originality of the game, now when you're talking about players, that's a different story...there are tons players out there that choose to "net-deck" due to lack of deckbuilding skill or just plain out laziness...that however, as I've said a million times over already, isn't the fault of the game, that is the fault of the players that choose to do that

in terms of deckbuilding, many people often think of the same concepts, especially when the concepts are so easily seen...then, there are those that just hunt forums looking for concepts...in either case, there are tons of known concepts that people can use...choosing to avoid those because there are a number of players already looking to make decks with them, can really be more a choice of choosing to lose, instead of choosing originality...the current format has a large number of decks and a even bigger amount of a card base to be able to create even more decks with...limiting that to what you think it should be would just be dumb...you want to talk about lack of originality...the less cards to choose from means the less originality to be had...so by your reasoning, you want to limit the originality by limiting the sets...instead of just dealing with the format, finding a deck that fits your playstyle, and tweaking it for maximum efficiency...I'm all for rogue decks, I'm not called my team's Rogue Squad Leader for nothing, but I do know there are certain staple cards that should be in my decks to maximize efficiency, no matter how highly used they are...and when those cards rotate out, I will find other cards to replace them

considering (based off of posts you have in other threads) you have a problem with cards that will help to tweak your deck, you will run into a problem getting maximum efficiency because you have such disdain for some of the highly used cards...you ask what people will do when staple cards are rotated out, they will do as they always have...they will find other cards to make staples out of

really, I don't know how much experience you have with TCGs, but that's how TCG's with rotating card libraries work...are you saying that once other cards become staples you're gonna stop using them as well???

and lastly...serously, deck names???...I mean really???? who cares about the names that are being used for decks, now you just seem as though you're just looking for something to complain about...to be honest, choosing not to play because of the flood of net decks in your particular metagame is nothing more than just accepting that those decks and the players that play them are better than you and your decks, and you're conceding to that...so long as I have the means to play, I will continue to play, even if everybody else in the world becomes a "net-decker", I will still continue to play in modified and build decks the way I build decks, not cower because I see a bunch of people playing tough decks they've copied from someone on the net

dmaster said:
There will always be better cards than others, no matter what card game you ever play. So you can't really escape that this the simple truth. Despite not seeing a lot of originality, there's a ton. And deck names don't matter one bit. It's just how players want to play their decks.

dmaster out.

k here we go, time for my replies
@ ROFLiron: yeah man that is TOTALLY my signature (after YOU changed it) you do realize when i meant bad i meant bad choices not decks don't you remember one of my MOTTOS about prejuding make sure you know what your saying buddy ok ;)
which leads me 2

@ Q: maybe it's derek rubbing off on you or maybe it's just you but just remember buddy pre-judging might bite you back one day ;)

@ dmaster: well that can't be said either it's like saying the steelers will always be better then the chiefs but hey the chiefs won. again just becuase a summary of a point of view can see SOME things just like transformers "there is more to ANYTHING then meets the eye"

and to everyone: just remember guys i want you to think back why you wanted to play pokemon. if its just to win i feel really sorry for you and you might need to visit a therapist for you being power hungry and maybe even being mean or power controlling thinkin it can help your personal problems in life maybe? well if so enjoy life don't treat life like a stressed out battle to win or else im not satisfy just go with the floe of life don't try to beat it.

I, too, am starting to get annoyed with the same decks being used over and over again.

I started playing Pokemon again about a year ago and I'm already getting sick of it because almost everyone uses the same cards (Uxie, Claydol, etc.) and the same decks (I'm sick of facing people using Gengar, Dialga G, Machamp, etc.).

And, like what was mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm also getting tired of people saying "oh, you're using __________ deck." No, I'm not. Just because I'm using a Blaziken it doesn't mean I'm using "BlazeRay." I refuse to use those cards or decks that everyone else is using. In fact, whenever I've gotten Uxies or Claydols from leagues lately, I've only kept one (for collection purposes) and gladly traded all the other ones away.

I CANNOT WAIT until cards like Uxie, Claydol, Gengar, and Machamp get rotated out. Granted, there will probably be more cards out there taking their place in the future, but I'll face that bugbear when I get to it.

Now, I understand that there are certain cards that are really good and I understand why people use them, but what gets me is the pompous, "i'm better than you" attitude that comes from a lot of players who use these cards and run the "metagame" decks. I understand that it is a competitive game, but what's happening to good sportsmanship? It seems like all people care about is winning and improving their premier ratings. If you want to use those cards and decks, that's fine. But don't look down on me or anyone else who doesn't use them and brand us as "noobs".

I especially hate it when people tell new players (especially young kids who haven't been exposed to this vile poison yet) that they "have" to run cards like Uxie and Claydol in their decks. I've seen it happen at many leagues and it makes me sick. Let people play how they want and which ever way they want. Don't make them use certain cards so that their decks conform to the "metagame" that's out there.

I've stopped going to cities and battle roads because of this very topic and I'm considering whether or not I'm going to play in Regionals or Nationals this year.

PokeDan23 said:
I, too, am starting to get annoyed with the same decks being used over and over again.

I started playing Pokemon again about a year ago and I'm already getting sick of it because almost everyone uses the same cards (Uxie, Claydol, etc.) and the same decks (I'm sick of facing people using Gengar, Dialga G, Machamp, etc.).

And, like what was mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm also getting tired of people saying "oh, you're using __________ deck." No, I'm not. Just because I'm using a Blaziken it doesn't mean I'm using "BlazeRay." I refuse to use those cards or decks that everyone else is using. In fact, whenever I've gotten Uxies or Claydols from leagues lately, I've only kept one (for collection purposes) and gladly traded all the other ones away.

I CANNOT WAIT until cards like Uxie, Claydol, Gengar, and Machamp get rotated out. Granted, there will probably be more cards out there taking their place in the future, but I'll face that bugbear when I get to it.

Now, I understand that there are certain cards that are really good and I understand why people use them, but what gets me is the pompous, "i'm better than you" attitude that comes from a lot of players who use these cards and run the "metagame" decks. I understand that it is a competitive game, but what's happening to good sportsmanship? It seems like all people care about is winning and improving their premier ratings. If you want to use those cards and decks, that's fine. But don't look down on me or anyone else who doesn't use them and brand us as "noobs".

I especially hate it when people tell new players (especially young kids who haven't been exposed to this vile poison yet) that they "have" to run cards like Uxie and Claydol in their decks. I've seen it happen at many leagues and it makes me sick. Let people play how they want and which ever way they want. Don't make them use certain cards so that their decks conform to the "metagame" that's out there.

I've stopped going to cities and battle roads because of this very topic and I'm considering whether or not I'm going to play in Regionals or Nationals this year.
yup boaster brats are the worst they make me want to puke prideful pre-judging power hunger fools make me sick and want to again.. puke all over

SPIRE_FAN said:
I will always and repeat ALWAYS use decks i made and that are 100% percent me. i would rather lose with a deck i made then to win with a copied one and thats a fact.

For you people who copy decks just to win and are rude about it and pre-judge the outcome GET A MIND AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECKS YOU HAVE CARDS USE THEM! DON'T BE A CHEAP @$$HOLE.

But hey some people might never change and be extremely narrow minded awell tough luck;)
I highly agree with you (as I'm one of those ppl who have little funds to keep up for netdeckking).
Also it's hard when that card that your after (lets use Claydol for an example) can go as high as AUD$40+ on eBay (& that's the one from the set).
That's why I use cards which I've got or have (IE: 2x Charizard-1x Base/1x SF (which I brought for AUD$19.00 last year @ a festival (It's the Granny Smith fesival for those who live in Sydney, Australia) & the sell also has an eBay "shop")
For those who are planing to go to the Sydney States: Just for ONCE I'd like to see non-netdecked decks.....as it's always a pain to go against the same deck over & over & over again (IE: Flychamp is one of them), this time I'm NOT using Black Flames v.10)....i might bring my Lion's out of retirement....or use a MTG inspired deck called EDH (Empoleon, Dialga, Heatran or Honchkrow).

pvtGramps said:
As far as "Staple" cards go, it happens in every game, especially games without a resource element required to use the support cards. Magic has staples for each Archtype, Battle Spirits has a core set for each color, Yu-Gi-Oh still requires that most decks run Heavy Storm or Harpie's Feather Duster when it's rotated in, ect. It's a side effect of any game, period. (Could you imagine Monopoly without Boardwalk and Park Place?)

Not meaning to burst you bubble.....but Harpie's Feather Duster's one of the banned cards.

SPIRE_FAN said:
k here we go, time for my replies
@ ROFLiron: yeah man that is TOTALLY my signature (after YOU changed it) you do realize when i meant bad i meant bad choices not decks don't you remember one of my MOTTOS about prejuding make sure you know what your saying buddy ok ;)
which leads me 2

@ Q: maybe it's derek rubbing off on you or maybe it's just you but just remember buddy pre-judging might bite you back one day ;)

@ dmaster: well that can't be said either it's like saying the steelers will always be better then the chiefs but hey the chiefs won. again just becuase a summary of a point of view can see SOME things just like transformers "there is more to ANYTHING then meets the eye"

and to everyone: just remember guys i want you to think back why you wanted to play pokemon. if its just to win i feel really sorry for you and you might need to visit a therapist for you being power hungry and maybe even being mean or power controlling thinkin it can help your personal problems in life maybe? well if so enjoy life don't treat life like a stressed out battle to win or else im not satisfy just go with the floe of life don't try to beat it.

roflmfao-copter....wow ROFLiron, I totally missed the self righteous bit...you think it's bad on here, try it in person...lol

anyway...ya know kid, you really should learn the context of words and phrases before you use them...what you are calling pre-judging...is the result of numerous times of playing you, and numerous times of watching those two play....you pre-judge something or someone when you have no experience of it...I have more than enough experience :cool: and really, you should stop trying to wax philosophy when philosophy is not involved...dmaster spoke absolute factual truth, which means there was no bit of falseness or opinion in that statement...there will ALWAYS be cards better than other cards in TCG's, that is the way of the TCG...some cards will be pure grrbage, others will be pure gold, and then you have the scales of what's in between...not every card in a TCG, TCG set, deck, or otherwise will be a good or even decent card...it's a proven fact...if every card in a game was good, you would have a stale game that would be utterly boring...too much balance in a game ruins it...

the fact of it all is this...there is plenty originality in the game, but there are also plenty of people who are all about the win...what you choose to do with the game, is comepletely upto you...if you just want to play the game for fun, so be it...if you just want to play competitively, so be it...if you want do both, so be it...if you want to think you know it all, even though people that do know are telling you otherwise, so be it...trying to use philosophy to deflect what people tell you, isn't going to help you beat those that you lose to...you can choose to listen to those with more experience in order to get better, or you can stick to the same tactics as you always have and continue to get the same results as you have gotten...your choice...the bottom line...the game is a game, and it will remain a game as it always has been...it's your choice to play for fun or play competitively (imo, if you play competitively, play hard or go home)...it's your choice to be original or to be another carbon-copy...and it's definitely your choice to "evolve" (your gameplay and deckbuilding) or "not to evolve"...the game doesn't influence that, it's just there to be used...PLAYERS MAKE THE GAME GO ROUND'

@SPIRE_FAN: Sure a lot of combos might work and if played right can win a few games, but it will never be the best. I'll use the Cubs as an example since you were talking sports.

dmaster out.

*NOT HATING ON SPIRE_FAN*

i am personally upset that people think players who are competitive are not friendly, or think they are important for being good at something. i strive to excell at a game i love to play because at the end of the day win or lose i had fun! in the beginning i lost alot, and it was fun. then the best players in my region befriended me and helped me by showing me how to build decks, lended me lux x and roseannes and calls and other staples, they showed me how to make playtesting really benefit me and still keep it fun at the same time. then after i started to make my own decks, tweak the list one card at a time, hours and hours finding what works for me and what doesn't i got my first win. and then another and then started doing well against top 100 IN THE WORLD MASTERS and it is still the most fun every time i shuffle my deck. i am typically very friendly and fun to be around, alot of the top players are too. and i love winning i like to improve. but it is not everything, i scooped in an extremely close game 3 in top cut when i had the game winning crobat in hand, 1-1 prizes, to a pokemom going undefeated(til game two) for the first time in her tournament carreer. because, everyone feels better when they win and i know in my heart my deck played well enough, and next turn when she beat me, she was so happy it made MY day(she has no idea i did that she thinks i whiffed). winning is a goal in every GAME, so i should not be persecuted because i win alot. i practice a great deal i study my binder for interesting cards and creative techs for my meta that i could not steal from anyone else to get there. obviously we all take it a little seriously( we are members of a pokemon card website) so why are you upset because some like to compete and excel?
at they guy who posts something about playing nine year olds umm dude, meet william s. 3rd worlds juniors i dare you to try to "cream" that kids Palkia lock. he has skillz.
and so my final point is why should any one feel cheated because there are people using the best cards available.

TAKE EVERYTHING(including good cards like staple t/s/s and pokes and strategies) TO YOUR ADVANTAGE

gonna change that motto too? buddy!
(or just dont represent something you dont truly belive in. being fake will make you fall hardest of all)

ROFLiron said:
*NOT HATING ON SPIRE_FAN*

i am personally upset that people think players who are competitive are not friendly, or think they are important for being good at something. i strive to excell at a game i love to play because at the end of the day win or lose i had fun! in the beginning i lost alot, and it was fun. then the best players in my region befriended me and helped me by showing me how to build decks, lended me lux x and roseannes and calls and other staples, they showed me how to make playtesting really benefit me and still keep it fun at the same time. then after i started to make my own decks, tweak the list one card at a time, hours and hours finding what works for me and what doesn't i got my first win. and then another and then started doing well against top 100 IN THE WORLD MASTERS and it is still the most fun every time i shuffle my deck. i am typically very friendly and fun to be around, alot of the top players are too. and i love winning i like to improve. but it is not everything, i scooped in an extremely close game 3 in top cut when i had the game winning crobat in hand, 1-1 prizes, to a pokemom going undefeated(til game two) for the first time in her tournament carreer. because, everyone feels better when they win and i know in my heart my deck played well enough, and next turn when she beat me, she was so happy it made MY day(she has no idea i did that she thinks i whiffed). winning is a goal in every GAME, so i should not be persecuted because i win alot. i practice a great deal i study my binder for interesting cards and creative techs for my meta that i could not steal from anyone else to get there. obviously we all take it a little seriously( we are members of a pokemon card website) so why are you upset because some like to compete and excel?
at they guy who posts something about playing nine year olds umm dude, meet william s. 3rd worlds juniors i dare you to try to "cream" that kids Palkia lock. he has skillz.
and so my final point is why should any one feel cheated because there are people using the best cards available.

TAKE EVERYTHING(including good cards like staple t/s/s and pokes and strategies) TO YOUR ADVANTAGE

gonna change that motto too? buddy!
(or just don't represent something you don't truly belive in. being fake will make you fall hardest of all)

yes im fine with people using stuff to there advantage it it's when they boast,brag,be mean and misuse there power
btw: changed number 4 motto becuase
a: could be taken the wrong way
b: if you wanna know what i meant i meant CHOICES C-H-O-I-C-E-S

qnetykz said:
roflmfao-copter...wow ROFLiron, I totally missed the self righteous bit...you think it's bad on here, try it in person...lol

anyway...ya know kid, you really should learn the context of words and phrases before you use them...what you are calling pre-judging...is the result of numerous times of playing you, and numerous times of watching those two play...you pre-judge something or someone when you have no experience of it...I have more than enough experience :cool: and really, you should stop trying to wax philosophy when philosophy is not involved...dmaster spoke absolute factual truth, which means there was no bit of falseness or opinion in that statement...there will ALWAYS be cards better than other cards in TCG's, that is the way of the TCG...some cards will be pure grrbage, others will be pure gold, and then you have the scales of what's in between...not every card in a TCG, TCG set, deck, or otherwise will be a good or even decent card...it's a proven fact...if every card in a game was good, you would have a stale game that would be utterly boring...too much balance in a game ruins it...

the fact of it all is this...there is plenty originality in the game, but there are also plenty of people who are all about the win...what you choose to do with the game, is comepletely upto you...if you just want to play the game for fun, so be it...if you just want to play competitively, so be it...if you want do both, so be it...if you want to think you know it all, even though people that do know are telling you otherwise, so be it...trying to use philosophy to deflect what people tell you, isn't going to help you beat those that you lose to...you can choose to listen to those with more experience in order to get better, or you can stick to the same tactics as you always have and continue to get the same results as you have gotten...your choice...the bottom line...the game is a game, and it will remain a game as it always has been...it's your choice to play for fun or play competitively (imo, if you play competitively, play hard or go home)...it's your choice to be original or to be another carbon-copy...and it's definitely your choice to "evolve" (your gameplay and deckbuilding) or "not to evolve"...the game doesn't influence that, it's just there to be used...PLAYERS MAKE THE GAME GO ROUND'

the only problem about this statement is that there are alot of people in this world that only look through 1 pair of glasses and just see and talk while there is so many other things 2 explore in anything but awell live and learn ;)

I don't see what your big problem is with people playing what they think will give them the best chance to win. After all it is a pokemon tournment. If you feel that you would enjoy your time more if your used more of a rouge deck then fine use a rouge deck.

6-Dimension said:
That's... eleven. Not that much when you consider they're 60 card decks and there are hundreds of cards in the format.

There are hundreds of cards in the format, true, but half of those are generic commons and uncommons. Don't put Croagunk on the same level as Flygon. Besides, not every list is the same - each player adds his own personal flavor to a deck, be it a streamlined Trainer line, additional techs, what have you. In that sense, even players who ran the same archetype ran different decks. And those are just the high tier decks that won their tournaments, and doesn't account for the lower tier or rogue decks that still put up a good fight.

But that's getting away from the point, that point being
WailmerMan said:
This is one of the most diverse formats since 2006

As far as the average player netdecking, they're just using high tiered decks to gain every advantage they can. You can whine about it, but it's a law of any competitive game - when victory is on the line, a player will use the strongest option available to even the odds. After all, why should a player handicap himself with a weak deck?

(No, rogue players, I'm not saying that decks you make yourself are handicaps. But to someone who isn't good at making decks or doesn't care to, those decks would definitely be handicaps.)

LORDY JONES said:
I agree SO MUCH. whats the fun in:
pokegym - copy - deck list generator - paste - states

I love it when people do that! It makes them SO easy to beat. :p

I love it when someone just comes in and puts up the perfect post for the theard. People who net deck in the true sense of the word (copy/paste style with no studying) almost never win any big tournaments. They just build this net deck a couple of days befor a tournament, dont really look at their own meta game, and barly even know how to play the deck. I was playing a guy at a recent small tourney who using a net DGX deck right of the net. He saw I was playing machamp and he still put an expert belt on it just to knock out a machop and then I just OHKOed it.noobs should not play net decks but then again...what else can they play. I'll admit somtimes good players net deck and do good in tournaments but thats because they're good players and deserve to win for that alone.
Also just because a person does good in tournaments doesn't mean they're a jerk. By saying that you yourself are prejudging.

also....4 pages....i mean really. I feel like most of you are here just for the post.
Those of you with detailed, deep, and thoughtful responses thank you.

PokeDan23 said:

My friends and I might go just to get the free collectors cards they give out and leave immediately after. With all the league promos we've got and some extra claydols and uxies, etc. We just sold it to all the idiots that are crazy about it. I've sold one uxie for 30 dollars LOL, trade one away for a Machamp Level X and so many more trades in my favour.

Also, there is this old guy that comes to my league with a binder of these type of cards. He tells all these younger and new players and even their parents about how they should have those cards and casually show them his binder with 2-3 pages of Gengar, Uxie, Claydol, etc. Too bad for him, Claydol and Uxie are given away FREE at the leagues. What a douche.

PokeKid Brandon said:
I don't see what your big problem is with people playing what they think will give them the best chance to win. After all it is a pokemon tournment. If you feel that you would enjoy your time more if your used more of a rouge deck then fine use a rouge deck.

I think it becomes a problem when they are pompous and generalizing that everyone should follow what they are doing. And since this topic is about originality - the verdict is that there is none.

It's fine if you use those cards, don't generalize and lecture me about what I should do because that's what you do.

graberjr said:
I'm actually refusing to go to states (unless I get to judge). Just for the fact that I know that with the recent HGSS release, every round I play will be Jumpluff or Donphan/Machamp.

I go more for unexpected, not really rouge, it wins. I don't think you will see Donphan/Champ as a deck. You won't play the same thing more than twice in an event anymore, everyones list is different.

whoah there language abuse much?
anyway, your obviously sooo much kewler and liek way more original than everyone else... not

but seriously, there is originality, no one is telling you what to do. this discussion hardly concerns you at all if you dont even play the game so go elswhere. kthnxbai

ROFLiron said:
whoah there language abuse much?
anyway, your obviously sooo much kewler and liek way more original than everyone else... not

but seriously, there is originality, no one is telling you what to do. this discussion hardly concerns you at all if you don't even play the game so go elswhere. kthnxbai

Who, are you talking to.

Well when Arceus was first released, I predicted what a metagame might have looked like. From that, I tried coming up with a rogue deck that could counter it. I shared it with two members on this forum. One of which I know in real life, the other is someone that I know on here quite well. I try not to always play the most popular deck. The only SP deck I ever built that I enjoyed was BlazeRay, but it was modded to my liking. The deck I am playing at states is risky, but I think it will work. I don't forsee it as being too popular yet with some of the new combinations available.

Back