Opinion on the 20th anniversary merchandise?

StriatonIsMagic

I'll Never Forget This Day
I personally am alright with it, apart from the onslaught of Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo. That, and Gen 1 being shoved down our throats when there's Sun and Moon coming out. What do you think?

I think it's a nice nostalgia trip seeing as the 20th anniversary merch are focused more on Gen 1 since it started it all.

I think it's a nice nostalgia trip seeing as the 20th anniversary merch are focused more on Gen 1 since it started it all.
True. Generations is fine, but Evolutions is taking it a bit too far. After all, you'd expect the last XY set to be, you know, Kalos-themed, not a Base Set reprint.

Honestly I think the problem comes in how TPCi converted the Japanese products into English. The Japanese version of the Generations set was mostly just a randomized deck that was released as an homage to the original Japanese Starter Deck. Some of the other cards included were unrelated promos from other products. The RC subset of Generations was a separate Concept Pack and totally unrelated. But the English release really blew it out of proportion and turned it into a full-fledged 20th anniversary set with Generations and selling the packs in special ways throughout the year with all of the boxes and all.

In Japan, CP6 really IS the 20th anniversary set (in fact, that's literally its name!), so TPCi doesn't really have much of a choice but to release it as a set that seems like yet another anniversary set to its audience.

Last edited:
As someone who has been immersed in Pokemon since the first generation, I feel nothing but joy and nostalgia from it. Pikachu is an exception, but many first-generation Pokemon have not seen this sort of attention in the merchandising for a very long time. While I do feel that the 20th anniversary could be a celebration of Pokemon's entire history in addition to its beginnings, I think Nintendo's, Game Freak's, and TPCi's strategy is to reconnect with people who have been out of touch with the franchise for several years -- in time for the release of Sun and Moon in November, However, not all of the merchandise has been exclusively focused on Gen1. The Myhtical Pokemon collections are indeed a celebration of all the special Pokemon released over the 20 years.

I find it okay, but all of the charizard cards are a little annoying

Don't forget the influx of Mewtwo's we've had. Not sure which one is worse honestly.

Some of the biggest problems is that we can only get what Nintendo creates for the most part. Part of me questions having Arceus in mythical collection when we also got one in the Pikachu EX/Hoopa EX box which when you think about it ended up basically being pre-20th anniversary boxes. To say nothing about the Pikachu EX collection being a full art reprint of that Pikachu EX. But again we can only distribute what Japan gives us.

Overall having been in Pokémon since Gen 1 it is kind of nice to see but some cards could have been better chosen. So many reprints instead of new stuff. The opportunity to make a purple bordered Venusaur line lost. A flying Charizard,lost.

If you think about it a lot of the 'last set's' are traditionally reprints. Granted it's usually from the set of the same generation rather than a base set revision but usually most last sets are pretty bad.

I personally am alright with it, apart from the onslaught of Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo. That, and Gen 1 being shoved down our throats when there's Sun and Moon coming out. What do you think?

Just a reminder that while Sun and Moon games come out in November for anyone outside of Japan we won't get a full fledged Sun and Moon set until February, after the 20th anniversary has passed. Although maybe not, Alolan Vulpix/Ninetale, Alolan Exeggcutor, Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash. Need I go on.

It's great. I think Pokemon deserves a little break before they start pumping out new cards left and right. They've given us so much over the years, I think this gives them a little breathing room and gives us a lot of nostalgia and new players.

I like it for the most part, I just get a little annoyed that gen 1 has to overshadow all else in EVERYTHING. I think it got more attention than gen 6 this year honestly.

Starting with the 20th anniversary collections to pokemon go only having gen 1 pokemon, and then we have all this September merch as well as November having evolutions not to mention generations. I think this nostalgia feast is extremely disgusting, and it has been taken too far. I mean I wouldnt have minded it much had some of the promos theyre releasing been somewhat competitive. At this point its just filler garbage, apart from shaymin ex, mew ex, and mewtwo ex. Every other promo is mostly likely gonna be hot trash and just be a buy for the completion of their XY Promos set. I really hope that the battle decks for the legendary bird trio is somewhat decent and usable.

Guys...it's the 2010's. People who were children in the 90's are starting to become nostalgic for it in droves. Like how people were nostalgic for the 70s in the 90s. It's just a fact. Nostalgia is in right now. Not just for Pokemon, but anything from the 90s. Like, I've seen a lot of old school Nickelodeon merch lately.

Anywho, I think the 20th anniversary merchandise is fantastic. Sure, we've gotten a lot of Pikachu and Charizard, but we've also gotten a spotlight on all the Mythical Pokemon from the first 5 gens! I'm in love with those pins and full art cards. I am also more than fine with Generations and Evolutions. Generations has some of the best pull rates of any TCG set. That could be because I don't play the TCG and am a collector first and foremost, but hey, that's just me.

Also, just look at the 20th anniversary logo. Has every starter Pokemon ever. In the shape of Pikachu. The main reason they're being so gung ho on Gen 1 is because that's where Pokemon all started, and if it weren't for the massive Pokemania of the late 90s, we wouldn't be here today. It's also giving younger fans the chance to experience what we old-timers experienced back in the day.

As I've said before that goes along with what Keldeo has posted they're relying on Gen One Pokemon to bring in prior fans who have not been involved with the series since the Nineties. In a way they were right does everyone remember the hysteria about the base set being reprinted back before the Generations pack came out? That's why Pokemon Go didn't have any Pokemon past Gen One that's were the nostalgia lies for the masses.

For people who have been playing Pokemon throughout the series' lifespan it might be a little much. Athena nailed it with how both Generations and Evolutions being nostalgia sets for the non Japanese Sets as too much. My disappointment with Evolutions is that so many of the cards they're 'remaking' are weaker then previous versions along with it having five different Mega Evolutions means five different Spirit Links we are going to see multiple times to our annoyance. Not to mention the slew of boxes we're going to have at the end of the year is a bit much for my taste.

I think with the Games they got it better though releasing a Mythic each Month leading to the Sun and Moon coming out in the last few months of the year.

I like it for the most part, I just get a little annoyed that gen 1 has to overshadow all else in EVERYTHING. I think it got more attention than gen 6 this year honestly.
It sure did. I mean, I get that gen 1 is where Pokemon first started, but what about the younger fans (like myself) who got into Pokemon gen 5 and 6, maybe 4?

Back