One Approved's Season!! BEACHED WHALES TOURNAMENT REPORT!

One Approved

;
Advanced Member
I'm too lazy to make multiple threads for all my different events so I'm just going to update the prefix + links in OP. huehue.

Season cp: 90/300

ANYWAYS, onto my 2014-2015 season thusfar. A tl;dr version of what I've done so far:
~Played like 0 league challenges
~5-4 at fall Regionals with Yveltal/Garbodor
~2-3 at first cities with Donphan
~Top 8'd the next 3 in a row with Yveltal/Garb

I'll be doing a report on the Cities where I got 2nd place (spoiler alert) because it's the only one I remember in the present moment, and I'll update with any other cities I go to as well as league challenges, regionals, states, and nationals. n_n Anyways, onto the actual report!

City Championships: Johnny Cee Cards, Schofield, WI

Pregame:
Shoutout to my ride, Michael, to this event. I actually wasn't planning on attending, but he was kind enough to take me despite extremely short notice. Anyways, a bunch of us up at our card store in Green Bay before hand - Me, Michael, my friends Alex and Yoshi (who you'll hear about in later reports, I'm sure), as well as about 5 others from my store. We all carpooled down to Schofield together; took 2 vehicles. It wasn't a bad drive, only like an hour and a half.

After my first cities went poorly with Donphan, I immediately knew I wasn't going to play it. The entire Wisconsin meta was revolving around beating donphan - Seismitoad/Crobat, Yveltal, and Fairybox were the new "big 3" in my area, while the scrubs played a plethora of Donphan and Virizion/Genesect. After talking to my good friend Jeffery Cheng on Skype (some scrub who top 8'd worlds?) I decided I would be playing Yveltal/Garbodor. Jeffery made a few suggestions to my list, and literally all of them came in handy throughout the cities marathon. Jeffery suggested my 3rd VS Seeker, my lone bicycle, the Flare Grunt, and the 2nd Seismitoad.

The deck had 2 stellar performances in a row at the Green Bay and Ashwaubenon cities, top 8ing both times. Unfortunately, some out of staters rolled in with Mega Manectric/Fighting, and I happened to play against it both times immediately in Top 8. Oh well. Fast-Forwarding once again to Schofield, the MegaMan/fighting players weren't there, so I would have a clean shot at the metagame I predicted I'd be facing in my other cities. Upon arrival, I turned in my decklist, purchased some fairy cards of my own (3 Aromatisse and 2 baby Xerneas), and then the tournament began! 30 Masters, just missing the 32 mark, where top 8 would get CP. As I said earlier, I'm playing Yveltal/Garbodor, and this would be my list:

3 Yveltal EX
2 Baby Yveltal
2 Seismitoad EX
2-2 Garbodor
1 Darkrai EX
1 Jirachi EX

4 Professor Juniper
4 N
2 Colress
2 Lysandre
1 Team Flare Grunt

3 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
1 Bicycle
1 Computer Search

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Virbank City Gym

3 Muscle Band
2 Float Stone
1 Professor's Letter
1 Escape Rope
1 Max Potion

8 Dark Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

Format: 45 minutes (lol?) Best of 3, +3 turns

Round 1: vs ???, Gourgeist/Meowstic
Game 1:
When we initially flipped our basics over to start the game, I got SOOOO scared. Partially because I'm always nervous before round 1 of every tournament, but also because he started Sigilyph/Pumpkaboo to my Yveltal EX, and I immediately assumed he was playing Night March. Fortunately, this wasn't the case. He never really got anything going this game, and I kept Oblivion Winging his Dark-weak Pumpkaboo and his Sigilyph for easy prizes. He conceded pretty early on to go right to game 2.

Game 2:
He had a much better start this time, and got multiple Gourgeists out, but I didn't understand why he kept using Eerie Voice for the 20 spread. Twice I would have assumed that he would have liked to use the 2nd attack, which puts my Active down to 10 HP, but I assumed at the time he just didn't have any lasers to play. I started Seismitoad, but got Garbodor out immediately, so I wouldn't be stalled out by Sigilyph. Baby Yveltal and the EX followed suit. I had a full bench by turn 3ish, and my opponent kept spreading 20.

It was about turn 5 when my opponent played Espurr down on the field for the first time, and I kind of went "uhh... aight." Didn't think about it too much. Then he evolved into Meowstic on his next turn, and I asked to read it. "Move as many damage counters as you like on your opponent's pokemon to any of your opponent's other pokemon in any way you like." I looked down at my field, and realized I had 330 damage sitting in play. Needless to say, I immediately Lysandre'd that fool up and KO'd it. When the 2nd Espurr hit the field, I immediately VS Seeker + Lysandre'd that one up and KO'd it too. My opponent conceded pretty quickly after that.

1-0

Round 2: vs Claire Cheng, Metal
Game 1:
Claire started a Bronzor against my active Seismitoad. She got an Aegislash out on turn 1, but was unable to retreat her active Bronzor. I was fortunate enought o hit LaserBank + DCE, so I got a turn 1 Quaking Punch KO on the Bronzor. (And a baby Yveltal in play.) Turn 2 she got another Bronzor out and an attachment to Aegislash, but not much more. My 2nd turn, I flubbed up. I could have Escape Roped, and put Muscle Band onto my benched Baby Yveltal, getting a turn 2 Oblivion Wing kill on her 2nd Bronzor, but I stupidly put it on my active Seismitoad instead. Quaking Punch for 50 wasn't bad, though. I kept the lock on for as long as I could, and it appeared to delay her setup quite a bit. I benched a couple Yveltal EX and a Trubbish, and started piling up energy. She eventually got Bronzong out and was able to Metal Links to a Dialga, and came out with Chrono Wind which prevented me from using Quaking Punch any more.

I was able to get a Darkrai in play and retreat to Yeltal EX, Y-Cycloned to conserve energy. Claire Brought Seismitoad back up with Lysandre, and Chrono Winded for KO. Responded with a Y-Cyclone KO. Which was respnded to with a Full Metal Impact KO. Which was responded to with an Evil Ball ko. At this point, it's a struggle to see who can get the next attacker up to take their last prize cards. She stalls with an Aegislash for a bit, but I Y-cyclone my DCE off of Yveltal so that it's free to attack the Aegislash. A few turns later, I draw into Lysandre to bring up a Bronzong and knock it out for my last prize.

Game 2:
Game 1 took like 45 minutes, so we didn't get too far. Even with the +3, both of us still had like 4 or 5 prize cards left, so I took the match.

2-0

Round 3: vs Troy Lesky, Seismitoad/Slurpuff
Game 1:
He opens a lone Swirlix and doesn't get very much going. The game only lasted 3 or 4 turns before I KO'd his last pokemon in play.

Game 2:
Troy opens much stronger this game, but my Garbodor prevents his Slurpuff from drawing cards, so it's basically just Yveltal vs Quad Seismitoad. Yveltal eventually just out-trades him, and I'm able to get all 6 prizes. Evil Ball > Quaking Punch.

3-0

Round 4: vs Mike Lesky, Straight Yveltal
Game 1:
I'm a bit annoyed that I FINALLY go 3-0, and put myself in a position where an ID guarantees me top cut, but there's no other 3-0 to ID with. lol. Mike's 2-0-1. Anyways, we both start baby Yveltal, but I can see right from the get-go that this is unfavorable for me. Garbodor doesn't do anything in this matchup, so between the 2-2 line and the Float Stones, I've got 6 dead spots in my deck while Mike has 6 slots to do whatever he wants. One of those spots is probably a 4th Muscle band, because he had one on baby Yveltal like turn 2 every game we played.

His baby Yveltal out-trades mine because he can 2HKO me with Muscle Band + LaserBank, while mine is a pitiful 5HKO. (I can laser him, but he can free retreat into his other Baby Yveltal thanks to Darkrai EX.) His setup includes 2 Yveltal EX, a 2nd Baby, and a Darkrai on his bench, which is rather impressive compared to my singular Yveltal EX and Darkrai EX. It Seem's Mike is always one step ahead of me in this matchup. Every Time I'm ready to come swinging with an Yveltal EX, he's got a backup on his bench to Y-Cyclone to, while I never do. I'm forced to go for the super YOLO Evil Ball KO option a lot, because I've got nobody to Y-Cyclone to. This results in him being able to remove all my energy from play. He's able to maintain the lead and seal game 1, which is another game that takes ~35 minutes.

Game 2:
We both get full set ups, but Mike's able to stall for time with Head Ringers + Prize Denial via retreating. Time runs out and I'm unable to take all of my prize cards.

3-1

Round 5: vs Emily Cheng, Donphan
Seniors are looped with masters, so I'm paired up against Emily this round. (Which of course means I still can't ID lol!) Fortunately, it's against one of my best matchups, in Donphan.

Game 1:
I started Seismitoad and Quaking Punch the bejeebus out of her. I'm able to Lysandre up multiple Phanpy and OHKO them. She plays until I take 6 prizes, so quite a bit of time runs off the clock in this game, since I have to take my prizes 1 at a time.

Game 2:
I have an absolutely appalling start. Lone Trubbish is my active. I have no supporters, but I do have Ultra Ball!!! ...only to find out that my Jirachi EX is prized. Despite my terrible start, I do play the entire game out. I know that I can scoop and have a high chance of winning game 3, but I only need a draw to guarantee myself top cut, so I force Emily to take all 6 prizes this game. I do eventually draw into a supporter, and get stuff like Seismitoad and Baby Yveltal out, but it's not enough to win the game. Emily eventually takes all her prizes and we go on to game 3.

Game 3:
I have a relatively normal setup, with Baby Yveltal active and some Dark energy in the discard, Oblivion Winging stuff onto my Yveltal EX. Max Potion comes in handy this game, as she spinning turns until there's 120 on my active Baby Yveltal, and I'm able to just heal it and stack some more energy. Time is called, and when turn 3 is over, I've only got 1 prize card left. We tie, which is all I needed for my 3rd consecutive top cut.

3-1-1, 4th seed in Top 8

Before top 8 begins, my group goes to Taco Bell. Alex and Yoshi both made cut alongside me. Alex making cut is the most hilarious thing, becuase his deck is literally just a binder drop deck. It's got Manectric, Pyroar, both the EX and the baby Landorus, Hawlucha, Terrakion, Mewtwo, Seismitoad... I think there might have even been a 1-1 Garbodor in it. And of course he's paired against Claire who's playing Metal, so it's basically a free win. I don't know how he does it.

Top 8: vs Timothy Eberhardt, Flareon/Cofagrigus
Game 1:
At first, I was questioning how this deck got into top cut, but it's apparent from the get-go that he's running pretty hot. Even during his "less-than-ideal" setup, he's got enough pokemon in his discard pile to be hitting for 160 on like turn 3. I spent the first 2 turns going ham with Baby Yveltal + Muscle Band + LaserBank on the little basics he had out, and got 2 early prizes. I knew I wanted to be ahead on prizes as much as I could. He takes out my baby Yveltal with a Leafeon, becuase he just couldn't draw into any Flareons. Fortunately, as I said earlier, his Flareon (which he takes off of his prizes) can only hit for 160, which is 10 damage short of a KO, so he's unable to immediately respond to my active Yveltal EX, which takes out his Leafeon, as well as the Flareon that hits for 160. At this point, I can take trades willy-nilly, so I just KO anything he has active, and take the response KOs he can bring. I win the game 2 prizes to 0.

Game 2:
He opts to go first, and starts Emolga, immediately Calls for Family and gets out 2 Eevee. I get baby Yveltal @Muscle Band once again, and start using Lysandre to bring up Eevees and KO them. Baby Yveltal takes out 2 before it goes down. Because I'm able to bring up 2 Eevees, he's only got 2 Flareons for this game to take all of his prize cards, and he's just unable. I win this game 1 prize to 0. I was very impressed how close he was able to make these games despite playing a deck considered to be terrible.

Yoshi (Seismitoad/Crobat) lost to a guy named Caleb (Fairybox) in top 8, and Alex somehow managed to defeat himself and lose to Claire Cheng in top 8. I guess Pyroar isn't actually an autowin against Metal. This means I'm the only person from Green Bay left in top cut. Gotta rep.

Top 4: vs Mike Lesky (Straight Yveltal)
Game 1:
This goes very similarly to our swiss game. He gets a baby Yveltal up early and is able to out-trade my baby Yveltals again. Once again, he gets multiple Yveltal EX out, and is able to Y-cyclone between them, while I'm forced to go for the super YOLO Evil Ball KOs once again, which allows him to remove all of my energy from play. I scoop to save time and go into game 2.

Game 2:
This time we both start Yveltal @Muscle Band, and start trading Oblivion Wing for 50s. I'm fortunate enough this time to also be able to get multiple Yveltal EX out at the same pace as he does. This works in my favor because my list runs Max Potion while his doesn't, so after I Y-Cyclone to my bench (just like he does!), I'm able to free retreat + heal all the damage off. Mike Junipers and draws into double head ringer, which puts a bit of a hole into my plan. Time is eventually called when I've got 4 prizes left. Mike had just Lysandred a Seismitoad active to trap it. I remember Ultra Balling and thinking about what I needed to win: An energy (which there was only 1 of in my deck), an Escape Rope (which there is also only one of) to get Toad out of the active spot, a Lysandre, for the last 2 prizes, and a Laser to get an OHKO on whatever he has active after I Escape Rope. I juniper and hit everything, score the KO to take 2 of my last prizes. Mike pushes up Seismitoad because it's got the most HP of anything left on his board, and I VS Seeker a Lysandre to get the win.

Sudden Death match:
We both start (surprise, lol!) baby Yveltal. Unfortunately for Mike, the only supporter he has in his hand is Colress, so while I set up normally, he has to Colress for 3, and just doesn't hit what he needs. I'm able to get energy on an Yveltal EX and just repeatedly Evil Ball until he's out of ways to retreat.

Caleb defeats Claire in top 4, so my opponent will be playing Fairybox against my Yveltal/Garbodor for the championship match.

Finals: vs Caleb Gedemer, Fairybox
Game 1:
This was a great game. We both get set up pretty normally. Caleb gets Manectric out, so I avoid attaching tools to any of my Yveltals. I Lysandre up his Manectric EX and Evil Ball it for like 100. He's forced to Assault Laser for 160, which is 10 short of an OHKO, but he's able to Max Potion the damage off, so his Manectric gets 2 prizes, and before it goes down, he's able to Lysandre something else for 2 more prizes. This play was game-brekaing for me. Caleb Knows Garb can come out, so he puts 4 energy onto an Yveltal EX via Fairy Trans. My current, active, Yveltal EX has 3 energy and a Muscle Band that I just attached, so I have an OHKO on his Yveltal EX while he is 10 short. I N'd Caleb to 2, so the odds that he has an Energy or a Muscle Band are very Low, but if he does, he'll be able to OHKO me in response. Instead of going for the super YOLO Evil Ball play, I decide to be safe and Y-Cyclone a DCE to a benched Yveltal. It turns out Caleb doesn't have the energy, just another N. He gets a Juniper off of his N, and plays it on his next turn, and is able to Megaphone the Float Stone off of my Garbodor. After this, he's safely able to move his energy in any way he wants, and I'm unable to OHKO anything. Game 1 takes ~35 minutes, so i concede immediately to try and get a full game 2 in.

Game 2:
We both get pretty full setups once again, but I'm unable to take all 6 of my prizes before time is called. Thanks to Dark resistance and Max Potion, Caleb is able to play into time pretty easily, and he becomes the City Champ. Huge congrats to Caleb, who played very well.

Final Record: 3-1-1 Swiss, 5-2-1 after Top Cut, 2nd out of 30 masters.
40 CP earned, now at 80/300

Closing Thoughts:
This tournament was very well run, and the venue was sweet. I'm happy I don't live in Schofield, or I'd probably be broke. I was unable to repeat my 2nd place finish, so I ended my cities run the next day going 2-2-1 (booooo hammer + laser heads), but this cities will be the one I remember the most. It's the best I've done at a tournament in a long time, and I made very few misplays, so I'm hoping this can carry over to Regionals + stuff. n_n

Props:
~Michael for giving me a ride last-minute
~The venue was AWESOME
~Yoshi for being Yoshi
~Bunker and his BinderDrop.dec
~Getting 2nd
~Free breakfast the next morning
~The entire Cheng family that showed up from Cali were all really cool people
~Jeffery for helping with my decklist. Flare Grunt won me like 5 games over the entire marathon lol

Slops:
~We let Caleb win a tournament
~All the heads I flipped against Mike in top 4 came back and bit me the next day
~My pulls in my 20 packs for 2nd were worse than my pulls from my 4 packs for top 8 the day before
~Could have won if I went for the super YOLO Evil Ball in finals
~Bunker losing to Claire in top 8 (lol Metal beating Pyroar)
~45 minutes is dumb. That 5 minutes is actually pretty huge.

RE: One Approved's TCG Season!

Hey guys, I'm back. Sorry I didn't write up a regionals report like I promised. I was very disappointed with my performance (3-3-2, drop because I didn't want to play the last round and it was already 11 PM lol), so I didn't want to write one immediately afterwards, and later I just got too busy. a tl;dr version of this event was:

I played Manectric EX (not mega, just regular)/Seismitoad EX/Crobat. Goal of the deck is to use Head Ringer to force tools onto my opponent, and use Manectric + Crobat to take a lot of quick OHKOs. Seismitoad patched up the weakness to Landorus and is just an overall broken card to put into any deck. Anyways, I expected the metagame to be full of 3 decks: Yveltal variants, Virizion/Genesect, and Mega Manectric variants (particularly paired with Fighting.) After round 4, I was 3-0-1 with wins against literally everything I had expected and prepared for: Virizion/Genesect r1, Yveltal/Mega Manectric r3, and Mega Manectric/Fighting r4. My tie was against Mega Manectric/Black Kyurem, and I was 1 turn away from winning :/. Anyways, I then stopped playing the decks I was prepared for. I got paired against Night March which I was not expecting to be anywhere near the top tables, and tied it. Then I got paired against Seismitoad/Slurpuff, which I knew was a weak matchup, and 2 metal decks in a row, and lost all 3. Ugh. So yeah, disappointing.

Now, onto the actual reason I'm posting: My states report! I was hoping to rebound from this regionals, but spoiler alert: I didn't. But this states was still the most fun I've ever had at a tournament in a long time, so I wanted to write a report. Here goes n_n

State Championships: Baraboo, Wisconsin

So I knew my deck choice going into states: Yveltal. After looking at the Florida regionals with Primal Clash, I knew Yveltal was what I wanted to play because of its favorable matchup against Landorus/Bats and Night March, passable matchup against every Seismitoad variant except Slurpuff, and the ability to tech it for the mirror match. There was a group of 5 of us, 4 friends and I, that shared a hotel room. Out of the 5 of us, 4 played Yveltal/Seismitoad (NO Garbodor), and the last played Metal. We had a cool list that we decided on, I ended up making 2 small adjustments to my list compared to theirs. We tested a couple of specific matchups that night (mostly landorus/bats, night march, and the mirror) and just headed to bed. Although we were up for another 2 hours because we were laughing so damn hysterically lol.

The day of the tournament came and I woke up with a headache. This happens to me sometimes, but I didn't think much of it. Usually the headaches just go away, so I just decided to gut it out and wait for it to pass. Poor life decision. My entire day was reading cards with small text while trying to come up with a strategy, so the headache never went away, and it clearly affected my gameplay throughout this tournament. No biggie though, it was still a ton of fun. Wisconsin states ended up having 138 Masters, 8 rounds and a top 8 cut.

Round 1: vs Kyle Madison, Virizion/Genesect

Game 1: I won the coin toss and opted to go first. I started a baby Yveltal to his Virizion EX. I Ultra Balled for Yveltal EX, LaserBank'd the Virizion for a free 30 damage, and Sycamored my dark into the discard pile so I could Oblivion wing it. I managed to draw into another one, attached to my active, and passed. My opponent just drew, attached an energy, Skyla'd for Ultra Ball for Genesect, and passed. I draw, attach to my bench Yveltal EX, Ultra Ball for Darkrai EX, play a supporter of some kind, and Oblivion Wing to the Yveltal EX. My opponent draws, Sycamores, gets a 2nd Virizion as well as a Genesect into play, and Emerald Slashes to a Genesect. I draw, Sycamore and draw into a Muscle Band, and attach it to my Yveltal EX. I also managed to draw into a 2nd one, which is very fortunate. The active Virizion had 60 on it due to my t1 Laserbank and t2 Oblivion Wing, so I was able to retreat, and Y-Cyclone for the KO, conserving my energy, and also limiting my opponent to the one Genesect EX. He had an immediate G-Booster response, but he was unable to get out any more attackers, so my Yveltals ended up overwhelming him, and he conceded.

Game 2: My opponent decides to go first. I have an Yveltal EX in my hand as well as a Seismitoad EX. Clearly I started with Yveltal, lol. My opponent started a Genesect. He drew, attached, and passed. I drew, attached, and N'd. I drew into a Seismitoad EX, but I didn't play it down. I figured if my opponent could kill me, oh well. I felt confident enough that I could win game 3. My opponent does manage to take the game. He attaches, Colress Machines, and Skylas for G-Booster, and kills my only pokemon in play.

Game 3: We both get very average starts. I manage to t1 LaserBank his Virizion again, and t2 Oblivion Wing him for 60, but I was unable to draw into Muscle Band. I was still able to Evil Ball for the KO, but his response G Booster removed all energy from play except for the one on my baby Yveltal. I don't remember too much of what happened here, but I know I Oblivion Wing'd. I looked at his energy in play: 1 Grass energy. He would be able to G Booster with a Colress Machine, but I knew that he had to attach a Grass from hand to attack, which meant no red signal, and no matter what, my bench was safe. Knowing this though, I attached to one Yveltal EX, and Oblivion Wing'd to a different one, which gave me an Yveltal EX with 2 energy and Muscle Band, and an Yveltal EX with 1 energy. My opponent, instead of Megalo Cannoning, plays switch, Energy Switch, attaches a Grass, and uses Emerald Slash onto a second Genesect EX, and I realized I misplayed. In my hand, I have DCE and Lysandre, however my Yveltal EX would be 20 Short of the KO on his fresh Genesect EX. I had Oblivion Wing'd to the wrong one. I tried to push past it and continued play. Time was called, and I Lysandre'd his 2 energy Genesect-EX, and Y-Cycloned. He responds by using Shadow Triad for G-Booster, and KOing my active, and he also Energy Switched off of the Virizion to his bench Genesect. I pushed up my bench Yveltal, play Sycamore, the only supporter in my hand, and hit the energy, allowing me to respond KO. Unfortunately, my opponent is able to Red Signal my Jirachi, and Ko it on turn 3 after time, so he takes the match.

0-1

Round 2: vs Landorus/Bats

I started against a different opponent, but due to a computer mistake, I was repaired against this guy. I sit down and hear somebody say "Nerd!" and I look up to see based lord PMJ sitting in the match right next to mine. It was great to finally meet up in person. Both of us living in Wisconsin and we had just never met before, so that was definitely a massive tournament prop. n_n

Game 1: I start Seismitoad and t1 Quaking Punch his Landorus-EX for 100, and proceed to lock down his entire setup. He eventually gets Hawluchas out, but by the time he does, I'm too far ahead for him to do anything.

Game 2: Very similar to game 1, although he got a Lucario EX out fairly quickly. I Ultra Balled for Mewtwo EX and was able to immediately KO it after my Seismitoad went down. From here on out he tried to stall by using Hawluchas since they were only 1 prize, but I was able to KO one every single turn, and even if I hadn't, they were unable to touch my baby Yveltals.

1-1

Round 3: vs Flareon/Leafeon

Game 1: I hadn't tested this matchup, but I knew that playing down Seismitoad was just a trap, because it would get obliterated by Leafeon. I knew it gave him access to Battle Compressors, but I had to take that risk. I started with a Baby Yveltal, and managed to t1 Muscle Band LaserBank Oblivion Wing a Ditto for the KO. I got Darkrai out, free retreated, and just started going absolutely ham with Yveltal-EX. I knew Flareon had a strong late game, so I wanted to be as far ahead in prizes as humanly possible. He didn't hit any Battle Compressors until very late in the game, so I was ahead 2-6 before he was able to start getting KOs, so I just stayed ahead.

Game 2: I actually just started Yveltal EX, attached 2 turns in a row and started going ham once again. I took 2 Prizes before he was able to do big damage. He was able to hit Battle Compressors, but he still didn't quite get enough pokemon in the discard pile to OHKO me, so he ended up using Leafeon to swing for like 100ish damage early with Silver bangle, while setting up Flareons on his bench for late game. Unfortunately for him, I was able to repeatedly Lysandre the Flareons up, so he was stuck using Leafeon as his main attacker for the entire game. Leafeon was 2HKOing me, but I was ahead in prizes, and could just OHKO him at will, so my Yveltals were going even in the prize trade, and eventually he just ran out of attackers. I ran through 4 Eevees and he had nothing else to work with.

2-1

Round 4: vs Virizion/Genesect

Game 1: My opponent went first. I started baby Yveltal and was able to Oblivion Wing with Muscle band for 50, and attach a Dark to benched Yveltal-EX to start the game. He Emerald Slashed to a Genesect and immediately attached G-Booster to it, obviously preparing for me to KO his active Virizion, and Ultra balled for a 2nd Genesect EX, leaving him with a 3-card hand. I stupidly misplayed once again: I had Darkrai EX and was able to free retreat for the KO on his Virizion Immediately. However, I Ultra Balled for another Yveltal EX, and Sycamored my hand away. What I should have done was Ultra Ball for Jirachi EX, and Xerosic the G-Booster away, because my Yveltal-EX would have been (probably) safe from a KO on the following turn. Oops -_-. My opponent G-Boosters me, and is able to Red Signal + G-Booster another Yveltal EX on the following turn. I just scooped.

Game 2: I got G-Booster donked. Again. Alhtough this time I actually didn't draw any pokemon to play down.

2-2

Round 5: vs Yveltal/Seismitoad

I honestly many details of game 1. I just remember that Laser Sleep won him game 1 because I play mistaked and filled my bench up, and thus didn't have room to play down Keldeo for Rush In + retreat. (Nor was I able to Stellar Guidance with no supporters in hand.)

Game 2 I was stupidly gutsy. He started lone Yveltal EX to my Seismitoad EX. I attach DCE, N, and pass. He attaches a Dark, attaches a Head Ringer to my active, and passes. I had no other basics, and had the thought of "oh, if he Evil balls next turn he's doing 120, and can KO me in 2 turns. I should get more basics." Then instead of Sycamoring my hand away, I Xerosic'd the Head Ringer off, LaserBank'd, and Quaking Punch, figuring I would Sycamore next turn and probably hit a basic. Nope. Instead, my opponent plays N, and I draw no basics, no Ultra Balls, no Supporters. Not even a Laser to try and put his active to sleep. He just evil balls and wins the game.

2-3

At this point I finally asked for Tylenol for my headache, which had only gotten worse, and thankfully my roommate had some. Teapot on drugs proceeded to stop losing.

Round 6: vs Gardevoir

Game 1: I didn't like this matchup without Garbodor, but I still was able to play it close. I quaking punched him early, and Xerosic'd his Gardevoir Spirit Link, so his setup was stalled a TON, and he was unable to max potion. I got down to 2 prizes to his 1, but I was unfortunately, 1 card away from winning like 7 turns in a row in the late game. I finally hit a card I needed to win when I took my 5th prize card from a spritzee, but then of course he N'd me. I ended up drawing into a Colress, and having the win on the next turn, but he topdecked Lysandre for the win after Ning himself to 1 with a really thick deck -_-

Game 2: Game 1 had taken like 90 days so I was seriously contemplating just scooping and dropping from the tournament due to low morale, but I figured "what the hell, I already paid 20 bucks for entry, I'll just see what happens." I didn't bother to pile shuffle, just ripple shuffled a bunch and set up in case a miracle win happened. It did. We each started only 1 basic, my Yveltal EX to his Xerneas EX, but he had no supporters and no way to get extra basics out. I attached a Dark turn 1, he attached a Fairy turn 2, attached a DCE turn 2 and Evil Balled for 80 after resistance, he drew and passed, I drew, attached a Dark, and Evil Balled for the KO as time was called. We tied.

2-3-1

Round 7: vs Fairies

Game 1: I donked a lone Spritzee with muscle band Quaking Punch

Game 2: My opponent dead drew, so I just went ham with Mewtwo EX. I think I just attached 6 energy and a Muscle Band and just started killing all the things.

3-3-1

Round 8: vs Yveltal/Seismitoad

Game 1: I just got a better start than him. He attached 2 doubles, and I was able to Enhanced Hammer and Xerosic both of them in 2 turns, and I was able to take early KOs and put him under pressure. He scooped and went to game 2.

Game 2: We got equally good starts, and traded KOs pretty quick. We both Oblivion Wing'd turn 1, and I came out with Yveltal EX first, and Y-Cycloned for a KO. He was able to Lysandre + Evil Ball for KO, but I was able to Y-Cyclone him back for a KO, and the following turn, I could Lysandre + Evil Ball for a KO. He had no energy left, so had to try Oblivion Winging some into play, so I kept pressure on with my active Yveltal-EX, and just kept piling energy onto my benched one. My heart stopped for a brief moment because he was going to KO my active, and then started using Crushing Hammers on my benched one. Thankfully he only got one heads, so I was still able to get the KO and win the game.

Final Record: 4-3-1

I was obviously disappointed with my record, but at the end of the day, all 3 of my other friends did extremely well: One was 6-1-1 with guaranteed top, the other two were 6-2 and 5-0-3, we figured one of them would bubble out. Jimmy Ballard came over to look at my old cards to see if there was anything he needed for his old decks, when one of the wonderful and hard-working staff plopped the final standings into his hands and I saw that all three of them had made top 8. I jumped up and got mad hype, I'm pretty sure I yelled "THEY ALL MADE IT, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" or something, and I got some pretty weird looks from the people standing around me, lol.

When it came down to top 8 the next day, I was able to just chill, which was nice. I watched some people play some retro decks from the 2003 era, since Jimmy Ballard had brought all of his old decks with him and was letting us borrow them, which was pretty cool. I eventually challenged him to a 2006 game, I asked him to specifically play Eeveelutions, which he used to get 2nd place at Worlds in this year. I asked because I have this deck built but I have no clue what I'm doing with it, so I wanted to see how he played it against me. I played Dark Dragonite/Dark Electrode (aka Dragtrode) against him, which was one of his favorite matchups. Very close, very exciting, and he apparently beat it in top 8. Game 1 I won because he supporter droughted, but game 2 was extremely intense. He ended up outplaying me and winning the game 1-0, but it was very clear that he was in control of the match. He also told stories between games about how he killed a Lugia EX and a Blastoise EX on the same turn at worlds, and other ridiculous plays he came up with. It was really cool to see how far in you were able to think in this format, it was very chess-like.

In top 8, my friends Cody and Austin got paired against each other, and Cody won. Then, Cody and my other friend Enrique got paired in top 4. Yeah, all of my friends were in the same side of the bracket, lol. But one of them was guaranteed finals, so that was cool. Enrique ended up making it to the finals, and played against Fairies, and lost a very close set. All in all, 3 of my friends made top 8, and Green Bay finally repped a tournament.

...also I have to take a double shot now. I made a bet that if 2 of our group made top cut, I would take a shot, and that if more made it, I'd take a double. I don't drink. At all. However, my crew from Green Bay has gone to tournaments and scrubbed out SO many times (ie: top 16 in a top 8 cut, top 32ing a regionals with top 8 cut), that I just really wanted to see them pull it off. And frankly, I didn't think they would do it. And then 3 of them topped. Rekt.

Props:
~3 of Green Bay making top 8
~Enrique winning 3 boxes for getting 2nd
~Outplacing Fon Du Lac
~Mewtwo EX in Yveltal is god-like
~"Sorry, I thought it was mine"
~Finally meeting PMJ in person
~Playing retro decks with Jimmy
~Playmats that top 8 won were super cool
~WE HAD AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN FOR LUNCH AND STILL GOT DONE BEFORE 10
~Jimmy Ballard's tournaments always get done on time, if not early
~Between 5 guys, hotel and gas was super cheap
~Taco Bell breakfast is amazing
~Mtn Dew Kickstart is amazing
~Amazing box pulls (6 ultras and a secret rare in one, 6 ultra rares in another, and 3 ultra rares in half of another)
~Seeing a Kyogre deck get top seed
~Michael, who ended up winning, was really chill
~#dolo

Slops:
~Major headache
~Misplaying multiple times out of wins
~I should have played my friends' list
~Scrubbing out again
~The weather was really lame. Cold and rainy
~Everybody in my group denied playing on stream multiple times
~Abe tricked somebody into IDing by saying they would get into to with 18 points. They bubbled out.

cool story bro

I woulda stayed for day two but I had nowhere to stay and I'm pretty sure my roommate wouldn't have wanted to anyway

Regional Championships: Madison, Wisconsin
Hiya. I just got back from a disappointing and yet exciting regional championships in Madison, and I'm excited to share what all went on n_n.

Pre-Tournament
So about a week before the tournament, I was talking to my homeboy Jeffrey Cheng, and he was telling me about how he was doing really well with Seismitoad/Crawdaunt, taking 1st and 2nd at 2 regionals in a row. He had a roaring skies list that he showed me, and I liked. I played my friends and destructed them with it, so we quickly decided that Toad/Crabs was the play. So I guess you could say that I *shades* gave my friends Crabs. YYYYYEEEEEEAAA

Anyways, the 2.5 hour drive was a cakewalk compared to the 10-hour nonsense that was Kansas regionals last week. My crew consisted of 4 of us scrubs: Me, Austin, Enrique, and Alec. Our friend Michael eventually met us down at the hotel, and we chit-chatted for a bit, before convincing Michael to play Toad/Crawdaunt as well. (We gave Michael Crabs. YEEEEEE *shot*) We got to the tournament and filled out our lists/registered. As I'm waiting in line, I hear Jimmy Ballard telling Jason Klaczynski that we have just enough players for a day 2 and top 32 cut, which is awesome. After only 160 of the necessary 227 showed up to Kansas, I had pretty low hopes, but we got there. Jimmy Ballard, the wonderful tournament host, had a software issue and still got us paired and ready to go not even 10 minutes late. So with that, we were off!

Round 1: vs Dragon Mega Rayquaza
Game 1: I had 0 experience with this matchup before this game, so I can't really say I knew what to do. That being said, he started Mega Rayquaza, and wasn't able to draw any Reshiram until turn 3 or 4, so he could only attach 1 energy at a time. Therefore, I decided that if I removed 1 energy every turn and then just kept using Quaking Punch, I would be in pretty good shape. I wasn't disappointed. Between Crushing Hammer, Enhanced Hammer, and Crawdaunt, my opponent was never able to keep energy on the field, and I achieved the slowest and most painful 6-0 of all time. He was so frustrated by my strategy that he didn't even want to play game 2, so we signed the match slip and I moved on with my day.

1-0

Round 2: vs Yveltal/Seismitoad/Garbodor
Game 1: We both started seismitoad, but I went first, so I was able to play Head Ringer and HypnoToxic Laser with Virbank City Gym. I repeatedly used Crushing Hammer to keep his Dark energy out of play, and Enhanced Hammer/Xerosic whenever he attached a Double Colorless. I think he might have Evil Balled me one time in this game? I 6-0'd him in this game and we went on to game 2.

Game 2: My opponent started baby Yveltal with some other basics, and just drew, attached and passed. After playing this deck for nearly a year and a half, I completely understood his pain. Yveltal/Garbodor variants suffered from inconsistency, and this was just one of those games. I played a Jirachi EX and used Stellar Guidance to get a Sycamore, and just got a quick Quaking Punch set up from there. I made sure to keep the lock down at all times and he was just unable to do anything. My 3rd game in and I had my 3rd 6-0 of the day. I was feeling pretty good.

2-0

Round 3: vs Toad/Shaymin

Game 1: I was very happy to get this matchup because I felt Crawdaunt swung the mirror very heavily in my favor. Game 1 it was just that. We both set up a Seismitoad very quickly, and we were both able to remove each others' energy. However, my deck plays Xerosic on top of Crawdaunt, so I was more consistently able to keep his energy off of the field. He scooped very early in to save time.

Game 2: My opponent opts to go 2nd, and his field completely explodes on turn 1. I started Shaymin and flipped a bunch of Super Scoop up tails, so unfortunately, I was stuck there and unable to retreat. My opponent was able to control the match and win the game.

Game 3: I opted to go first, despite knowing my opponent wanted this to happen. I had a very good set up, with a Seismitoad active, a Corphish@Float Stone, and a couple of Shaymin on the bench, while holding a DCE in my hand. I used Ultra Ball, because I knew I wouldn't be able to next turn. The correct play would have been to take Jirachi EX and hold it for next turn. My opponent would undoubtedly go Quaking Punch/Laser, so next turn I would be able to Stellar Guidance for AZ, push up my Corphish with Float Stone, Unruly Claw, re-play down my Seismitoad EX + Double, and lock my opponent up. Unfortunately, I'm a scrub, and I took a 2nd Seismitoad EX that did me absolutely no good. My opponent established the Quaking Punch lock and took a free win that I had completely given away, as my Seismitoad EX was locked into the active spot.

2-1

**Lunch Break**
I'm thankful we had a lunch break here, because if we hadn't, I probably would have gone on hard tilt. I had lost one of my absolute best matchups I could have faced, all because of my own play mistake. But I took the lunch break to just breathe, and calm myself down before the next round started. Also, Austin's dad bought everybody Chick Fil-A, so free food was cool n_n

Round 4: vs Trevenant/Gengar EX
Le Sigh. My 2nd worst matchup (after Virizion/Genesect), I absolutely hated playing this deck. But there was nothing I could do about it, so I planned to try and steal a tie.

Game 1: I started Seismitoad and 2 Corphish. He went first with a Phantump, and turn 1 Wally'd into Trevenant. Turn 2, he did 60/20/20. Turn 3 he did 60/20/20. Turn 4, he went KO/KO/KO and took 4 prizes. I just scooped.

Game 2: My opponent had a very awkward start. He still got a turn 1 wally, but he was dead drawing, and eventually had to Sycamore away 2 more of his Trevenant. I just want as aggressive as possible to kill the one he had active, and when he evolved to a second one, I Lysandre'd that one active and KO'd it as well. My opponent scooped pretty quickly after I KO'd his last Trevenant.

Game 3: I My opponent was able to turn 1 Wally once more + immediately lock up my items. My opponent got a Gengar EX out fairly quickly, and was setting up for a Dark Corridor -> Trevenant loop. Before he was able to do so, I Lysandre'd it, played Laser, Enhanced away his Double, and used Quaking Punch for 60 after poison. He attaches, and Dark Corridors away. I Lysandre'd the Gengar a second time, played Head Ringer, Muscle Band, and Laser, hidding him for 80, totaling for 140, and he stayed asleep between turns. This was huge, because the poison damage made it so he was KO'd coming back into my turn. After this, I kept using Quaking Punch for 50, as he kept pushing up Trevenant. He eventually ran out, and pushed up a Phantump, and then used N, hoping to hit his last Trevenant, but he missed, so I Quaking Punched 2 times for the Ko and the win.

3-1

Round 5: vs Seismitoad/Crawdaunt
A dead mirror. Gross. This was not something I was looking forward to.

Game 1: My opponent started Keldeo EX, and was dead drawing. He still managed to use Secret Sword and Laser to get a KO on the Shaymin EX I started with, but I pushed up a Seismitoad, Laser'd him to sleep, and N'd him immediately after. He dead drew after this and scooped.

Game 2: My opponent hit no suporters for the second game in a row, so I just set up a Quaking Punch lock and he conceded very quickly. It was unfortunate to see him go down like that, I really hate dead drawing, so I know the frustration.

4-1

Round 6: vs Colorless Mega Rayquaza

Game 1: Colorless Mega Rayquaza is one of my favorite matchups as a Toad/Crawdaunt player. I honestly believe i win this matchup a solid 90% of the time. However, before I had even drawn a card, my opponent had an active Mega Rayquaza with no less than SEVEN benched pokemon and SIX ENERGY on the active. I don't care what deck you're playing, you lose that game lol

Game 2: His start on turn 1 is almost, but not quite as explosive as his last one. However this time, I didn't whiff an early Quaking Punch. Unfortunately, it was irrelevant as I hit 7/8 tails on Crushing Hammer and was unable to come back from his explosive start. He just ran through 3 seismitoad very quickly and won the match. I wasn't too upset as I expected to lose 1 round to sheer luck, and my opponent, Michael, was only 10 points away from his worlds invite (which he got!) so I was happy my unlucky loss was to him.

4-2

Round 7: vs Virizion/Genesect
I still can't believe somebody actually played this deck at this tournament. I was unprepared.

Game 1: He played Shaymin and Jirachi, so I knew my gameplan was going to be to remove a bunch of energy early, get 1 KO on a Virizion or something, and then steal 4 prizes purely from the little guys (Shaymin and Jirachi.) Well, I removed a bunch of energy, and I KO'd a Virizion. Unfortunately, on the turn I Lysandre'd the jirachi, he was able to bail it out and Emerald Slash to get more energy into play, so I just couldn't win. Megalo Cannon > Seismitoad.

Game 2: See above, played the exact same as game 1.

Austin played on live stream during this round, as he and Andrew Mahone on stream, as they were both 6-0. Austin got smacked around by Ninetales/Raichu in less than 10 minutes, but not before we got this gem from Virbank City:

2c7693b694.png

4-3

Round 8: vs Mega Manectric/Garbodor
We both knew we would be eliminated from contention if we tied, so we agreed that prize count in game 3 would determine the winner.

Game 1: Mega Manectric got online very quickly, and even though he had to give up a turn to mega evolve thanks to Head Ringer, Turbo Bolt for 110 was still big damage compared to the 40 per turn I was doing. He was also able to free retreat out of poison, which was rather annoying. He eventually set up Silent Lab, and my Jirachi/Shaymin were rendered useless, so I scooped.

Game 2: My opponent dead drew, so I slowly quaking punched him to death. I was also very fortunate in the form of Crushing Hammer heads this game, so he was unable to really do anything.

Game 3: Time was called, and Mega Manectric is just plain faster than Seismitoad is. He was able to Turbo Bolt and get 2 prizes early, so he was ahead in prizes at the end of the game, so I conceded.

4-4

Round 9: vs Yveltal
Game 1: I had the win in my deck, but it was with the wrong card. I ran through all of my VS Seekers, so I was unable to play Trump Card. I had 2 cards left in my deck, and 2 prizes left. I needed either a Laser or a Lysandre to win the game, and my last 2 cards in my deck were Virbank and Laser...or so I thought. I Sycamored my hand to deck myself out, only to find myself staring at a Virbank City Gym and a Lysandre. Oops.

Game 2: I didn't deck myself this game, and just kept removing his energy from play as he attached them. I Lysandre'd up both of his toads, and slowly killed them. He was also unable to get Darkrai out this game, so he wasn't able to retreat anything.

Time was called after game 2, so we just tied.

4-4-1. Gross. After starting 4-1, I just crashed and burned really hard. I was very disappointed. However, I gave my list to Austin, and he ended up making top 32, and eventually, top 8. He played Virizion/Genesect in expanded and lost in top 4 in a mirror match to Dane Schussler. It was tons of fun to cheer him on through Sunday, and watch him make top 8, and I'm very happy he made it that far. Overall the tourney was fun, and I'm looking forward to just US Nationals now!

Props:
~Jimmy Ballard's events always run smoothly
~Austin making top 4
~Toad/Crabs was definitely the play
~Virizion/Genesect was definitely the day 2 play
~Austin getting colressed for 13
~selling stuff for cash $$$
~meeting new folks and re-visiting old friends
~Jimmy Ballard had to wear a Packers Jersey because he lost a bet

Slops:
~Scrubbing out after starting off so well
~Austin's opponent got stupidly lucky in top 4
~I had to sell cards I wanted to keep to pay for gas $ to get home :/
~Enrique and Alec not doing so well with the same list me and Austin had
~I didn't play any old format games :[

Tough break man! I can tell you that all 3 of my states were like that. Start off great then lose the rest.... Horrible feeling but it's Pokemon and it happens sometimes.

Sorry about that :( Buuuuuut YAY CRABS. I'm glad you played it and convinced everyone else to play it, it's a really strong deck. It is definitely just unlucky to lost against ray and toad shaymin though. Also Jeffrey's regs run was insane but he lost to toad puff in finals lel

Yeah, I can't be too upset. I'm familiar with this crashing/burning feeling - at nats 2012 I went from 5-1 to 5-4 thanks to Dual Ball quad tails and epic prize cards <___<. I know I made the right deck choice for this tournament, it was just a couple of unlucky matchups. (and one dumb play mistake in r3.) Hopefully Nationals will yield better results.

This is clearly karma for being such a scum lord.

Beached Whales - A 2015 US Nationals Report
So there I was, sitting at home on a quiet June evening, when suddenly, my good pal Austin texts me a groupchat that I'm in with my other hometown TCG Players - Enrique, Cody, and Alec. The text read as follows:

"Breaking news: Brandon and I broke the format, no joke. Buy your Wailords."

Thus began the journey of a lifetime. We all, including Enrique, did the only logical thing. "Austin, you're bad, this deck is a joke, blah blah blah." Thankfully, Austin and Brandon ignored us and played us with the deck, and showed us the potential in it. The ensuing month was a process of "but what do we do against this matchup?" *adds more cards* "but what about this matchup?" *adds more cards* After our month of playtesting, stressing, and trying our hardest to keep the deck a secret, this is the list we finished with:

4 Wailord EX
3 Suicune

4 AZ
4 Cassius
4 Max Potion
4 Rough Seas
4 Hard Charm
4 Pokemon Fan Club
4 Team Flare Grunt
3 Skyla
3 N
3 Enhanced Hammer
2 Lysandre
2 Hugh
2 Silent Lab
1 Sacred Ash
1 Xerosic
1 Trick Shovel
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Shauna
1 Dowsing Machine

We felt very confident about our matchups going in - only 1 meta deck boasted a positive matchup over us: Metal. Random decks with Bunnelby were also problematic, but we weren't too scared of facing them. Everything else could be taken care of by systematically removing resources from play, and then trapping something active without the ability to attack. You then passively wait for your opponent to deck themselves out, as they can no longer do anything. Walking into nats with a completely unexpected deck was a new feeling to me, and this was a ton of fun, despite never declaring an attack over 9 rounds.

Arriving at the tournament I got to meet up with several beachers including Machamp the Champion and Blah. We discussed whales.dec and how nobody would expect it, and just kind of hung out. Masters hat a total of 911 players with 2 flights. 9 rounds of swiss would determine a top 32 cut from each flight to play on in day 2. After the player meeting, I found my round 1 opponent, and the games began!

Round 1: vs Aegislash EX/Suicune/Snorlax

Of all the decks I expected to play at nationals, this was not one of them. It was basically the same deck as Wailord, but in a different color. Rather than focusing on absorbing hits and running your opponent out of resources, it was focused on trapping something in the active spot and ignoring damage completely. It was a unique concept.

Game 1: My opponent and I realize what we're up against, and start draw/passing each other to death. However, my deck has the advantage. Due to the fact that Wailord is an absurdly fat pokemon, my deck was based around the ability to take large amounts of damage and then heal it off. One of those heal cards was cassius. My opponent's deck did not play Cassius, so I was able to shuffle extra cards back into my deck while my opponent really couldn't. Because of this, my opponent was forced to waste cards like N and Hugh in order to stay alive in the match, while I didn't have to waste any resources at all. When he Hugh'd, I would discard pokemon, and then I could Sacred Ash them back in, and then I eventually trick shoveled him for the victory.

1-0

Round 2: vs Metal

Game 1: I knew this was an unfavorable matchup from the get-go, but with Silent Lab added to the deck, I also knew it wasn't unwinnable. My opponent had a very standard metal.dek setup, and Compressor'd some energy into the discard while setting up Bronzong's and Heatran. I set a Rough Seas in play to try and bait him into laying a counterstadium, and also to heal 30 each turn. With Hard Charms, Wailord barely avoids a 2HKO from Heatran, but I am still forced to play a healing card every other turn, and play N when I run out of healing cards in my hand. Unfortunately, off of my N, I didn't draw any other ways to refresh my hand aside from VS Seeker, so I'm forced to waste two of them just to try and draw extra healing cards.

When it came down to the late-game, my lack of VS Seekers really hurt. My opponent never counter-stadium'd, so I dropped Silent Lab and Lysandre'd a Bronzong into the active. He then played a Steel Shelter after Colressing for like 7. He must have prized 1, because he didn't draw into another one all game after I re-played down a second Silent Lab. Unfortunately, however, my lack of VS Seekers meant I was very limited to the number of Lysandre's I was allowed to play, so when my opponent played AZ, it set him up to be able to VS Seeker for it again and again. I wasn't able to trap anything in the active spot. I actually ended up decking myself out this game due to not being able to VS Seeker for Cassius, and because I had to burn my Sacred Ash very early for just 2 pokemon. In the end though, I think he still would have won as I was very low on healing cards.

1-1

Round 3: vs Fighting/Garbodor

Game 1: Fighting decks were our deck's favorite matchups. I would enhanced Hammer away all of his Strong energy, while Flare Grunting away all of his fighting energy, making it very hard for my opponent to ever get more than 2 energy on a single pokemon. Over the course of the match, I was also able to Megaphone, and then Xerosic the Float Stones off of his pokemon, so I eventually Lysandre'd up a Garbodor and trapped it there. He conceded and moved onto game 2.

Game 2: He played much smarter this game, keeping Hawluchas up in the active position while stacking energy onto his Benched Lucario-EX. I was still able to Enhanced away the Strong Energy, so even with Fighting Stadium and Muscle Band, Lucario only maxed out at 120 damage, just short of a 2hko. I just took my time to Flare Grunt away all of the Basic Fightings he stacked on it, and then waited for his deck to run out.

2-1

Round 4: vs ???

I don't remember anything about this round, but I won and made it to 3-1.

Round 5: vs Seismitoad/Garbodor

Game 1: I got really hyped for this match because I was playing against somebody I should have beaten in Madison Regionals but lost to. I flipped over a Wailord and 2 Suicune, which prompted the response "Oh good lord." He came at me with an interesting strategy: He stacked 3 energy onto his Seismitoad, and then repeatedly used Grenade Hammer. With muscle band it did threaten to 2hko, but it allowed me to access my item cards. Eventually, he Grenade Hammer'd so much that he KO'd 2 of his own Shaymin-EX, and gave me 4 prizes. Then, he N'd me to 2, which is when his plan became clear to me. He wanted me to have a low hand size, thus having a lower chance of healing/removing energy, because he figured my only draw supporter was N. Unfortunately for him, I eventually drew into my Shauna, and put myself up to 5, and was able to go about my business as usual, taking game 1.

Game 2: My opponent decided to just Quaking Punch this time around, which was much more effective. However, 30 damage at a time wasn't enough to get there with how much time game 1 had taken, so I took the match.

4-1

Round 6: vs Wailord

I got paired against Cody. We ID'd because LOL mirror matches. This was also a strategic draw because we found out there was a lone Bunnelby lock deck up at the top tables, and it didn't have a draw on its record yet, so we put one on ours in order to avoid it in future rounds.

4-1-1

Round 7: vs Landorus/Bats

Game 1: I made the dumbest misplay in the history of the game. Here's what happened. The night before we went into nationals, Enrique and Cody asked me: "Sean, do you want to playtest a game or two where your opponent does nothing but draw + pass?" I replied with "No, that's OK. Wailord wins against Draw + pass." Which is not wrong. Wailord does beat draw/pass. Unfortunately, because I never actually playtested against it, I didn't know HOW wailord beats draw/pass, and this came back to bite me. My opponent and I draw/passed for about 15 minutes before I hugh'd him with 1 card left in my deck. I hugh'd him. With 1 card left. In my deck. And put myself down to 5 cards in hand. My opponent then played N and forced me to draw all of my remaining cards. #fail

Game 2: We did the same thing, but I hugh'd with more cards left in my decl, thankfully. This time around, my opponent drew/passed all the way until there was 1 card left, so I trick shovel'd him to steal a tie that I didn't deserve.

4-1-2

Round 8: vs Toad/Bats

Game 1: My opponent drew/passed again, and kept Colressing himself down to 0 cards. Normally, I would just N him after each Colress to put him back up to 6 cards. Unfortunately, I was extra dumb this game and let a wailord die really early, so my Ns would only put him at 4, which meant I would eventually be the first to deck out. I could eventually put myself back at the card advantage, but it was a long, laborious process of Flare Grunting every time he got enough energy to Quaking Punch, Cassiusing a guy back in the deck, and then having him N me back to 6 cards to start all over. There just wasn't enough time left on the clock for me to pull it out. Because my deck doesn't take prize cards, I couldn't agree before the match started to have a prize count determine the winner, so unfortunately, we tied. I felt awful for my opponent, JW Kriewall, because he's a great guy and a great player, and I hated eliminating both of us from contention by tying, but I still believed that I could win, and he still believed that he could win, so there was nothing we could to.

4-1-3

Round 9: vs Mega Manectric/Mewtwo/Articuno

Game 1: My opponent had heard of my deck, but hadn't actually seen it in action yet, so he wasn't sure how to play against it. Game 1 I was able to flare grunt away all of his lightning off of his lone Mega Manectric. His only attacker left was Mewtwo, which did have like 7 energy on it, but Wailord of course had 0, so he was still only 3HKOing. He scooped and went to game 2.

Game 2: He played much better, getting 2 Mega Manectric set up, to cycle in case I Flare Grunted, and Articuno to be able to attack suicune, but he ran out of time to take all 6 prizes, so I took another set.

Final Record: 5-1-3, 18 points, 54th in my flight.

I met up with my friends afterwards, and every single Wailord player in blue flight was 6-1-2 or better, Enrique being 7-1-1, guaranteeing them top cut. In orange flight, we were not so lucky. Cody finished 6-2-1. He was 6-1-1 going into the last round, hoping to ID his way in, but his opponent, Dane Schussler, was playing Mega Manectric/VirGen. He had played and Tied Austin earlier that day, and thus knew exactly what to do against wailord to win, so he refused to ID, and ended up beating Cody for an extra 2 match points. Cody ended up bubbling out and missing the cut for the 2nd year in a row at Nationals. Austin was equally unlucky, he was 5-0-3 going into the last round, and got paired up against Flareon that had 1 Bunnelby teched into their deck. He prized the Bunnelby game 1, so Austin ended up winning, but games 2 and 3 went to his opponent. Austin was 1 card in his deck away from tying and potentially bubbling. RIP.

Days 2 and 3 were fun, though. I played some old format decks while watching how my friends did in top cut. Michael Lux unfortunately went 2-3-1 and didn't make it through. Brandon got to 33 match points and STILL missed cut. He went 4-1-1 on day 2 and still missed cut. His opponent in the Last Round, Dylan Bryan was initially going to ID him, but he changed his mind and decided to play it out, winning, and bumping Brandon out of top cut. This came back to bite him though. Because of this, Jason K was the 8th seed in, and then beat him in his top 8 game. If he had ID'd Brandon, Jason would have missed cut on resistance, and the way the brackets worked, Dylan actually might have ended up winning the whole thing.

We cheered hard for our boy Enrique, who made it through as the 6th seed in top 8, winning against Hippowdon in top 8, and Mega Manectric/Garbodor in top 4. He eventually lost to Jason K in the finals, who played the clock flawlessly, just getting 4 prizes in before time was called, forcing a "sudden" death game. Unfortunately, Whales doesn't take prize cards, so Enrique eventually got N'd to 1, and was unable to scoop up his active Wailord-EX, and lost, giving Jason K the nationals win he's wanted for so long.

All-in-all, this nationals was probably the most fun I've had ever in the history of the game. People came up to us afterwards, saying we were the RaiEggs of 2015, and congratulating us on a great secret deck. It was extremely satisfying to know that the WORST any of us with the deck did was 5-1-3, being just 1 point away from a chance at bubbling in - none of us could have even dreamed of that happening. Enrique also needed a top 16 to seal his worlds invite, and he got 2nd, so he got it and then some. We will be watching the worlds stream from our home in Green Bay, cheering feverishly as Austin and Enrique compete for the title of world champion in August.

Props:
~BEACHED WHALES
~2nd place, 9th place, top 64, and 3 top 128s
~Enrique got like 900 boxes and 2.5k for prizes
~I won 18 packs that were pretty good - Latios EX, FA Colorless Ray, RH Absol, and other stuff.
~Watching Virbank City go absolutely nuts over the course of the weekend
~A lot of people were really salty
~Team Green Bay finally getting some recognition, after coming so close so many times
~Playing old decks
~Meeting MtC, Blah, Jeffrey Cheng, and other friends from around the nation
~Sold my Wailords and Suicunes amidst all the hype >:]
~TO ran the event very on time
~That moment when Enrique Trick Shoveled a Virbank, the crowd lost their minds.

Slops:
~Some scummy asshat stole one of Jimmy Ballard's oldschool decks
~Seismitoad won :(
~The Comfort Suites by the convention center is hands-down the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life
~WE WERE SO CLOSE
~Somebody had a Clefairy on their team in VGC finals but I never got to see what it did
~My ride wanted to leave before somebody asked for everybody that played Wailord for a group photo :/
~Leaving the tournament - it was such a great experience
~Cody bailed on us after missing cut to be with his girlfriend - paid for a bus ticket home so he wasn't here to cheer on Enrique
~Whales is probably dead now that Metal players know how to beat it and anybody can play Bunnelby
~All of J-Wittz's god awful puns

Thank you for this detailed report! I had so much fun watching the Whales take on anything in their path! You guys really had something good going on here. Please keep these up, though I disagree about J-Wittz's puns. I had a Wailord of a time with that splash you made! ;)

Slops: Not trying hard enough to convince Blah to play Whales so he could get 2nd instead >:[

Oh, and get someone on making that playmat. I want to see a Wailord flailing around on its back at the beach on stream at worlds :D

Enrique Avila is your homie? There's no Wailord I could have seen that one coming. Mad props to that guy for a great call and a great deck.

How does this fare against Virgen? If you prize the Xerosic you pretty much lose.

VirGen is actually (to the surprise of everyone it seems) a positive matchup for whales. If wailord has a hard charm on it, it actually can't be ohko'd by megalo cannon lest they have multiple delays in play, while Suicune has safeguard. Basically, you make them G-booster 6 times to take all 6 of their prize cards, which means they have to discard a total of 12 energy, plus whatever I get rid of with flare grunt + vs seeker, which basically means they run out of energy. And I can troll them by discarding their g-booster with megaphone/xerosic.

So your worst nightmare is Bunnelby. That's it? What other bad matchups does this deck have? I have long wanted a deck like this but now that your bud has popularized it, I don't wanna be seen as a copycat but OH WHALE

Metal. We were able to get away with it at nationals because a lot of lists played 2 or less stadiums, while we played 2 labs and dowsing machine, which meant we would win the stadium war. We could also potentially bait them into counterstadiuming the rough seas with surprise on our side. However, now that people understand how this deck works, metal players will now hold their stadiums and wait solely to counter the silent labs. With just rough seas in play, metal can draw, attack, pass, and eventually run wailord out of healing cards, while countering silent labs as necessary so they can continue to abuse rush in from Keldeo EX. I also wouldn't be surprised if some metal lists went up to 3 stadiums like Chase Moloney's Canadian nationals winning list to make it even easier on them.

mega Manectric decks that played a powerful, non-ex attacker to reliably kill Suicune also win against this deck, the most common variant being MegaMan/Zapdos. All they would have to do is set up 2 mega manectrics to cycle turbo volts in order to counteract our energy hate, and keep the zapdos in play only to attack suicunes. Then, like metal, they draw, attack, and pass, eventually running us out of healing cards. However, most of the MegaMan variants we saw at nationals didn't play a solid non-ex attacker. Some relied on either Empoleon, which doesn't work because the opponent is forced to lie down extra Pokemon for decent damage with Attack command (lord knows we play like 2 bench max lol) that later became targets for Lysandre. Others, like the list Enrique played against in top 4, relied on Garbodor. This also didn't work because we will megaphone and xerosic all of the float stones off the Garbodor, and then trap it active with Lysandre.

Slops: Arjun not being there

Congrats b o y z, I was cheering for whales from when you told us about it to the very end.

Back