Delta Species is best species
Years have passed since the last researchers left Holon, but a new expedition - Zeta Unit - has led scientists, trainers, and explorers alike back to the mysterious Mirage Forest, now home to many creatures never seen in the region before. New discoveries await, and the research team hopes to find a rekindled hope in their search for the elusive Mew, and perhaps even more. But a sense lingers in the air that not everything has been left just as it was once the original Holon settlement was left behind. What new secrets and surprises lie in wait as the new Holon scientists return to continue their research?
--> card gallery
(spoilers abound for upcoming cards)
After 6 years in development h*ck, this set has finally reached a point where new progress is locked in and can be tracked via a dedicated thread. This series of cards makes use of my Omnium blank, and hearkens back to coolest mechanic added to the card game: Delta Species. I thinks it's been vastly underrepresented as a mechanic in the custom card community over the years and I'm happy to finally give it the recognition it deserves. Many years of refining my blanks has gone into this, along with several setlist revamps, rebalancing, and learning crazy amounts of new methods to do everything from wording to set logo design.
The logo, for those not familiar with the Delta Species era, is based on both the EX Delta Species logo and the EX Dragon Frontiers logo, and I gotta say I'm really proud of the final product. The design echoes the very soul of the sets I'm creating, as the lore is that, after years of having left the Holon region, a new group of scientists is returning to the site of their experiment only to find that nearly every Pokémon in the Pokédex is now present, and over time they start to learn why this is and uncover more and more secrets that have developed over their absence.
The first set is meant to be loosely more focused on Zeta Unit's Pokémon and the Pokémon in the outskirts of the affected areas of Holon, so this one will feature the fewest Delta Species out of all my sets. More or less this is supposed to set the stage for all the different kinds of mechanics you should expect to see in the set, and the focus will narrow down more and more over time as the lore unfolds.
All cards I create with my Omnium are balanced with the HGSS era of the official TCG in mind, and are meant to be able to compete fairly with them (admittedly I'm pretty bad at balancing, so some numbers on these cards may change in the future). However, it uses none of the gimmicks from DPPt or HGSS, except LEGEND. Although this is Omnium, many gimmicks (particularly any of the multiprize gimmicks from BW onward) will not feature on any of my cards simply because I don't like them or find them interesting in the slightest. It will also feature alternate visions for things such as Mega Pokémon or Dynamax/Gigantamax, the latter of which currently is not implemented in Omnium.
Anywho, here's some specs about Frontiers Renewed:
- The set abbreviation is FRR
- The set contains 120 cards, of which 88 are Pokémon, 19 are Trainers, 4 are Special Energy, and 9 are Basic Energy. There are 6 secret rare cards, so the official count is 114.
- Gimmicks featured in this set are:
- Dual-Type (25 cards)
- Delta Species (16 cards)
- Mega Pokémon (4 cards + 4 Mega Stones)
- ex (3 cards)
- BREAK (3 cards)
- Prism Star (3 cards)
- Held Item (2 cards)
- Baby Pokémon (2 cards)
- Status Cards (2 cards)
- Pokémon-LEGEND (2 cards)
- Crystal Pokémon (2 cards)
- Holon Pokémon (1 card)
- Hidden Machines (1 card)
- Wording is decidedly SM-era, with a small handful of exceptions.
- "Defending Pokémon" is preferred over "Active Pokémon" in most cases in attacks. "Active Pokémon" is still used in most abilities.
- "Special Pokémon" is a new term and for the moment applies to any Pokémon for which your opponent would take 2 or more prizes for knocking it out. I prefer this wording over "Multiprize Pokémon", as others use, because this leaves room for other very powerful gimmicks to be identified as Special Pokémon if I feel it is needed. To avoid confusion, any Pokémon that would apply here are specifically labeled as "Special Pokémon" on the card itself, underneath the type symbol.
- Wordings are designed to keep multi-battles in mind. So cases where your opponent / opposing team have two Pokémon Active will not be ignored. There are cards in this set the specifically reference whether they hit one or all Active Pokémon.
- As mentioned, all cards are meant to be balanced for the HGSS era. Not all gimmicks quite are able to nestle seamlessly into this format, but I've done my best to keep it in-line with the power levels of those cards.
- Again, these blanks are Omnium, and can be found here. They are 1260 x 1760 and are meant to be able to handle every gimmick that has appeared in the card game to date, plus a few new ones (although some official gimmicks have yet to be implemented).
- The holosheets are Acid Wash, whatever you call the BREAK holosheet (both made by me), and Cosmo for promos and LEGENDS (though I haven't decided yet between Acid Wash or Cosmo for those). The Cosmo Holosheet is one of @aschefield101's.