Discussion Older Pokemon Confirmed/Hinted for the Alola Dex

Updated the OP with new Alola Forms revealed in CoroCoro today.

And in doing so, something just occurred to me, the protagonist's mom has a regular Meowth as a pet, and yet Meowth has an Alola Form. So just because a Pokemon is hinted to appear in the game doesn't mean it'll appear in its standard form.

It looks like the 'dex should have a lot of water types; after all, this region makes Hoenn look like Sonic and Knuckles. However, for particular Pokémon, I hope to see the Mightyena, Mamoswine, Tyranitar, Porygon-Z, and Victreebel lines return.

And maybe, just maybe, the return of Missingno. in glorious (OK, maybe not) 3D...

Updated the OP with new Alola Forms revealed in CoroCoro today.

And in doing so, something just occurred to me, the protagonist's mom has a regular Meowth as a pet, and yet Meowth has an Alola Form. So just because a Pokemon is hinted to appear in the game doesn't mean it'll appear in its standard form.

The protag is confirmed to have recently moved to Alola (I'm guessing from Kanto or maybe Johto), so it makes perfect sense that their mother has a standard Meowth.

Also, I'm hoping that the Alola dex isn't too similar to the Kalos dex. I've seen a lot of older Pokemon that were in the Kalos dex in the trailers and it got me a little worried.

This trailer confirms a bunch more!

- Ghastly line and Drowzee line being used by Skull grunts
- Zubat line being used by Plumeria (boo)
- Spinarak/Ariados being used by Guzma (yay! :D)

Also there's a Delibird in the overworld at 0:25.

This trailer confirms a bunch more!

- Ghastly line and Drowzee line being used by Skull grunts
- Zubat line being used by Plumeria (boo)
- Spinarak/Ariados being used by Guzma (yay! :D)

Also there's a Delibird in the overworld at 0:25.

We've already seen a couple of those before, but updated (Gengar, Zubat, Ariados, and Delibird have been seen in previous trailers).

I just recently read that Dragonite was put into the Japanese Sun and Moon site under a category of "previously discovered Pokemon" or something like that. Basically Dragonite's line if going to be in the Alola regional Pokedex, most likely without an Alola form.

In Turtonator's release vid, it's seen battling a Torkoal, as well as a Tirtouga and Carracosta, so those could go in hinted.

I'm not 100% sure that simply appearing in these reveal videos necessarily implies they'll be included in the regional dex. With the possible exception of trainer owned but you know these things often say game footage not final.

I'm not 100% sure that simply appearing in these reveal videos necessarily implies they'll be included in the regional dex. With the possible exception of trainer owned but you know these things often say game footage not final.

That's why I'm putting them in "hinted". It's not a guarantee that they'll show up, but the Pokemon they show off in these trailers have a tendency to make it into the regional dex. I only mark them as "confirmed" if they've been blatantly shown to appear in the game, either through the Pokedex itself, wild Pokemon and trainer encounters, or through official media relating to the regional dex.

That's why I'm putting them in "hinted". It's not a guarantee that they'll show up, but the Pokemon they show off in these trailers have a tendency to make it into the regional dex. I only mark them as "confirmed" if they've been blatantly shown to appear in the game, either through the Pokedex itself, wild Pokemon and trainer encounters, or through official media relating to the regional dex.

In that case Gastly's line would be added to Confirmed instead of Hinted since Haunter was shown to be used by Team Skull in the same video Drowzee was.

I've discussed the generation 2 legends a lot with some friends I met at worlds last year. We came to the conclusion that navel rock will be an area sort of like sky pillar in OR/AS. You will go there after you have completed the story and fight ho-oh and lugia as the success to the side story. Now the only reason I see this as plausible is the fact that all of the alolan pokemon are gen 1 pokemon, which mean alola is close to kanto. Guess what else is close to kanto, the sevii islands. Guess whats between the Sevii Islands, Navel rock. It just all adds up, and makes perfect sense, and we might even see special Z moves for the two like we saw with dragon ascent mega ray!!!!!

The new English trailer doesn't show much, but the Japanese one hinted at/confirmed a lot of older Pokemon!

Drifloon
Misdreavus
Pelipper
Poliwhirl
Sudowoodo
Alakazam
Bastiodon
Happiny
Granbull
Riolu
Wigglytuff

Also saw boats shaped like Huntail, Whiscash, Steelix and Wailord. But that could mean anything.

Last edited:
The new English trailer doesn't show much, but the Japanese one hinted at/confirmed a lot of older Pokemon!

Drifloon
Misdreavus
Pelipper
Poliwhirl
Sudowoodo
Alakazam
Bastiodon
Happiny
Granbull
Riolu
Wigglytuff

Also saw boats shaped like Huntail, Whiscash, Steelix and Wailord. But that could mean anything.
I'm pretty sure the boat you're thinking of is actually Wishiwashi School forme, not Steelix. Thena said it looked like an Onix originally, but it's more likely to be aquatic Pokémon. :p There was also a Magikarp boat shown, as well as an orange boat with a circular pattern on top. I actually think it really looks like Castform-Sunny, but I'm unsure.

Older pokemon returning that are pretty much confirmed by the japanese site:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/

scroll to the bottom, and you see, under the title: これまでに発見されているポケモン(Pokemon that have been found so far), you see the following pokemon:

Dragonite
Zubat
Pinsir
Munchlax/Snorlax
Gyarados
Spearow
Lapras
Arcanine
Psyduck

So these are returning mons.

I'd certainly love to see a cameo appearence of this little fellow:
206px-PichuPR3art.png