Official Card Dex App To Be Discontinued

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TPCi has announced the Pokemon TCG Card Dex app will be discontinued on September 20th. The app’s services will be inaccessible and collection data won’t be exportable.
Regarding its removal, TPCi states:
The decision was made to dedicate our full resources to the ongoing development of Pokémon TCG Live, ensuring that we’re devoting our efforts to providing players with the best possible digital Pokémon TCG experience.
In place of the app, TPCi encourages players to use Pokemon.com or to build a digital collection in Pokémon TCG Live.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
It was just outclassed by a ton of other third party apps. They didn't have any older sets on it which was disappointing.
Perhaps a contributing factor in its discontinuation. If other apps serve the same purpose better, no need for them to keep this one.

Funny how PTCGO didn't have this problem.
Because that was made by a real dev team instead of whatever interns TPCi could find.

I predict that we'll hear about Live's shutdown sometime next year. I don't think they want to have any digital TCG apps and are just making Live intentionally bad so that it appears there's no interest in it.

Funny how PTCGO didn't have this problem.
My personal theory is that their budget for PTCGL is lower than what they were paying Dire Wolf for PTCGO. In fact, I think it might be possible that their entire reason for replacing PTCGO with PTCGL is to save money.

I predict that we'll hear about Live's shutdown sometime next year. I don't think they want to have any digital TCG apps and are just making Live intentionally bad so that it appears there's no interest in it.
I don't think this will work...plenty of people use PTCGL despite its badness because there isn't a better alternative at the moment for playing huge quantities of PTCG games whenever you want.

I don't think they want to have any digital TCG apps and are just making Live intentionally bad so that it appears there's no interest in it.
Eh... Interns or not, shutting PTCGO down with no replacement would have fostered less ill-will and have been cheaper than developing Live, paying Direwolf to maintain PTCGO for an extra year because Live wasn't ready, and continuing to pay Direwolf to maintain the code card system for another 1-2 years before shutting it all down anyway. They probably want to make a usable digital client, they're just haven't succeeded.

... continuing to pay Direwolf to maintain the code card system for another 1-2 years before shutting it all down anyway. They probably want to make a usable digital client, they're just haven't succeeded.
that's a good point. I haven't thought of that.
getting rid of the code cards would be a great way to actually springboard the game into a paid live service system.

I didn't even know this was a thing but like. what was the impact on resources from uploading a set of jpegs to a server once every couple of months
Time wasted uploading a set of jpegs instead of doing literally anything else, I guess?

I know not many people used the app but I would usually use it if I’m looking for a very specific card. Hope they maybe come out with a better version?

I tried it once and it kept thinking all my reverse holos were a “Silent Lab” Stadium card from XY. Instantly deleted the app.

Back