Discussion OCIC Deck Testing

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Hello all, TES here.
Tomorrow (in australian time) is New Years Day and one of my 'resolutions' is to actually have the effort to start testing for OCIC. I have a list of decks I would love for you to look at the list and give feedback. NOTE: some decks such as Bulu, Metagross/Solgaleo and stall I consider "my safe plays" because I know how to play the deck well and had success with these decks.

Here they are split into Archetypes
Malamar;
- Ultra Necrozma
- Malamar Spread
- GasKan
Zoroark;
- Zororoc
- Zorocontrol
Spread;
- BuzzGarbWeavile
- Koko, Latios, Weavile, Magical Swap
- Passimian
- White Kyurem
Vikavolt;
- Bulu
- Rayquaza
Stall/Mill;
- Regi
- Genesect
- Wailord
- Wailord ttgx
- Venusaur ttgx
- Sylveon Stall
- Rhyperior Mill
Other;
- Blacephalon
- MetagrossSolgaleo
- BuzzRocTales
- GardiSwampertTales
- Granbull
- Lost March
New Decks From TTGX
- Lightning Box
- Zapdos Jirachi
- Zapdos Jolteon

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

I think Zorodeci won't be as viable for ocic bc zorodeci tries to ohko your pokemon with the combo of feather arrow and riotous beating, with the new ttgx they would have to 2-3 shot it

I genuinely think at the moment that VikaRay will be positioned very well after Team Up is released and in time for OCIC. These Tag Team GXs are proving to be very powerful (at least from the information I get about the meta in Japan), meanwhile Rayquaza has the potential to knock them out in one clean hit. The addition of Tapu Koko Prism and Shaymin Prism are meaningful buffs that give this deck a nice boost in power and ability to bounce back after a knock out on a Rayquaza. Japanese tournament results from the last Champions League seems to suggest that Alolan Ninetales GX is falling out of fashion. There won't be any new Stage 2s introduced that would lead me to believe that Alolan Ninetales GX would bounce back in usage after the new set comes out, so you should be safe on that front. You mentioned that Tapu Bulu is a "safe pick" for you. I would strongly consider testing VikaRay if that is the case.

Otherwise, my other pick would be the "Lightning Box" you listed which I assume is something to the effect of Jirachi + Zapdos/Zeraora GX/Tapu Koko GX/Pikachu-Zekrom. Don't live in Japan nor do I have the ability to actively follow every metagame development in Japan, but I follow some Japanese twitter accounts and I keep seeing tweets about Lightning Box winning their equivalent of League Cups/Challenges, so I assume it's a hot deck right now. This makes sense too. The consistency provided by Jirachi is amazing, along with a slew of different lightning attackers that can all dish out a ton of damage. Though Electropower, attackers in this deck too can knock out Tag Team GXs, and Pikachu Zekrom has this devastating ability to take 4+ prizes with a single attack and that is most definitely not something to overlook. This deck might take some practice to master, since you have so many different attackers and they all have unique attacks and give out different number of prize cards and such. But I feel like this is one of the more hyped decks of the next format.

If you want to have a quick sensing of winning decks in Japan, if you can, go on twitter and look through @Code_64_X timeline, he always retweets decks that win tournaments in Japan and you can get a scan of what lists works and what doesn't. While the tweets are in japanese, clicking translate tweet can easily help and the translations are fairly okay too.

Back