• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Ocean Wave (feat. Glaceon-EX and others)

Tesagk

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon - 16
  • 3 Glaceon-EX FAC 20
  • 2 Manaphy-EX BKP 116
  • 4 Regice AOR 24
  • 1 Remoraid BKT 32
  • 1 Octillery BKT 33
  • 3 Slowpoke BKP 19
  • 2 Slowking BKP 21

Trainer Cards - 32
  • 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
  • 3 Rough Seas PRC 137
  • 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
  • 2 Lysandre FLF 90
  • 1 Skyla BKP 122
  • 1 Super Rod BKT 149
  • 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
  • 1 Special Charge STS 105
  • 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
  • 2 N NVI 101
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
  • 4 Dive Ball PRC 125
  • 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 12
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy FAC 114
  • 8 Water Energy Energy 3
Strategy
The strategy for this deck is relatively straight-forward. Your Glaceon-EX is your main swing-stick, preventing damage from evolved Pokémon (including Mega evolutions). You can swap in a Regice to deal with basic EX Pokémon (or Pokémon who have safeguard). Your Slowkings act as a disrupt, but can be swapped in to fight against Pokémon who prevent damage from basic Pokémon.

Damage: low
The highest-damage ability is 70, though Psych-Up can swing for 80 if Slowking gets going.​

Skill: high
Even though the main swingers in the deck are straight-forward, a lot of the utility provided in the deck requires players to make tough choices as the "right" choice. Making this deck difficult to play well.​

Survivability: medium
The main strength of this deck is in its ability to prevent damage. However, since both damage-prevents are attack-based, the deck can still falter to decks that disrupt.​

Viability: ??
I'm not confident enough in my ability to rate a deck. This is definitely not a Tier 1 deck, but it may be Tier 2.​

-3 Birch
-1 Regice
-1 Slowpoke
-1 Trainers' Mail
-1 Manaphy EX
-1 Skyla
-DCE

+1 Ninja Boy
+1 Sycamore
+1 Basic Water
+4 Max Elixir
+1 Octillery
+1 Remoraid

Ninja Boy is really good in these sort of toolbox decks as it allows you to pick your attackers as the need arises. If your opponent switches to a basic EX to hit your Glaceon, you can Ninja Boy it into Regice next turn and start preventing that damage as well. Glaceon and Regice even have the same attack cost.

Pretty much always play 4 Sycamore. It is draw 7 100% of the time, unlike Birch, which is draw 7 only 50% of the time.

I cut a slowpoke and a Trainers' Mail because you only need 3 Trainers mail in this format (at least I've found that in testing) and a 2-2 line of your supporting mons is usually sufficient. For this same reason I bumped Octillery up to 2-2

I cut a DCE, Manaphy, Skyla, and a Regice because I felt like the numbers were excessive, and Max Elixir + the one basic energy help the toolbox style that the deck has. You have Special Charge and Super Rod to get the Pokemon and DCE back, and Skyla is non-essential in decks that don't run puzzles or tools.

This is technically all theorymon, so take it with a grain of salt, if you will.

-3 Birch
-1 Regice
-1 Slowpoke
-1 Trainers' Mail
-1 Manaphy EX
-1 Skyla
-DCE

+1 Ninja Boy
+1 Sycamore
+1 Basic Water
+4 Max Elixir
+1 Octillery
+1 Remoraid

Ninja Boy is really good in these sort of toolbox decks as it allows you to pick your attackers as the need arises. If your opponent switches to a basic EX to hit your Glaceon, you can Ninja Boy it into Regice next turn and start preventing that damage as well. Glaceon and Regice even have the same attack cost.

Pretty much always play 4 Sycamore. It is draw 7 100% of the time, unlike Birch, which is draw 7 only 50% of the time.

I cut a slowpoke and a Trainers' Mail because you only need 3 Trainers mail in this format (at least I've found that in testing) and a 2-2 line of your supporting mons is usually sufficient. For this same reason I bumped Octillery up to 2-2

I cut a DCE, Manaphy, Skyla, and a Regice because I felt like the numbers were excessive, and Max Elixir + the one basic energy help the toolbox style that the deck has. You have Special Charge and Super Rod to get the Pokemon and DCE back, and Skyla is non-essential in decks that don't run puzzles or tools.

This is technically all theorymon, so take it with a grain of salt, if you will.
I would maybe consider cutting the DCEs altogether and running the deck like old Water Toolbox, 4 Max Elixir, 12 basic water, and some Energy Switches.

Back