Obsidian Flames, World Championships 2023 Recap, and Lost Box Updates

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hello all PokeBeach readers! Here’s Gabriel again with another article, and this time, I’m going to talk a little about the new Obsidian Flames set; about some highlights of Worlds 2023, especially regarding the metagame; and, finally, about the lists for Giratina VSTAR / Lost Box and Dragonite V / Lost Box that I’m currently using.
Obsidian Flames Review
There are several Pokémon in Obsidian Flames that have competitive potential, but don’t seem to make much sense with what we have today. Toedscruel ex has a strong Ability that could see play depending on the metagame, while several Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokémon ex have offensive attack power, without the consistency to be applied competitively for now. In the Pokémon TCG...

Continue reading...

Charizard ex was basically guaranteed to be a top-tier Pokemon, but it's interesting to see it's considered a yet another powercreep. Obviously it's a card with massively inflated numbers that gives you everything for free, but now it gives away two prizes instead of three. In theory that should mean it slows the game down, but if the bulk of the game is decided in the first two turns, it doesn't really matter if you'll drag out the inevitable for 3 more turns or 6.

Charizard ex was basically guaranteed to be a top-tier Pokemon, but it's interesting to see it's considered a yet another powercreep. Obviously it's a card with massively inflated numbers that gives you everything for free, but now it gives away two prizes instead of three. In theory that should mean it slows the game down, but if the bulk of the game is decided in the first two turns, it doesn't really matter if you'll drag out the inevitable for 3 more turns or 6.
A simple and cheap zard counter will be nice because nothing can OHKO it

OBF seemd like a „sleeper” set with decent exs that would be good after two rotations when the game słows down as they mentioned it would be more evolution basen and comeback ready.

AND THAN they show paradox rift with new Basic „bang bang” pokemons which basicaly throw the whole słow down/evolutions out the Window….

Gabriel, thanks for writing this article. Your insights into Chien-Pao ex- and Miraidon ex’s performance at Worlds was completely new to me and showed me things about the meta which I would never have guessed otherwise. Please keep writing these sorts of articles. We greatly appreciate it.

Gabriel, thanks for writing this article. Your insights into Chien-Pao ex- and Miraidon ex’s performance at Worlds was completely new to me and showed me things about the meta which I would never have guessed otherwise. Please keep writing these sorts of articles. We greatly appreciate it.
Thank you so much for the words and feedback! I will keep doing my best ;)

Back