Discussion Number of Basics vs Mulliganing

semurphy444

Aspiring Trainer
I get that the disruption/stall decks know that they're going to mulligan... Besides those- is there a "magic" number of Basics that you'd want to limit your mulligans to avoid giving your opponent a huge advantage. Or do you just have as many basics that you need- and if it's only 7 or 8 you live with that 20-25% mulligan chance? And if they're going 2nd- you could always just N them back to 6.

Now that you clarified in a PM, having to mulligan is not a big problem, but it is a problem. Almost as bad as giving your opponent an extra card or two is giving them a look at whatever was just in your hand. For example, if you Mulligan against a Night March player and they see a Karen, they can adjust their playstyle to try and be ready for her. No, not a great example, but the simplest one to spring to mind. XP

If you're going first, you might be able to slam your opponent with N, mitigating the advantage, but there are decks that want a different first turn Supporter, or just won't be able to get the N. All in all, one or two mulligans don't matter much. Oh, and you'll need to consider the opponent and the deck as well; some decks and some players need the help more than others, or some can make better use of the help more than others.

Personally I'm a bit of a stickler. I want to have at least 8 or 9 basics that aren't Tapu Lele GX in any deck that I play, for a total of 10 to 12 basics, generally. Thankfully, I end up liking decks that are built like that.

The number 1 thing I hate about mulliganing is that you might end up showing your opponent your tech cards or portions of your strategy. If you flip over a Ralts at the beginning of a game, sure you're running Gardevoir GX. If you mulligan against a Metagross GX player and reveal that you have Weakness Policy in your obviously Gardevoir GX deck, that information is all they need to prioritize Field Blower.

Then, the 8 or 9 basics other than Lele is just to reduce the odds of starting her.

Back