NRL based OU Team

PokeFanJosh

Nidoking Master :)
Seeing some of these themed teams inspired to make up my own theme which I doubt has ever been done. A team based on NRL positions (Rugby League.)

Anyway I want to incorporate characteristics that are present in positions in rugby league to the positions which my pokemon play.

The Team and their positions.
Hooker (Lead) = Nattorei
Halfback (Mixed Attacker= Salamence
Prop (Wall) = Swampert
Winger (Revenge Killer) = Lucario
Lock (Physical Sweeper) = Doryuuzu
Fullback (Special Sweeper) = Jirachi

598.png

Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Toxic

Like every good Hooker, Nattorei sets up the team so that your team has some go forward. Hookers in any case have a wide variety of skills and know what move to do and when. Another thing is that a Hooker supports the team a lot even when now in play because of the way that they set up their team is that important. The team can not last with out a solid hooker to set them up. Nattorei's moves are pretty explanatory. Getting Spikes up straight away than continue to toxic and leech seed if I'm against some bulkier pokemon. Power whip is a great STAB move that deals loads of damage. With all the Rain Dance teams running around this move really does put a stop to that.

373.png

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EV's:4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Outrage
~ Dragon Dance

Like all good Half backs, Salamence has a wide variety of skills. Half backs are the people who call the shots in the game and often do the move that win the game. Whether it be taking out that one pokemon causing you damage or severely damaging them, you can be sure that your half back is the man. This is a basic Mixmence set that Capitalise on his Awesome attacking stats of both Special and Physical. No matter what the situation he generally has a move to take the pokemon out.

260.png

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Beam
~ Surf

Seeing as how I didn't run Stealth Rock on Nattorei I decided to hand it down to one of the best Tanks in the game. Swampert is my Prop Forward. Much like a Prop Forward Swampert can take hits from everywhere. Forwards, like the hooker set up their team but in a different way. They charge down the field to get territory and often take out or severely injure foes on the way down. Earthquake is great for taking out Steel Types. Ice Beam says LOL to common types such as Dragon and Ground and maybe the occasional Grass pokemon. Ground would be better handled with STABed Surf.

448.png

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Stone Edge
Like all good wingers do, Lucario finishes off what their team started beautifully. Wingers have a lot of speed and this Lucario is no exception. I was originally going to go with a Scarf set but decided against it because I may want to set up as well. With extremespeed with priority I doubt that I'd need to do much more than that. Along with that, my Lucario has Jolly Nature and 252 Speed EV's which make him a pretty fast pokemon. And if Lucario switches into one of hus many resisted opponents I will most probably choose to set up first then take them out. Swords Dance is there to obviously set me up if I see a chance. Close Combat will be my main STABed Move and Extreme Speed is great for Revenge Killing in case I don't want to use CC. I chose Stone Edge for his last move because I don't want to be troubled by fire. Seeing as how Sunny Day teams a rather popular I can take them out easily with Stone Edge

530.png

Excadrill @ Balloon
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Rapid Spin

Like a great Lock, Excadrill is a great offensive pokemon, but is also fast for its size. Basically I try to set up where I see is a good opportunity. Earthquake and Rock Slide provide rather good coverage and Rapid Spin is there to get rid of hazards that other wise would slowly destroy my time. His EV's are set out to capitalise on his nice Attack stat and to speed him up. HP ev's are there to add some bulk to his rather bad defensive stats.

Unfortunately for Excadrill is that he is weak to 4 different types which so happen to be very common types (ground,fighting, water,fire,) so that means I have to be very careful with him.

385.png

Jirachi (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serence Grace
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Calm Mind
~ Psychic
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Ground

Like all good fullbacks, this Jirachi is a surprise to his opponents. Jirachi has rather good speed which is another Fullback characteristic. Basically this Jirachi counters his counters as well as the rest of my team's. After I went on Marriland Team builder I saw 3 Super effective types each with 3 pokemon included in it (Ground, Fighting, Fire.) Basically every move says LOL to these types now. Psychic takes out fighting types, Grass Knot takes out Water and Ground types like Tyranitar and Hidden Power Ground says GF to Heatran's with the extra boosts from Calm Mind.

Threat List: (getting added soon don't worry!)

Looking at it now it would make a pretty sweet Sandstorm team as well. Didn't intend it to be but guess my mind just loves those types :p. I'd love to fit in a Hippowdon or Tyranitar somewhere but don't know where. I was thinking about getting rid of Salamence but idk. Suggestions?

If you want to make this a sandstorm team, nix salamece for tyranitar. I would put choice scarf on lucario and change excadrill's ability to sand throw. Also, heatran and genesect can be better special sweepers than jirachi.

Hey, English name of Nattorei is Ferrothorn.
For getting something to hit Psychic types, you can put Dark Pulse to Lucario. Is only an idea.
You can change Ferrothorn Spikes to Stealth Rock and change Stealth Rock on Swampert to Brick Break or something.
And use Boil Over instead of Surf. The burn chance is nice.

Just a couple nitpicks:

1. Excadrill/Doryuuzu should have a Balloon instead of Leftovers. The Ground immunity really helps against other Doryuuzu, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and anything else with ground type attacks.

2. If your going to make this a Sandstorm team, use Hippowdon instead of Ttar. You don't want another ground weakness.

3. I'd change Nattorei/Ferrothorn to Skarmory to sort of make up for your ground weakness. Skarmory can still set up Spikes and Toxic Stall.

4. (More of a recommendation, other will probably disagree) I'd recommend Brick Break over Fire Blast on Salamence. Brick Break takes advantage of Dragon Dance, and its kind of pointless to have DD when only one move acually trakes advantage of it IMO.

Hello, I can't do a long rate right now, but i'll nitpick a little.

First of all, running 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SAtk is a better spread for running DDMence like that. Second, I suggest using 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP Jolly @ Balloon for Doryuuzu. This gives you a check to other Doryuuzu which gives you quite a bit of trouble. Another thing is that I think you should use Rankurusu over Jirachi. You already have quite a few steels types so I think you should use Rankurusu instead. This will help against stall especially. Using a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Bold @ Life Orb will give you a solid defensive stat. Running a movest of Psycho Shock / Focus Blast / Recover / Calm Mind gives you coveredge and power in the same set.

One of the last few things is using Crunch over Stone Edge on Lucario. This gives you something to hit ghosts with hard. Dusclops and Deskukan otherwise can wall you quite well. I also suggest using Tyranitar over Swampert. This gives Doryuuzu a Sand Stream boost and also gives you a better answer to Rankurusu and other psychics. Crunch / Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Stealth Rock is a solid movest. This will help you in many ways against the special threats of the metagame.

Good Luck!

Wow thanks heaps guys. TBH probably one of my last posts here. I'll get to work quickly and try it out. Thanks guys

Personally, I like Reuniclus and I think that you can use Reuniclus instead of Jirachi. If you want to use it on a Sandstorm team you may use any of its abilities, but prefer Magic Guard.
A good set could be this:

Reuniclus @Life Orb/Bull Eye
-Psycho Shock
-Calm Mind
-Focus Blast/Shadow Ball
-Recover/Pain Split
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk/156 Sp.Def/ 80 Spd or something. I don't have clear yet the EVs.
Modest Nature.

You can use this as a Sweeper. It has a STAB move, Dark-type coverage (w/Focus Blast) or Ghost-type coverage (w/Shadow Ball), and a recover method. If you want to steal HP to your foe, use Pain Split. If you want complete recover, use Recover (xD).

Laterz.

Back