"Nothing but Techs" Deck?

Veritas

The invisible user
For a while, my area was nothing but rogue. In the last few months, it started getting metagame, REALLY metagame. I figured I might have to conform to metagame too, but i want to try out one more deck idea and I'd like opinions.

Essentially, it should be just a deck of techs. If anyone remembers the deck HoPe, it was a deck with a basic strategy (Honchkrow G/Shuppet PL) with techs and a decklist that changed depending on the meta.

I was hoping to make something where the strategy is Yanmega rush, then have techs to suit the meta. When you see your opponents deck, you quickly figure out how your deck is going to run. "Oh, i see my opponent is playing ReshiPhlosion. I'll just rush my anti-Reshiram tech" "I can't see my opponent strategy straight away, so I'll start working on quick KO's with Yanmega"

This was the basic idea
3-3 Yanmega
4 Judges
4 Copycat
4 Collectors
3 Communication

Then for techs:
Donphan counters: Tornadus, Basculin (no joke)
Reshiram: Basiculin (yes, again), Beartic?, Suicune Entei Legend (for the "Bursting Inferno")
Yanmega: Can't find a hard counter, but I was thinking Lanturn Prime, Magnezone Prime or Thundurus
Magnezone: Donphan Prime
"Stage 1 decks" (Yanmega/Donphan/Zoroark/Cinccino): Donphan KO's Zoroark and Cinccino, and then you have the counters for Donphan and Yanmega above.
Jumpluff: Reshiram

Help would be appreciated. Both on the concept and specific techs

There's actually a name for this kind of deck, its called a toolbox deck. I've been working on my own for a little while. Just a bit of advice, Suicune & Entei Legend OHKOs Reshiram, Donphan, Jumpluff, Emboar, Typhlosion, and a couple other thigns so its a great addition to the deck. I don't want to reveal my less known techs so I'm just going to say look through a database of legal cards that hit the Pokemon you want to counter for super effective damage (redshark makes this easy, but you can do it online too) and see what has an energy cost that fits into your deck.

Dark Void has it with Suicune & Entei LEGEND. It's got great typing, and only has a real weakness against Zekrom/Magnezone. And against those, just use Donphan. For Yanmega, I guess Magnezone could work.

You'd probably run 4 PlusPowers for the matchups against Magnezone and Yanmega, but apart from that, it would run fairly normally. Good luck with this, something similar (google' deck) came 2nd at worlds, so it can in fact do well.

It seems like everyone's running SEL just because google ran it. It seems like everyone's throwing random legends into their decks hoping to make some breakthrough and invent something new. *Sigh*...

If you want a counter deck, just run google's deck. It was built to counter everything. I also think that if you want to successfully counter a lot of decks you need to drop Yanmega. He's not really a "counter" to anything. Yes, he counters Donphan, but Donphan can still 2KO(Earthquake then Heavy Impact), and Yanmega has to 3KO it at best.

Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark is the essence of an already counter deck that deals with the metagame on a whole. Reshiram/Zekrom have been known to be teched in as well to take advantage of Donphan's damage from Earthquake.

google's deck is another one to consider as well.

dmaster out.

I like this idea and I've been struggling with a deck idea myself. In the mean time I've been acquiring Donphans since even if I decide not to use them they are great trade bait. I'd prefer to run rogue I believe but I'd rather do well with a meta type deck then fail miserably trying to do my own thing.

Donphan and dragons! 4-4 Donphan, 2 Reshiram, 2 Zekrom, 2 Basculin, and Reuniclus to get your Outrage damange where it needs to be. I'd also recommend trainerlock to keep Reuniclus safe from catcher.

Think about it. Here's what you're going to see at BR's.

Megazone.
Stage Ones.
Reshiphlosion.
google's deck.
ZPS.
Magneboar.

Now, let's list every single pokemon you can expect to see in any of those decks (in no particular order)

Yanmega, Magnezone, Zoroark, Donphan, Reshiram, Typhlosion, Zekrom, SEL, Blissey Prime, Vileplume, Reuniclus, Kingdra, Jirachi.

I'm sure I missed a few, but you get the idea.

The point is, between Donphan, Zekrom, Reshiram, and Basculin, the only two you aren't hitting for weakness are Reuniclus and Jirachi, and they can both be Heavy Impacted for the OHKO.

Anywho. Just an idea.

You don't need Reshiram in Donphan and Dragons in my opinion. There isn't very much grass in the format besides Vileplume and that can't be brought up by catcher, also it almost never will have energy on it so it's not going to be able to retreat or switched due to the trainer lock. Basculin is way too risky for its own good. Running Lanturn prime is the better option since it gives water and lightning coverage although that's just my opinion.

Isn't this pretty much google Deck really?? That was really just an anti-meta rogue deck with counters to everything plus trainerlock.

ashinto said:
Isn't this pretty much google Deck really?? That was really just an anti-meta rogue deck with counters to everything plus trainerlock.

Um, no it wasn't. One toolbox does not define toolbox. He ran lots of cards such as vileplume and reuniclus that aren't needed to make a toolbox deck. That's like saying every Reshiram deck is basically the deck of the guy who won worlds in Masters.

Base it from off of these Pokemon because they counter most of the Meta Decks.

Lanturn counters: Kingdra, Reshiram, Emboar, Donphan, Typhlosion, SEL x2, Yanmega.
Donphan counters: Zekrom, Pachirisu (Well it does, doesn't it.), Magnazone, Cinccino, Zoroark.

Have I missed any?

You missed Donphan, Reshiram and Tyhplosion because Lanturn does not counter those. Donphan OHKOs Lanturn with an Earthquake. Reshiram OHKOs Lanturn with a Blue Flare. Typhlosion doesn't OHKO, but instead it discards your DCE so you can't attack then KOs you on the next turn. And Lanturn doesn't hit SEL for 4x effective damage, it can be water or electric, not both, so you'd actually need an extra energy/pluspower (not that hard, but I felt I should point it out.) So you'd be better off running a water like Samurott or SEL, Zekrom, and Donphan (basically what google ran, but it can function without trainer-lock.) You also missed Jumpluff. While Jumpluff isn't big, it is out there. Donphan 3HKOs it while Jumpluff 2HKOs Donphan, Lanturn 2HKOs Jumpluff while Jumpluff OHKOs Lanturn.

Lanturn does counter Donphan etc. just not particulaly well. And I know it doesn't do 4x to SEL, I was just pointing out that it doesn't matter what type you are.

Have you heard of Mewbox?
Just play the highest Evolutions of the techs you want to play in your deck, send them to the Lost Zone, and use their attacks with Mew Prime. :)

Back