NorCal Regionals – Decmaster's 5th place report

Decmaster

Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
So, I stayed with a few friends of mine and Flying_Swampert overnight Friday and then we carpooled to Regionals the next morning.

So, we decided to wake up at 6:30 am to get going by 7, but we got off a little late. We got to Regionals by about the time registration closed. I thought we weren't going to make it. I didn't have my decklist filled out. My deck wasn't even in order. However, we got in about five minutes after registration closed with a first round loss. That was okay by me. About maybe 5 minutes later, the judge announced that due to the dozen or so lates, there were to be no first round losses. YES! Now, onto the good stuff.

By the way, I'm playing VilePluff.

List:
Pokemon: 31
4-4-4 Jumpluff (HS-HS-HS)
2-2-2 Vileplume (UD-LA96-UD)
2-2 Sunflora (HS-HS)
4 Spiritomb (AR)
3 Uxie (LA)
1 Crobat G (PT)
1 Regice

T/S/S: 15
3 Bebe's Search
3 Broken Time-Space
2 Copycat
1 Palmer's Contribution
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Seeker

Energy: 14
8 Grass
4 Rescue
2 Warp

Round 1 vs. Crobat Prime
We both got a decent start, and we traded prizes for a while. Eventually, I took the upper hand. GG

1-0

Round 2 vs. LuxChomp
We both started decently. He got a Garchomp C Lv.X up early, but didn't have much support due to trainer lock. I would take him out every other turn, and he just couldn't keep up. GG

2-0

Round 3 vs. MagneRock
I was pretty happy at this point. I was even considering the possibility of Top Cutting. Still, I was playing against Jason Chin, the #2 ranked Senior in the state. Maybe in the country. We both had TERRIBLE starts. He started with a Regirock. Anyways, we both set up pretty evenly, but his damage outdid mine, and he took the advantage. He almost decked out, but he beat me before that could happen. GG

2-1

Round 3 vs. SP (Luxray/Dialga/?)
Well, I was disappointed with my loss, but since Jason was so high ranked, I figured that I still had a chance. My opponent started out decently, but I had a terrible start (which had become common since I teched in Regice and Crobat G), but the trainer lock hurt him. He eventually leveled up his Dialga G into the Lv.X, but with no way to retreat it, Jumpluff 2HKO'ed it. He eventually set up a Luxray GL Lv.X and started taking prizes, but a Leaf Guard + Mass Attack could take it out quickly, and he only had so many Aaron's Collection. GG

3-1

Round 4 vs. Dusknoir
My last win motivated me, and kept me going. I had another terrible start, but his wasn't great, either. We both got set up relatively quickly, and a few Night Spin's got on my nerves, especially since I was playing Jumpluff. When I did knock out his Dusknoir, he couldn't get another one out until I was on my last prize, and it didn't have the necessary energy to knock me out. GG

4-1

Round 5 vs. DonkPluff
One more win and I secured my Top Cut place! I was psyched! I got up-paired. I was playing a 5-0 Senior. Well, the better for my rating… I thought. I start with a lone Hoppip, to his, too. And I go first. I draw into a Hoppip. Thank Arceus! All I can do is attach a grass, and Bounce. He Collectors for three Crobat G, and knocks out my benched Hoppip. Then, he Expert Belts his Hoppip, attaches a Grass, and GG

4-2

Aside from that terrible donk, I was pretty happy. I had a good run at my first tournament bigger than City Championships. Nonetheless, I was still hoping for the chance that I might Top Cut. In the meantime, I played another match with the DonkPluff kid, and I didn't get donked, but I lost pretty badly. After the match, Flying_Swampert told me to go inside. They called my name. I made Top Cut!
They took my deck to check it, and checked my place. 7th. In top 8, that was pretty close. After a while, the first match began.

Top Cut Round 1 said:
Game 1 vs. Gyarados (blargh257)
He had a GOD start (and yes, I said God [I have a history of saying "god" when I mean "good"]) and killed off everything I could possibly set up. GG.

Game 2 vs. Gyarados (blargh257)
I had a better start this time, and set up well. I used the combo of Leaf Guard + Mass attack to keep myself alive against the onslaught of Gyarados, and when I knocked out his only Gyarados early on without a Rescue Energy, I thought I was done. I forgot about Combee. He got his Gyarados set up again, and Twins for two Rescue Energies. We traded prizes for a while, but he eventually took his last prize. GG

Fin

Well, I ended up placing in 5th out of 43 people, so that was pretty amazing. And I won half a booster box. So yay.

Props:
5th place
My deck worked well
Some amazing matches

Cons:
DonkPluff
No Meaty
Didn't win a raffle

Overall, it was a great first tournament bigger than Cities for me.

yo.

good deck, great games. it was a great event. i lost to rayvn in T4. sigh...

we have no idea. i stayed the latest (save ray vin) and didn't stay for the finals.

thefleeee- thanks!

Let's see, for anyone who's interested, Top Cut was:

1 MagneRock
1 LuxChomp
1 VilePluff
1 DonkPluff
1 Gyarados

That's all I can remember. Diverse, huh?

hey rayvn, who won?
I know you know.
(written from WII LOL)
edit shouldve checked event thread first.
i feel bad for jason. can he go to nats?

Back