Discussion No BDIF (Standard)

MadVillan

Aspiring Trainer
There is no best deck in format in Standard for the time being. Everything has a hard counter that can not be properly tech'd for. Lock decks seem a like a good candidate to take the top of the heap, so Seismitoad, Giratina, or even Vileplume should soon get the needed support or combination that catapults it to bdif status.

Why does there need to be a Best Deck In Format? I think it is a sign of a healthy meta when one deck has not gone rampant and prevented other decks from taking the spotlight.

Totally agree with you, I like the fact there isn't a bdif. I hope the format adds decks while retaining this. I posted this to inform those searching for the most competitive deck know that there isn't one out there. They should also not concern themselves with teching, to heavily, at this point in the meta , as every deck has a virtual auto loss to another archetype.
I also wish to speculate on what could take the top based on what we currently have. I would also add Aegislash to my above list. It in some capacity provides a decent lock despite being slow minus Bronzong.

Remember Gardy/Gallade? That created what is called a "Static meta" where it was the clear BDIF and everything else was inferior by a massive margin. As much as I love Gardy/Gallade, I'm glad that there isn't a BDIF right now.

I recently put together Metal Ray, just so I could have a deck that I know can compete at a high level, and I was pretty happy that I had several decks to "choose from," as it were. So, I could've built Groudon, or Vespiquen, or Giratina and so on.

I don't even know which deck I'd pick as BDIF. All of them have strengths and weaknesses, as well as potential stumbling blocks if you don't draw into what you need.

Yeah, I find Standard to be pretty exciting and relatively balanced, and (un)fortunately it doesn't look like Break Through is really going to change much. Expanded though...

I am so glad that there is no BDIF right now like bbninjas said. Before the rotation every cities/set of LCs/states there was always 1-2 decks that would go top place instantly and take the tournaments by storm and there was no way to counter them consistently without running an off shot rogue deck that would do badly against anything else, EVER. The fact that the metagame has recovered from the horrors of eggxicutor, laser bank, big basics, toad, toad with Archie's Swampert, toad bats, hammer toad, another toad variant I forgot about, and other really evil decks that eat the metagame alive is a really good sign. It means that Pokemon Lab is doing something that means that they are *gasp* making good choices when it comes to improving the meta by listening to players for once during the EX era.

Back