Nintendo Wii... what the?

bass_forte

ANet FTW.
Wii wiill rock you

I liked 'Revolution' a LOT better...

Prof. Chris on the 'gym did make a good point about the name, though:

Professor_Chris said:
Because PlayStation and Xbox were such great names? o_O

Personally, I think Nintendo is brilliant. EVERYONE is talking about Wii. You can't buy that sort of publicity. :3
Professor_Chris said:
Well, HONESTLY, a PlayStation sounds like some sort of toddler toy. ;p However, we've all become so used to it that that connection isn't really drawn anymore.

X-box? It's a box with an X on it. Incredibly uninspired and could have been any number of things had it not become a game console.

Gamecube? It's a cube that plays games.

Game Boy? It doesn't even make sense but it's stuckall these years.

Wii? I like the name. I wouldn't say it's worse than any of the above other than it doesn't literally describe the system. :D

Looking around game sites and forums there are plenty to say about Wii. A lot of it negative, some of it positive. But people are talking about it. A lot. Which kinda puts the spotlight on Nintendo now for E3. :3

EDIT: Article I found in the thread that Abhorsen linked to. [link]

And for the record...
Shukuen Shinobi said:
To back up Chris, his connections to the various forms of "Wii". I personally like the fact that ii is Good in Japanese, Not to mention, the name "Wii" is a lot easier to say in Japanese then "Revolution", so it works out for everyone. "ウェイ” is a lot easier to say and write then "レーバールーション”, or however you would katakana-ize "Revolution" my dictionary site is down. Xb

RE: Revolution's real name announced

Hmm... I'm not sure what to think of this. At least it is more original than Sony's console names (PlayStation, PlayStation2, PlayStation3, PlayStation Portable, etc). Still, I don't think it is all that great. However, I think there is a good chance that I will buy the console, especially if they allow reverse-compatibility and the ability to download old games, like they mentioned. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice. I like the fact that it is going to be relatively cheap ($200), compared to the $400 that the other consoles are expected to sell for (PS3, anyway, since XBox 360 is already out on the market).

Regardless of what people say about it, I like the control interface; it is very flexible and strays from the excessive buttons that modern game consoles have. It would make sword fights, tennis, baseball, golf, and many other different things more interesting. There also seems to be a lot of 3rd party support, based I what I have heard from various sources.

Still, the name is kind of... blah. I hope they change it to something more... catchy. Maybe something that emphasizes its unique features that sets it apart from the XBox 360 and PlayStation 3.

At first I really did have a cry about it. The name 'Wii' is just embarassing and I really do hate it but then I read a few things of people's opinions on it and it has made me change my opinions, even though I still feel strongly against the Revolution's new name.

This is one thread that really opened my eyes about it and made me less skeptical about the Wii: http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/116243737/p1/?14

It's just a name - who cares. As long as it performs well, that's all that really matters. Wii isn't even that bad. You probably use the word every day anyways.

Yeh I know it's just a name. I'm going to be buying it regardless of what it's called but it's mainly the image that the name Wii would give Nintendo.

My views will probably change when they reveal more about it at E3 in a couple of weeks and i'll probably get used to it eventually. The games on it is what i'm looking forward to most, especially the new SSB and MetroidPrime3. The Wii has already expressed interest from companies Konami and Ubisoft, which may introduce some pretty cool games which use the Wii's controller to its full potential. The more I think about it the less it seems to bother me but it's still a weird name to give a console.

I've already seen mass outbursts against the name but I think everyone will get used to it eventually. Remember everyone's reaction to things like Virgin airlines, Yahoo, Google, iPod, etc. I think that everyone will get over it by the time E3 comes when the Wii's games, graphics and full potentials are shown with the demos.

Don't cross your fingers for graphics... the 360 and PS3 will probably beat the Wii there. :/

Again: I'm not saying that the particular name choice strikes me as brilliant. But the type of name is really what matters. It's distinctive, it's simple, it's iconic. It's half-word, half-picture. And damn if it's not going to get people talking.

Is it a homophone for a British slang word that means "urine"? Yes. But so is the first-person plural pronoun. If I said, "What are we doing tonight," would you repeat back to me, "What are wee doing tonight? Huh? Huh? Get it?" I would wonder what the hell your problem is, quite frankly.

The French word for "yes" also rhymes with "wee," and indeed this was the subject of much hilarity in French class. When I was in sixth grade. By seventh grade, when we turned thirteen, we were over it. That the Internet in toto is less mature than a group of thirteen-year-olds is not surprising, but neither is it damning to Nintendo's fortunes.

Of course, I expect the Internet to brim over with toilet humor; that is what the Internet is for. But the Internet is not real life. They've already proven this in a variety of ways related to Nintendo product announcements. Remember the almost universal outpouring of disdain following the announcement of the Nintendo DS? Nintendogs?

And look where that got the Internet. Nintendo DS is nothing short of a nationwide cultural phenomenon in Japan. Nintendo pushed hard away from the traditional notion of a video game system and did quite well for their efforts.

In short, the fuss over Wii is an Internet Problem, not a Real Life Problem. In real life, the name's soundalike will pass almost entirely without notice. The positives of Wii will vastly outweigh the negatives.

I do like something about Wii. I like that it is further evidence -- very strong evidence -- that Nintendo has stopped paying lip service to the mainstream and started aggressively pursuing them. You can't run after the mainstream with a ball and chain that reads VIDEO GAMES around your ankle. There needs to be a clean break.

Nintendo is so intent on breaking free from the shackles of traditional notions of "video games" that it is even abandoning its own name.

It's not the "Nintendo Wii." It's the Wii.
If people are making fun of this being a homophone for 'wee'...

RE:  Revolution's real name announced

Abhorsen said:
Yeh I know it's just a name. I'm going to be buying it regardless of what it's called but it's mainly the image that the name Wii would give Nintendo.

My views will probably change when they reveal more about it at E3 in a couple of weeks and i'll probably get used to it eventually. The games on it is what i'm looking forward to most, especially the new SSB and MetroidPrime3. The Wii has already expressed interest from companies Konami and Ubisoft, which may introduce some pretty cool games which use the Wii's controller to its full potential. The more I think about it the less it seems to bother me but it's still a weird name to give a console.

I've already seen mass outbursts against the name but I think everyone will get used to it eventually. Remember everyone's reaction to things like Virgin airlines, Yahoo, Google, iPod, etc. I think that everyone will get over it by the time E3 comes when the Wii's games, graphics and full potentials are shown with the demos.

It comes down to us in the end (Wii) to make this a success.
If Wii are sensible and can get over that fact this is Nintendo's 'reality' and not their 'concept' then all the pieces of this elaborate puzzle come together just in time for E3 2006 where everything will be answered.

The Developers are all behind it: Sega/Hudson/Ubisoft/Konami and the newly formed Crossbeam Studios, are all taking the Wii concept to heart and showing support. If their is support from more developers than the Gamecube had in its dry life (not to say that it was bad), then the Wii will be a success more than the Gamecube and hopefully, overcome the marketing nouse of Microsoft and/or Sony and at least one of, if not, both of them in the Next/New Gen war.

As for the statistics, it was pointed out at last years E3 that the Revolution (now Wii) would not be graphically and technically oriantated.
The real power of the Wii is in the way it will impact on society, and with XBOX 360 failing miserably in that compartment, and Sony have already declared that they would not be in the war until November, let alone impact it at the same time (or after) the Wii is out. We are reaching a point in technological here: if Wii works...

In the end, I see the Wii doing much better than its competitors. Xbox360 is failing even at this point in time, imagine what happens when Wii and PS3 are released. Xbox was never really in competition even in the current generation, even though GC did do poorly it was the lack of promoting the GC that lead to its downfall, that's why Xbox was ahead.

When first released I see that the Wii will do very well, mainly with the early release of SSBR, possible early Metroid or Zelda release, backwards compatible, downloadable games of the past 3 Nintendo consoles. That's a massive amount of games available on release. I see that the PS3 will lose alot due to its price. It's expected to be over $500 (AU) at least, while the Wii is expected to be approx $200 (AU). I dont know the currency conversion. I would rather play some top games (or the classics which I never got to play) on the Wii and save myself at least $300 to play a limited amount of PS3 games, even though it is backward compatible too.

That's my personal opinion on it. I think that Xbox360 will fail miserably when PS3 and Wii are released, and PS3 and Wii will be in a little competition. It all depends on whether you want to bust your money or not. I'm personally going with the Wii, not just because of the games which i'm looking forward to, but because it's the most original thing in the current world. It brings FPS, Sword fighting, etc as close to reality as possible rather than punching a few buttons on the updated-clone-consoles.

Wii What kind of name is that? I think they should have kept revolution.:)

xxashxx said:

Go to www.nintendo.com and watch the video clip. It should explain everything to you.

I completely agree with Abhorsen. Wii will succeed. But the amount of support Sony has mounted over the last few years is staggering and all the fans won't be turned away that easily. But then again the Wii's innovation and the impact it will cause is enough to change anybody's view on the Sony and Microsft's unoriginal POWER machines.

The techno mojos will be split into two: those that marvel at the sight of the PS3's state-of-the-art Blu-Ray graphics engine and the power of it and the guys and gals that what a true step forward in gaming and, ultimately, technology rather than just a power-up of it will side with Nintendo.

Xbox 360 will die a horribly death. The PS3 suppasses it in every area except the controller and the publicity and enginuity of the Wii will completely set Nintendo apart from the rest (and supass them).
Microsft will become the Gamecube of the Next Gen war and Nintendo now, with the uplifting spirits of Wii, have the ability to take down Sony.

xxashxx said:

Hello? Revolution was never the name, and the Japanese market would've struggled to pronounce it. Reading what people wrote might be a good start. ¬¬

I think the main problem will be that everything about this console will attract non-gamers. Everything except its name... :/ People will be worried about looking 'uncool' or something stupid like that. :/ I mean, if they changed the pronunciation to "why", it'd be fine..

bass_forte said:
I mean, if they changed the pronunciation to "why", it'd be fine..
That's another thing that annoys me a little. The double 'I' (as in 'ii') is traditionally pronounced as 'eye', not as 'eee'... So it "should" be pronounced as 'Why', and not 'We'.

A new nintendo, it will cost from 100 to 200 dollars.
a new nintendo DS is also comming, the nintendo DS lite!

RE:  Nintendo Wii... what the?

mystery said:
a new nintendo DS is also comming, the nintendo DS lite!

That news as released ages ago...

Anyway here is what I reckon the starting prices are for Wii and PS3:

Wii: £150
PS3: £275-300

Veyatii said:
I completely agree with Abhorsen. Wii will succeed. But the amount of support Sony has mounted over the last few years is staggering and all the fans won't be turned away that easily. But then again the Wii's innovation and the impact it will cause is enough to change anybody's view on the Sony and Microsft's unoriginal POWER machines.
It is entirely possible. If the spotlight can shift from Nintendo to Sony during the days of the SNES/N64, then logically it is possible for it to work in reverse. The focus seemed to change when Squaresoft (now Square-Enix) shifted away from Nintendo due to the fact that the N64 still used cartridges, as opposed to discs. From what I have heard, it would appear as though Square-Enix will be working with Nintendo even more when they release the Wii/Revolution. If this is true, there exists the possibility that there will be a shift from Sony to Nintendo. I would expect the consoles of both companies to be roughly equally as sucessful, unless something changes abruptly. But I could be very surprised...

Veyatii said:
Xbox 360 will die a horribly death. The PS3 suppasses it in every area except the controller and the publicity and enginuity of the Wii will completely set Nintendo apart from the rest (and supass them).
Microsft will become the Gamecube of the Next Gen war and Nintendo now, with the uplifting spirits of Wii, have the ability to take down Sony.

We haven't even seen the final version of the Wii/Revolution, so we can only speculate at this point. I like unique controller setup, as well as the ability to purchase older games to download and play. If some of these features are cut during the final release of the console, things could change very quickly. There is also the possibility that 3rd party alliances could change.

Up until (and after) the releases of Nintendo's and Sony's consoles, I will be keeping a close watch at what developments occur. Once the Electronic Entertainment Exposition comes and goes, we will probably get a better picture of what to expect. It is only a short time away, so we should get some more information pretty quickly...

E3 is a week Tuesday. And it will be a moment in history since not only some of the most groundbreaking hardware ever will be revealed, but it will give us the clear indication of where the Next/New-Gen war leads.

Square Enix needed room for their development on their games (***FFVII***) and back then Nintendo belived that cartridges still had life. They changed their minds later when the PS1 beat the N64 and Nintendo started to change their course in a more radical manner.

I also do not see anything coing so far that will changed abruptly, even a E3. But then again, who predicted that the Wii's controller would be like it is now? ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

This name is just a stunt that nintendo *HOPES* will somehow magically improves sales. Yes, it's just a name. But you've got to understand that Nintendo knewthat a certain percent of people would have trouble adjusting to the name at the very least. The fact that Nintendo refused to settle on a name that wouldn't cause such a riot shows that this is nothing more than a gamble to get more buyers.
And personally, had Sony called the PSP a "Wii" and sold it for 100 bucks, my only incentive to buy it would be the features/games. Maybe I don't speak to the general public out there, but weird names only catch my attention, not my money. :p

I've heard that Japan is finding this name odd too, the least I could've hoped for is that this would've sounded like the "BEST NAME EVER" in Japanese. Ahwell.

Abhorsen said:
The Wii has already expressed interest from companies Konami and Ubisoft, which may introduce some pretty cool games which use the Wii's controller to its full potential.

I wouldn't count on it. The DS had breakthrough technology, and all the 3rd-party companies did was port GBA games to it and throw in a touch-screen minigame. Now they will probably take out all motion control except on the menus and, again, min games.

I only hope companies don't work to make the default controller primary in most games, which seems likely (Who wants to be making the game where you need to buy the add-on to get anyone else buying your games?)
This whole step in "revolutionizing" the gaming industry seems really mini-game-friendly, like you said Tomokazu. I really hope this isn't the end of standard adventure/racing games on the Rev. Sure, the whole FPS thing and mini-games works wonderfully with the controller. There you go, two compatable genres. I reallllly hope Nintendo can change my opinion at E3, I've been die-hard rooting for them since '97. Otherwise I think I'll just continue to know the Wii as "Mario Party: The System" since it's a lot easier to get out casually than Wii is....

Back