Discussion NinjaToads

Duane Fouche

Aspiring Trainer
I've recently come across Greninja (XY 41) and really like it's ability. I've been trying to search for a deck that it could work in and so far it seems it may work well with Seismitoad EX.
Seismitoad EX usually uses lasers and Virbanks to complement it's damage output, but I think that using Greninja's instead (or in addition to if you really want to swing for big numbers) may have some merits.

The first is that due to the higher damage output you could use Seismitoad entirely as your main attacker and do not need to worry about charging up something in the bench to sweep with - so the only pokemon you'd really use in the deck would be the Greninja's and Toad, possibly Keldeo or Suicune for versatility.
The second is it would work better against the mirror - since neither player can augment their damage with items the player that can hit harder wins. I've seen some decks resort to using abilities to heal to beat the mirror - but why not just do more damage with shuriken?
Third, while Virizion can block damage from the lasers it can't stop a shuriken... or 4.
Fourth, every pokemon in the deck will be water, so can be searched for very easily with Dive balls if need be.
And finally, you gain the ability to hit their back row. Anywhere from 30 to up to 120 damage per turn.
This could let you get sneaky KO's on weakened pokemon or low hp Ex's for a quick prize or two.

Granted, they are stage 2's so that could be a bit of a problem. If any deck has enough time to set up stage 2 pokemon though, it's definitely this one.

What I was thinking was using a lot of superior energy retrievals to get the energies, combined with possibly 1-2 battle compressor's and a lot of discard/draw supporters such as Juniper or Sycamore. Combine this with a very heavily disruptive selection of items via crushing+enhanced hammers, lasers, some team flare gear, and possibly a Xerosic or Team Flare grunt.

Recycle everything with a combination of Vs Seeker/s and Lysandre's trump card and you can do it all over again.

You should be able to wear down even the most resilient of decks eventually.

Does anyone aside from me think this would be viable? I mean, I could just be utterly wrong here.

Well, the idea has potential. I've seen people play Seismitoad EX with Crobat, so running a Stage 2 alongside the Toad isn't too bad an idea. Do you have a specific list in mind? It's easier to critique the deck and offer some feedback if you at least lay out a possible decklist.

EDIT: Although I guess something like that is more suited to the "Deck Garage" section? So yes, in regards to this topic, I think the idea has potential. If you wanted to post a list over there, I'd gladly help you work through it.

Back