Night March Variants

RE: Night March

Talkingcat said:
On the Mew EX version skeleton list, I would add Hard Charm to the "good additions". A Mew Ex with a hard charm is a great response to Seismatoad- you copy quaking punch, you do 30 a turn to it, but it does 10 a turn to you. It needs a 12HKO to take your Mew out. With the time you can get, you may be able to set up your NM attack.

How often do you actually get a hard charmed Mew EX out? If you are running Hard Charm it would be 2 and they would become useless later in the game (if you don't attach them early). Even if you can get a Hard Charm on a Mew they probably got a Muscle on a Seis before you started Quaking Punch. That would negate the effect of Hard Charm.

I know Andrew Wamboldt played it in his Night March deck at St. Louis Regionals. I don't know if it was particularly for Seismitoad (seems odd to have Item techs for Item lock), but he did play Manectric to use against Seismitoad.

Camoclone said:
How often do you actually get a hard charmed Mew EX out? If you are running Hard Charm it would be 2 and they would become useless later in the game (if you don't attach them early). Even if you can get a Hard Charm on a Mew they probably got a Muscle on a Seis before you started Quaking Punch. That would negate the effect of Hard Charm.

I am not sure, I guess it would depend on how many you run. As Mora pointed out above, Andrew Wamboldt ran it in one of his decks. He did it because someone played it a hard charmed Mew Ex against him. A brief extract from his article about Hard Charm in his deck for St Louis Regionals:

2 Hard Charm - These are probably the strangest inclusion in the deck, but they were one of the most important inclusions that we made. They made a difference in a lot of different scenarios that it paid off big time that we went with these over the Pokemon Catcher. Here were some of the ways in which Hard Charm was useful....

And my favorite use for it was against Seismitoad EX. Seismitoad decks are a bit inconsistent by nature, so they don’t always get things like Muscle Band on turn one. If you can get Hard Charm down on turn 1 against a Seismitoad deck, and they fail to get a Muscle Band into play, then you can KO their Seismitoad EX’s with Quaking Punch for a 6HKO, while they are forced to 12HKO your Mew EX, meaning Mew EX will trade with Seismitoad EX at least 4 prizes to 2 in such situations.

http://thecharizardlounge.com/2015/02/16/regional-report-night-marching-through-st-louis/

The hard charm is not there for Mew, but for Pumpkaboo, specially against landy/bats

This deck is quite popular in my area, any advice against the mirror? And has anyone actually tried the swampert+Archie's ace in the hole? He would be a great tech against pyroar which is something I still occasionally see because everyone in my area either plays night march, yevetel or plasma EX decks so occasionally pyroar crops up when people are bored of getting roflstomped by yevetel or plasma EX.

Draaka said:
This deck is quite popular in my area, any advice against the mirror? And has anyone actually tried the swampert+Archie's ace in the hole? He would be a great tech against pyroar which is something I still occasionally see because everyone in my area either plays night march, yevetel or plasma EX decks so occasionally pyroar crops up when people are bored of getting roflstomped by yevetel or plasma EX.

I would say, for the mirror, to try and not use Mew EX as the attacker because you don't need many Night marchers in the discard anyway for this matchup. Always pick to go second so you can start getting prize/s first.

I haven't tested the Swampert version yet but I know Empoleon DEX works really well in this deck.

Yeah, I'd also be curious to know how the deck works with Swampert.

Any thoughts on if the deck will still be any good after the rotation with Mew, Flareon and Empoleon gone? I feel the lack of Computer Search will really hurt the ability to consistently pull of Archie's (on Swampert).

Swampert is not as good as it doesn't provide as many options as Empoleon, Empoleon provides a great new attack both by himself against water weak pokes, as well as an ability that provides draw power under toad's dreaded item lock

Pretty much what Thirteen said. Players have tested it with Swamp but they have always found it more useful to just draw more cards.

So thoughts on Shaymin EX ROS as an addition to the deck as a 1-2 of? This deck burns through the hand quite quickly so having a utility in the deck we can fetch and replenish our hand seems quite useful. The obvious downside is that we essentially leave a 2 prize poke on the bench when this deck's greatest strength is the prize trade off.

So thoughts on Shaymin EX ROS as an addition to the deck as a 1-2 of? This deck burns through the hand quite quickly so having a utility in the deck we can fetch and replenish our hand seems quite useful. The obvious downside is that we essentially leave a 2 prize poke on the bench when this deck's greatest strength is the prize trade off.
tbh, as Night March already runs Mew-EX in most circumstances, I would prefer they kill my benched Shaymin over my powered Mew. I think the positives out weigh the negatives here.

Shaymin EX seems interesting. More draw, and you could get some NMers in the discard pile even if you are under item lock (by being able to fill up your hand and find Junpier).

Woah!

Night March just jumped to Tier 1? And everything else just dropped a tier...?

Anyway, I think that with the ban on Lysandre's Trump Card, some certain cards could become very useful, and already useful ones more so:

- Dimension Valley
- Energy Retrieval
- Revive
- Sacred Ash
- Shauna

Dimension Valley, of course, lowers the attack cost of Psychic-type Pokémon. We'll need it, because we may need to attach basic Energy to our Night March Pokémon, now that we can no longer get DCE out of the discard pile. Energy Retrieval may also help with the Energy dilemma. Revive and Sacred Ash can help control the number of Pokémon in play, the deck, and the discard pile. Shauna might replace Professor Sycamore due to discarding problems (? Feel free to debate this...)

Also, Acro Bike might become less desirable, as you might find two very important cards and be forced to give up one of them.

I actually cut Acro Bile from my Flareon list even before the ban, and seeing that I came in 17th at MA Regionals I do not feel like this was a bad decision. Macro Bile always troubled me because so often you would end up having to choose between to important things, such as the DCE you need for next turn or that and of Band for that KO. Sometimes I've even been faced with two DCE on top of my deck and having to discard one. Night March is similar in this regard. Especially with no way to recycle everything, I like to have some degree of control over what I'm discarding.

As for recovering resources, I've been testing with two things that form a safety net for getting back things when you need them. The first is swapping Computer Search for Dowsing Machine. This lets me re-use stuff like Battle Comprees if I get it early, eliminating the need to burn my deck and risk decking out-important since I'm also running Shaymin now. Dowsing Machine is also use late game for getting back Dimenaion Valley. Even with four in the list keeping your Stadium in play is so critical for this deck, and I havnt found Spac for Ninetales.

The other card using is Milotic PRC. It's Ability Sparkling Ripples lets you put a card from your discard pile into your hand when it hits the field. This is great, since you can return a DCE, or anything else to your hand. While it's only a one-time use, I've found this to be extremely helpi for mor than just DCE.

The other card using is Milotic PRC. It's Ability Sparkling Ripples lets you put a card from your discard pile into your hand when it hits the field. This is great, since you can return a DCE, or anything else to your hand. While it's only a one-time use, I've found this to be extremely helpi for mor than just DCE.

Would Primal Clash Bunnelby be any good for this? Even though the cards would go to the deck instead of the hand, you'd get two instead of one plus it's an attack, so it can be used several times as long as Bunnelby stays alive.

Would Primal Clash Bunnelby be any good for this? Even though the cards would go to the deck instead of the hand, you'd get two instead of one plus it's an attack, so it can be used several times as long as Bunnelby stays alive.

I don't feel like it is necessary in this deck. If you run out of DCE's, then you can always use the Basic Energy + Dimension Valley + Mew EX + Joltik on bench.

I don't feel like it is necessary in this deck. If you run out of DCE's, then you can always use the Basic Energy + Dimension Valley + Mew EX + Joltik on bench.

I meant more for decks that don't use Mew EX, but I agree that Mew EX doesn't seem to need DCEs anywhere near as much.

Also since Plasma Leafeon likely won't be usable after August with the new rotation, would FFI Leafeon be in any way a good substitute for it? Losing the resistance to Water is a shame and there's a lot less KO power but Soothing Scent could stop the Toad item lock for a turn or two potentially.

Last edited:
I meant more for decks that don't use Mew EX, but I agree that Mew EX doesn't seem to need DCEs anywhere near as much.

Also since Plasma Leafeon likely won't be usable after August with the new rotation, would FFI Leafeon be in any way a good substitute for it? Losing the resistance to Water is a shame and there's a lot less KO power but Soothing Scent could stop the Toad item lock for a turn or two potentially.

If you are able to get a Muscle Band onto it, then yes it is a pretty good substitute. I often find myself using Plasma Glaceon to stall with my deck. However FFI Leafeon provides both a stall and massive damage potential.

Piloted this yesterday and decided to run 2-2 Milotic PRC, which is ubberly amazing. Need a DCE? Got ya covered. Lysandre? Yup. That last Revive? No problem. Also, can be used as cannon fodder in tandem with Escape Rope in the Mirror

Why don't we use the new Vespiqueen from bandit ring. it looks like flareon but it has slightly more HP (if i saw it right) and does the same dmg output. with this you can also use ariados for poison dmg sice vespiqueen is a grass type pokemon

Back