Night March Variants

RE: Night March

I played against a version of this in a local tournament, in the finals, and the guy was running 4-3 Leafeon and a Flareon, considering that I was playing Toad/Puff, the first game was almost lost because I thought he'd never have more than 2 Leafeons.

REGARDING PRC additions: I think this deck will play 2 Teammates at least AND repeat ball is not as good as some people say, considering that it can't be used to discard marchers. Acro Bike on the other side...

Yeah, I'd agree with the repeat ball, I've been testing out repeat ball, and in early game its just better to have ultra ball so you can use it to discard night marchers.

I think night March could be really good next format. Flareon + normal strat beats vg and metal. Leafeon beats primals and helps a lot in general. Joltik for Yveltal. Standard strategy for everything else.

grantm1999 said:
I think night March could be really good next format. Flareon + normal strat beats vg and metal. Leafeon beats primals and helps a lot in general. Joltik for Yveltal. Standard strategy for everything else.

Problem? Even if our next format isn't XY-on, there will defenitely be at least 3 sets rotated. So, BCR, PLS, and PLF are all gone. No Flareon, sadly.

GadgetJax said:
grantm1999 said:

Problem? Even if our next format isn't XY-on, there will defenitely be at least 3 sets rotated. So, BCR, PLS, and PLF are all gone. No Flareon, sadly.

I believe Grant is talking about Boundaries Crossed through Primal Clash :p.

I think Mr. Mime could warrant including on the Good Additions list due to how much the deck dislikes bench damage (and if I Mew EX list is ever added to the OP, I think it should be part of the skeleton). Landorus EX and Plasma Kyurem both OHKO Joltik and 2HKO benched Pumpkaboo and so Mr. Mime takes a lot of stress against these two matchups by effectively halving their damage output.

i think with the release oft PRC the Gougeist Variante became a lot stronger. with memory shrine you don't need Celeby EX and for Dimension Valley: you need to attach a basic energy anyways so why waste spae for that. flaereon may be a good addituon but you don't need that anymore either since you can counter Pyroar more easily now. leafeon is still needed for seismotoad and primal kyogre but you don't need so mach joltiks on the field anymore, so the danger of getting hit on the bench is less. when your opponent brings out garbodor/yvelyal the joltik will finish the job just right. for new ex: it could still be a great addition, but I don't it is need anymore

Pyroar is dead anyways, so no need to wreck up the deck's consistency to put Gourgeist

Just curious, has anyone attempted a Night March deck with Vilify Weavile yet? I could be wrong but there seems to be some really good synergy there.

ShadowMoses05 said:
Just curious, has anyone attempted a Night March deck with Vilify Weavile yet? I could be wrong but there seems to be some really good synergy there.

That sounds strong on paper, but the benefit that Night March gets over other decks is that it can start hitting triple digits by the first 2 turns. Using Weavile as your only reliable source to get Pokemon into the discard isn't fast enough because it means you won't be Marching until turn 3.

So what do you guys think is the most reliable variant of this deck. I've ran the "cancer" engine and it works wonders with it. Also, I don't know which is better, the version with Eeveelutions or without.

Blastagator said:
So what do you guys think is the most reliable variant of this deck. I've ran the "cancer" engine and it works wonders with it. Also, I don't know which is better, the version with Eeveelutions or without.

Doesn't cancer engine use trump card? Wouldn't that negate night match entirely?

Also I personally run Mew Ex with mystery energy and Dimension Valley.

It does use Trump Card, but having played it for a bit using the cancer engine, I can say it still works amazingly as long as you time it correctly. I think running Mew EX defeats one of the strengths of the deck, the fact that everything in it is only 1 prize. I run mine with the 2-2/1 Flareon/Leafeon line.

I believe Blastagator is referring to the cancer deck engine on this page: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-deck-engines-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly?pid=2703364#pid2703364

For reference, it's:

4 Juniper
4 VS Seeker
4 Random Receiver
1 Jirachi EX
4 Ultra Ball
1 Trump Card
Normally some form of item draw like Roller Skates or Acro Bike

Basically the idea is to chew through your deck super fast, Trump Card, then do it again. Night March actually might be able to end games before it needs to Trump, so you wouldn't necessarily need it here. Trump also doesn't ruin Night March at all--you just Compressor everything back to the discard again (though it does slow you down). You should be wary of playing Cancer in any deck though due to how horrible it is against Seismitoad, since almost all of your draw support comes from items in some way.

Yeah, my engine is something like this:
4 Juniper
1 Trump Card
4 Random Receiver
4 Ultra Ball
4 Acro Bike
4 VS Seeker
3 Bicycle
Most of the games I finish without having to Trump Card, might consider taking it out. Still trying to find room to put in another Eevee and Leafeon if I find a lot of people are running Seismitoad at my States.
Deck is insanely consistent, don't think there hasn't been a game where i haven't done at least 140 damage on my first turn.

I recently lost using seismitoad slurpuff agains a night march deck that uses Shaymin EX to counter toad, it was very efective :(.

I still think the Leafeon variant does better, Shaymin is an EX that takes 2 turns to set up, he can get Catchered/Lyandred before he's fully set up. Leafeon you can do in 1 turn and attack the same turn, and since some people use the Flareon you already have Eevee. It's just more efficient.

On the Mew EX version skeleton list, I would add Hard Charm to the "good additions". A Mew Ex with a hard charm is a great response to Seismatoad- you copy quaking punch, you do 30 a turn to it, but it does 10 a turn to you. It needs a 12HKO to take your Mew out. With the time you can get, you may be able to set up your NM attack.

On the Flareon version, I would add that with that version it is easier to run out of Night Marchers. You only have 12, you are rushing to get 9 into the discard. That means you have 3 to play with, plus some you used and were KOd early on, minus any that were prized. So it could just be 2-4. It is easy to get further into a game and have used those all up. The Mew version takes the pressure off by giving you 3 extra Pokemon that can do the NM attack. That could actually double the number that you have to play with- that's huge.

Back