Ruling Newcomer searching a little help

Falco-09

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everybody, this is my first post by the way. I just found this web page and i wanted to look if someone could help me.

I never played a pokemon tcg before, i became interested recently, so i have no cards, nothing. But i want to buy some.

I just want to know what do you guys recommend me, i did a little (and i mean, LITTLE) research, and i found some decks and bulks of random cards that i think are good for a first investment. If i'm wrong, tell me.

Well, for theme decks, i found the set of 3 great encounters theme decks (the ones with Dialga, Palkia and Darkrai) and the 3 diamond and pearl theme decks (the ones with Infernape, Torterra and Empoleon)
Which one do you guys recommend me?

Oh, and just for pointing out, i made a sort of agreement with a cousin, so i'm going to give him one of the 3 decks.

Besides that, i found a few bulks of random cards, each one with 50 cards.

There's one with cards from all sets, one with secret wonders cards, one with great encounters cards, and another one with mysterious treasures cards.

I would buy a few energies too.

What do you think of all this? Is it a worthy investment?

Any help and or guidance is appreciated.

Oh, almost forgot, does any one know what's included in the diamond and pearl trainer kit? Is it legal to play with those cards?

Sorry for the bunch of text, that, and if my english was too bad.

Well firstly, welcome to the game. Hopefully you can get into it. It can be lots of fun.

I would recommend you buy a theme deck and then add cards from boosters/trades. I don't really know a whole lot about the decks from the latest set, although I know the DP ones are alright. If I were you I wouldn't get Torterra because it basically sucks, but Empoleon and Infernape are good.

I don't know how much money you have to spend, but I would recommend you buy a theme deck (perhaps one of the newest ones considering the Lvl. X tins are coming out soon). If you can afford it you could buy a box from the set and get an absolute tonne of cards to add to and improve the deck. Otherwise you could just buy a heap of boosters.

As far as the starter deck goes, I have no idea how much it costs. All the cards can be used in tournaments though.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, what i want to do is to buy the 3 decks (either the ones with palkia, dialga... or the ones with empoleon, infernape...) and i'll keep 2 for myself and 1 for my cousin.

I was going to buy the palkia, dialga ones, but then i checked the pokemon cards they contain, and well, i don't like them very much, i like more the ones included in the other 3 decks.

The trainer kit supposedly has 2 decks for two players, but each one only has 30 cards, the 60 would be for me anyway, so it doesn't matter. So i think i could obtain a fair amount of decent cards. The kit costs $9, oh, and it includes a bonus booster pack.

So again, what i intend to buy is maybe, the Set of 3 decks, the trainer kit, 50 random cards, and maybe single cards, like 2 smeargles.

From my past experience, I started off with playing a deck with all the cards I have. At the same time, I bought 1~3 packs of booster every month (I was out of budget :p) so that i can trade the cards I need. After awhile, I started to make a deck myself based on the strategy and combo I thought of. Then, I played test with proxy cards to find out what else i can improve. Finally, I traded and bought the cards I need to complete my deck.

I think it would be a good investment for a starter :) In future, you might need to get more booster so that you can get more rares for trade or build your deck.

Yeah, i'm kinda short of budget, and i think it would be more difficult if i buy a lot of booster and create a custom deck.

Maybe i should stick with the pre mades for a while, just changing a few cards here and there.

I'll try to buy more boosters and cards eventually, to start creating custom decks with the things i like.

When I started I bought 2 theme decks and kind of mixed them together, as well as added other good cards from boosters.

I have not made a new deck since then. Just modified it a lot.

If you got to pick a set of 3, go for the Dialga-Palkia-Darkrai ones. Keep the Darkrai one for yourself. The first thing you gotta do is obtain more trainers. Do you have a league in your area? If so, you should take a look there, see what you can obtain trainer- and help-wise.

I might chose those decks after all, what do you think of decks darkrai-dialga? I like palkia more than dialga though, but i like more the cards included in that one.

Hmmm, i don't know any league near me, but i guess i'll have to take a look around just for being sure.

Anyway thanks for the tip.

firstly..wlecome to the game..
i would definetely choos the GE set theme decks...they seem to be more playable...but if you really want to take the DP sets..
the infernape deck's pretty good...all you will need to make it better is just a Infernape lv X
i started with one theme deck and occasionally bought boosters..

Based on my opinion..boosters are a better way to get cards then to just buy them in bulk..
buying boosters gives you taht thrill of opening your pack and if you get a good card..the satisfaction of it..

After a while...it would be good to try and see combos which are widely played or find a combo yourself to make a custom
deck...theme decks can only bring you THAT far...
you can also discuss about combos in the card strategy and combo section and post decks that you made or want a rating in the deck garage section on this site... there will be a lot of helpful people around here...

Hope you enjoy this game and site.

Back