New 'V-UNION' Trademark Filed for the Pokemon TCG!

Cue2Power

Cramorant is Godly
I still think its gonna bring back a mechanic similar to Legend pairs, but for calyrex riders, and other fusion pokemon.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I hate that I'm not excited for this, and instead I'm just dreading the release of yet another overpriced & understocked set....

I absolutely feel ya on that. New sets are starting to feel like getting a huge bill in the mail.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
If they go along this kind of route. Could this also be used to make Necrozma/Kyurem form V-UNION cards perhaps?
They could, but I doubt it.

Honestly, I could very easily see this being a one-off either in a set or for a special box set item.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I have no idea if this is sarcastic or not.
But I mean...GX was very similar to EX, just evolution and a special move added. V was even closer to EX. Also, they don't seem to venture too far off the beaten path in terms of trends. Tapu Lele was like Jirachi EX, Dedenne was like Shaymin, Crobat was like both. Boss' Orders was just Lysandre again. Lost March was Night March again slightly tweaked. Mad Party was the same thing slightly tweaked again.
I have no idea what this is, but I think it's fair to assume V-Union could be Tag Teams again slightly tweaked. Especially considering Union is the key word.

Except I don't think it's fair at all to say "just" evolution and a special move added, like it's no biggie. The fact that they were sometimes full blown evolution pokémon, having to setup just like regular 1 prizers would is a huge deal, plus, the GX attacks being a one time thing added a whole new decision layer to games (which of the GX attacks I have at my disposal should I use? When is the best time to use it? Etc.). And sure, there have always been and there always will be throwbacks in card *effects*, but same effects is not necessarily the same thing as same card design. For instance, Shaymin-EX and Crobat V have similar effects, but the fact one has 110hp and the other has 180hp says they don't have similar card designs. Plus, another thing to be considered, is that in the examples you used, those were things that were well regarded by players in some way or another and to some degree or another. On the other hand, big basics, especially when taken to the extremes Tag Teams took 'em, not so much, so I wouldn't underestimate them as much as most people are, they know this stuff, they are not completely blind to player base perception about their product as some people imply. So, yeah, I still stand my ground on highly doubting V-Union will be just some re-skinned Tag Team sorta thing, I feel it should be something along the lines of Legends, or something similar to that.

Pone

Delta Species is best species
Except I don't think it's fair at all to say "just" evolution and a special move added, like it's no biggie. The fact that they were sometimes full blown evolution pokémon, having to setup just like regular 1 prizers would is a huge deal, plus, the GX attacks being a one time thing added a whole new decision layer to games (which of the GX attacks I have at my disposal should I use? When is the best time to use it? Etc.). And sure, there have always been and there always will be throwbacks in card *effects*, but same effects is not necessarily the same thing as same card design. For instance, Shaymin-EX and Crobat V have similar effects, but the fact one has 110hp and the other has 180hp says they don't have similar card designs. Plus, another thing to be considered, is that in the examples you used, those were things that were well regarded by players in some way or another and to some degree or another. On the other hand, big basics, especially when taken to the extremes Tag Teams took 'em, not so much, so I wouldn't underestimate them as much as most people are, they know this stuff, they are not completely blind to player base perception about their product as some people imply. So, yeah, I still stand my ground on highly doubting V-Union will be just some re-skinned Tag Team sorta thing, I feel it should be something along the lines of Legends, or something similar to that.
I really would like to believe that they were bringing back Legend cards, which to me were the coolest and most interesting mechanic aside from Delta Species, but they've shown time and time again, especially with generation 8, that they definitely don't care about true fans because casual fans and children with rich parents get them much more money. What do casual fans and kids look for? Mostly Charizard, but also mostly YUGE damage and YUGE HP. And since the casual fanbase is so much more enormous than the fans that actually care, that's the fanbase they've chosen to cater to. While Legend cards can probably have pretty high HP these days, regurgitating a mechanic they know sold well last year is way easier to capitalize on and Legend cards probably would be deemed "too confusing" for their modern target audience.
I believe they know that diehard fans are upset with the direction they've taken, and I also believe that they just don't care anymore. They've taken on that mindset of doubling and even tripling down on strategies that are solely for the casual fans, true fans be darned.
Look at the games. They gutted the Pokédex, hiked up the price, botched the renders of the scenery, heavily dragged their feet for the story, and provably lied about why they were doing some of these things. They're still charging $90 for less of an experience than you would have expected from a regular $40 cartridge just 2 or 3 generations ago. They've gone unashamedly EA on the fans because it's all about the lowest common denominator now. The rest of us barely factor in, if it all.

Stalltar

Aspiring Trainer
I really would like to believe that they were bringing back Legend cards, which to me were the coolest and most interesting mechanic aside from Delta Species, but they've shown time and time again, especially with generation 8, that they definitely don't care about true fans because casual fans and children with rich parents get them much more money. What do casual fans and kids look for? Mostly Charizard, but also mostly YUGE damage and YUGE HP. And since the casual fanbase is so much more enormous than the fans that actually care, that's the fanbase they've chosen to cater to. While Legend cards can probably have pretty high HP these days, regurgitating a mechanic they know sold well last year is way easier to capitalize on and Legend cards probably would be deemed "too confusing" for their modern target audience.
I believe they know that diehard fans are upset with the direction they've taken, and I also believe that they just don't care anymore. They've taken on that mindset of doubling and even tripling down on strategies that are solely for the casual fans, true fans be darned.
Look at the games. They gutted the Pokédex, hiked up the price, botched the renders of the scenery, heavily dragged their feet for the story, and provably lied about why they were doing some of these things. They're still charging $90 for less of an experience than you would have expected from a regular $40 cartridge just 2 or 3 generations ago. They've gone unashamedly EA on the fans because it's all about the lowest common denominator now. The rest of us barely factor in, if it all.
I can’t help but somewhat disagree with this. Although tpci has shown they are creatively bankrupt this generation with nearly everything being a regurgitated idea, legend cards would undeniably be a huge cash cow and I have a hunch tpci knows this. Even to casual fans/collectors they’ll just appreciate the legend art and will open more product to complete the halves. On top of this, a casual player doesn’t have to play by the rules and could just play the big beautiful card like a normal basic or something else. So although the chances for legend cards returning is relatively low, I wouldn’t discount it since they’d make a killing with such a huge group of fans, true or not.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer

I don't share the pessimism towards the card game (I do agree it has seen much better days tough), but boy do I feel sad about the games :'(

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
And don’t forget Zacian and Zamazenta V-Union, which for three Metal Energy does 300 Damage and if you knock something out you take an extra prize and it also prevents all damage done to it during your opponents next turn. And it has 600 HP and it’s ability let’s it hold up to three Pokémon Tools.
Not to mention Mew and Mewtwo V-Union, which has 520 HP and an ability that lets it use the attacks of every single card in the game. It also has an attack for 1 colourless energy that deals 100 damage for each energy attached to both Active Pokemon.
Oh, and Zoroark and Eternatus V-Union, which has 530 HP and an ability that lets you once per turn discard a card from your hand and draw 4 cards, and an attack that for 2 colourless energy does 150 damage for each Pokemon on your bench. It also has an attack for 1 dark energy that allows you to remove all copies of one card from your opponent's deck.

Kizrr

Aspiring Trainer
Whyyyyyyy. Pokémon please explain releasing champions path then a few months later another special scalper set, and a few months after that ANOTHER special set. I guess it works for them but what about the younger audience without a steady income you won’t be getting those people to buy each set. Mildly upset by this decision but oh well it’s not my choice to make.

Its Pokemons 25th year so they just said lets print some money

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
I want to be hopeful that these won't be just Tag Teams Part 2, but more like Legend cards where you have to play both halves at once.. maybe you play them side by side instead of top and bottom, where the left half will have (most of) the artwork, and the right half will have Ability/attacks and W/R/RC?

Idk I'm so curious about how these cards are gonna look it's driving me crazy LOL

onkel_morten

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Maybe it evolves two V’s into one VUnion? That could be pretty interesting if they made it worth it.

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
So obviously V-Union is meant for Calyrex, meaning it's entirely possible the V-Union Box is Calyrex/Spectrier or Calyrex/Glastrier, and that's the big rep for and reason behind making the mechanic. It'll probably play like legend cards, yes, but I will also not be surprised at all if KOing one of them gives up 4 prizes, since it'll be a supposed combo of 2 V pokemon. All I ask is that TPCi keeps HP in the same range as VMAXes, cuz anything above that is just ridiculous.

Pone

Delta Species is best species
Not to mention Mew and Mewtwo V-Union, which has 520 HP and an ability that lets it use the attacks of every single card in the game. It also has an attack for 1 colourless energy that deals 100 damage for each energy attached to both Active Pokemon.
Oh, and Zoroark and Eternatus V-Union, which has 530 HP and an ability that lets you once per turn discard a card from your hand and draw 4 cards, and an attack that for 2 colourless energy does 150 damage for each Pokemon on your bench. It also has an attack for 1 dark energy that allows you to remove all copies of one card from your opponent's deck.
Can't wait for Skitty & Wailord V-Union for that ultimate stall potential and neverending memes.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Can't wait for Skitty & Wailord V-Union for that ultimate stall potential and neverending memes.
Oh, that has 600 HP and an ability that says once per turn you may discard your opponent's hand and all energy attached to all their Pokemon.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
k001nhrh3ly21.gif

I didn't even like this gimmick when it was Legend cards and there were only two pieces to complete the picture. We don't need more chase cards as it is. But we definitely do not need a four-piece chase card when entire pieces are things like a picture of Mewtwo's hand. Ew at all of this.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Okay, we should be grateful they only give up three prizes. I wonder how the board management will work with such monstrosities.