New 'V-UNION' Trademark Filed for the Pokemon TCG!

fleshrum

Cephalophore
THANK YOU for eliminating any possible clout these people are trying to stir up about V-Unions!

These players, talented, crafty and admirably resourceful though they may be, are too proud to admit that their TAG TEAM decks, despite their astounding dominance, have been causing way too many problems for casual players trying to get into the game. They're only dissing V-Unions because they can't find ways to use them quickly, lazily, cheaply, and effectively. If this is TPCI's way of flipping the Delibird to all of THOSE players, then they've truly succeeded! I personally look forward to seeing how the more whole-hearted players will utilize these behemoth V-Unions as they're released!

What are you on about? both are horrendous.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
One thing for collectors to remember with the art issue: the first LEGEND cards only featured one Pokemon each. It's possible that later V-UNION cards will feature 2-4 Pokemon, making the individual cards more aesthetically pleasing than these. Also, I highly doubt that there will be full arts or rainbow rares for these. They're already stylistically like alt-arts.

ApricornNut

Optimistic Trainer/Collector
What are you on about? both are horrendous.
Hey, I have faith in the players who use actual strategy, unlike the players I described. I'm sure that with enough craftiness and with cards that may be released in the future to support V-Us, there will be a way for V-Us to become relatively viable! They're definitely clunky and imperfect, I'll admit that. But it's such a wild new mechanic that makes me excited to see how players will work them out into their decks!

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Hey, I have faith in the players who use actual strategy, unlike the players I described. I'm sure that with enough craftiness and with cards that may be released in the future to support V-Us, there will be a way for V-Us to become relatively viable! They're definitely clunky and imperfect, I'll admit that. But it's such a wild new mechanic that makes me excited to see how players will work them out into their decks!

What exactly is with the aggressiveness? Why do you need to "flip the bird" to players just over what decks they use? It isn't like they are the ones who made Tag Teams the way they are, TPC did and they fully intended them to be used the way they are and the power creep they created. Some people want to play at a high competitive standard and they realise that yes, Tag Teams and Vmax cards certainly do make other strategies non-viable but they want to make it so the high cost of travelling is worthwhile to them, that they aren't dropping hundreds of dollars on travel expenses just to have a bad time and drop because the decks they actually enjoy may or may not be able to compete. If they enjoy playing that way then that's just fine, and no one should have to be receiving insults over it.

People aren't defending what Tag Teams and now Vmaxes have done to the game, most of what I read on these forums suggests the opposite. No one will mourn when Tag Teams rotate because they warped the game around themselves to an incredibly unhealthy extent.

I'm sure that players and myself included would love to play V-Unions if not for the fact that Tag Teams and some of the latest Vmaxes are too strong and efficient to let any other mechanic have a chance.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
*How players will work them into their big bulky basic decks.
Your average Stage 2 deck doesn't have much room for tech or side cards compared to Basic decks, so 4 of these cards would tank their consistency. So, if anything, these cards just make V and Tag Team decks better while making everything else worse. Because those decks might be able to actually squeeze in a V-Union.

EDIT: To add onto this, V and Tag Team decks will usually use Quick Ball, which will give the player a chance to discard V Union cards. However, evolution decks will often play Level Ball, which means no discard. These V-Unions just make the decks that you seem to despise so much even better!

Last edited:

ELTRENDY BEAST

Aspiring Trainer
To be honest, in realistic terms, 30% of the time, you'll play a single V-Union card in every game. That's what I am going to say
But with vmax at most you'll play like 3 so it's not that different. I think it might be a late atacker after ur main atacker gets KO. Zacian is the best one because it can use bronzong.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
What exactly is with the aggressiveness? Why do you need to "flip the bird" to players just over what decks they use? It isn't like they are the ones who made Tag Teams the way they are, TPC did and they fully intended them to be used the way they are and the power creep they created. Some people want to play at a high competitive standard and they realise that yes, Tag Teams and Vmax cards certainly do make other strategies non-viable but they want to make it so the high cost of travelling is worthwhile to them, that they aren't dropping hundreds of dollars on travel expenses just to have a bad time and drop because the decks they actually enjoy may or may not be able to compete. If they enjoy playing that way then that's just fine, and no one should have to be receiving insults over it.

People aren't defending what Tag Teams and now Vmaxes have done to the game, most of what I read on these forums suggests the opposite. No one will mourn when Tag Teams rotate because they warped the game around themselves to an incredibly unhealthy extent.

I'm sure that players and myself included would love to play V-Unions if not for the fact that Tag Teams and some of the latest Vmaxes are too strong and efficient to let any other mechanic have a chance.

Sorry, but when almost half of the comments in these news are about how "WOW THEY'RE HORRIBLE I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE THINKING NO ONE WILL PLAY THESE WHY CAN'T I JUST PLAY THEM AS IT IS FROM MY HAND, WHY DO I NEED TO PUT ALL THE PIECES IN DISCARD, WHAT WAS TCPI THINKING" I can't help but think how there's this sense of entitlement permeating the atmosphere, about how players just want constant powercreep and ease of use while decrying stuff that actually requires you to go out of your way to think about how it fits onto your deck, how it plays with your main attackers, and if the cost of 4 spots in your deck and the possibility of prizing everything is worth the inclusion.

You are right that TPCi was at fault for printing Tag Teams as it is, for the reign of ADP lasting almost 2 years, for the simplified card design and how basic beatdown plus accel is how decks win nowadays.

But people need to own up to their reactions, and instead of decrying the next mechanic to come simply because it isn't as thoughtless or overpowered as Tag Teams were, maybe understand that rampant and constant powercreep is unsustainable in a card game model. And that moving away from restrictionless basics is just gonna help the game moving forward.

Unfortunately, it seems that despite players complaining that stuff is overpowered and broken, they still want stuff that's overpowered and broken instead of interesting.

ELTRENDY BEAST

Aspiring Trainer
Sorry, but when almost half of the comments in these news are about how "WOW THEY'RE HORRIBLE I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE THINKING NO ONE WILL PLAY THESE WHY CAN'T I JUST PLAY THEM AS IT IS FROM MY HAND, WHY DO I NEED TO PUT ALL THE PIECES IN DISCARD, WHAT WAS TCPI THINKING" I can't help but think how there's this sense of entitlement permeating the atmosphere, about how players just want constant powercreep and ease of use while decrying stuff that actually requires you to go out of your way to think about how it fits onto your deck, how it plays with your main attackers, and if the cost of 4 spots in your deck and the possibility of prizing everything is worth the inclusion.

You are right that TPCi was at fault for printing Tag Teams as it is, for the reign of ADP lasting almost 2 years, for the simplified card design and how basic beatdown plus accel is how decks win nowadays.

But people need to own up to their reactions, and instead of decrying the next mechanic to come simply because it isn't as thoughtless or overpowered as Tag Teams were, maybe understand that rampant and constant powercreep is unsustainable in a card game model. And that moving away from restrictionless basics is just gonna help the game moving forward.

Unfortunately, it seems that despite players complaining that stuff is overpowered and broken, they still want stuff that's overpowered and broken instead of interesting.
No we just want playable cards. People don't want OP cards. Why would you like cards that won't be usable.(btw I'm not saying these are not playable because we still don't know).

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
*How players will work them into their big bulky basic decks.
Your average Stage 2 deck doesn't have much room for tech or side cards compared to Basic decks, so 4 of these cards would tank their consistency. So, if anything, these cards just make V and Tag Team decks better while making everything else worse. Because those decks might be able to actually squeeze in a V-Union.

EDIT: To add onto this, V and Tag Team decks will usually use Quick Ball, which will give the player a chance to discard V Union cards. However, evolution decks will often play Level Ball, which means no discard. These V-Unions just make the decks that are already good better!
V-Union usually counts as a playset. So if they can manage to Turn 1 a V-Union, then my opinion on them will change. 1 per game though

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
It's weird having these co-exist with VMAX when VMAXs are supposed to represent gigantic Pokemon yet this would better represent that lol

Maybe this one of the ideas they tested for how to implement Dynamax in the TCG, realized it was too clunky both for the competitive and collector scenes, but then they decided to revisit the concept as a a promo-only thing (I hope).

ApricornNut

Optimistic Trainer/Collector

EXACTLY! Y'all are acting like TPCI isn't capable of printing more cards in the future that can provide huge support for V-Us so that they can actually become viable. It's called patience!

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Honestly, above all else, I just hope these are as powerful as these cards get. I'm all for complex but these are a special kind of convoluted. Not to mention, V/Tag Team decks REALLY don't need a powerful new type of card.

In fact, standard really doesn't need a new type of card at all, considering how messy it is. So hopefully these are one-off promos that don't get more support, and Creatures can focus on making VMAXs that are actually interesting but not close to broken. (And, y'know, a single-prize deck that can compete with them.)

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Holy crap...did people went crazy over these... I'm not even gonna bother with emotional rants, I'm trying to be more pragmatic about it. These cards are going to be in the game, period, there's no rage that'll change that, so I'm just interested in how they will affect it.

Something I was thinking just now that scares me, is how these are potentially too clunky in one place (standard) and completely broken in another (expanded). The fact that they're neither basic nor evolution pokémon means there's pratically no reliable way to search the pieces in standard, the supporter is too slow, specially in this format, and just hoping to get to them naturally as the game progresses as some people suggested doesn't sound like a good idea to me, at least in paper. It already feels like there's never enough space in lists as it is, let alone having to lose 4 slots to these, plus, the loss of consistency is not worth it I feel like. Imagine having one or more pieces Marnie'd to the bottom of your deck. Ugh, yikes. On the other hand, like everyone and their dogs pointed out, in expanded, with Battle Compressor, these feel kinda dumb. The question in expanded is: is the loss of consistency there, less severe than it is for decks in standard, enough so to make them not too big of a liability? I mean, sure, Battle Compressor helps get them in the discard, but they can still show up in your hands and just mess some of those hands up, plus, there's the same problem of like "oh, one of them is prized? too bad..." that we'd have in standard.

All of this is just, of course, speculation, and only when we get our hands on them and test them we'll have a good notion of how they actually play out in both formats. With just my instincts, at this moment, my guess is they'll be too clunky for standard, and good enough (potentially scary) in expanded.

On the issues of acquiring them, I think most people are highly overreacting. Even if they're like Vmax level of rarity instead of V level (which I think is a safe bet), they're still easier to get than the typical 4-3 V-Vmax lines. Plus, there's no reason for one card to be more valuable than the other, so people with "2 legs" will just trade people with "2 faces" and so on. At least on PTCGO it sounds super easy, I can already see the endless listings of people trading specific parts for other specific parts, I think this is a non-issue.

Anyway, I think overall, although I agree that it's not the most "elegant" design ever, I mean...it's exciting, at least for me, it's interesting to think about how could we potentially use them. I think they pose interesting deck-building challenges. The art is also dope. Also, hard to pull off or not, Zacian looks absolutely stupid, I dread the day I'll have to be on the receiving end of that.

LilTone96TTV

Aspiring Trainer
Is battle compressor going to get banned in expanded now :(
Nope it won’t. This is exactly like the argument for why ADP GX isn’t banned in expanded because of Double Dragon Energy. ADP’s counter is Ranger and Battle Compressors is Karen/New Spiritomb from chilling reign. If V-union ever gets played a lot. Everyone will tech a Karen or New Spiritomb in their deck.

Wyvu

Aspiring Trainer
Can't wait for the inevitable Charizard V-UNION with a 400 damage, 6 energy attack

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Yugioh has exodia, MTG has the meld mechanic. If you don't have all the pieces, the individual pieces still have its uses.

What does one of these V Union cards do? This is like if the G1 Optimus Prime toy was broken into 5 pieces, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, and torso. Individually, is there any play value in these pieces? Now compare this to Bruticus. Left arm can transform into a robot and a helicopter, right arm can transform into a robot and a space shuttle, left leg can transform into a robot and a tank, right leg can transform into a robot and a jeep, and torso can transform into a robot and a flatbed truck.

You pull a part of the V union card, the card is complete garbage. Useless.