PTCGO New trainer here!

AwakenedVoid117

Aspiring Trainer
By new, I mean I downloaded the Pokemon TCG:O app, and got through the tutorial and a good part of the Trainer stuff, and begin Theme Deck VS. I worked my way to getting the theme deck Night Striker and completely regret it now, but we all learn right.

What I really want to start playing is a deck I create, now to start off with I have like no cards besides the packs I opened and ones I won from playing VS. But I was wondering if people here could help me with the amount of trainers, and maybe what trainers and energy I should have in my deck.

When it comes to Pokemon, I really have nothing special, so no clue how to really get started HAHA!

Thanks!

Which theme decks do you already have? That will give us a basis of your card pool to start with as far as Pokémon and Trainers.

Did you pull any EX or GX cards in your free packs? If you got a good one then it might be good to throw it in, depending what it was.

Some staple trainers that you really want are things like Professor Sycamore, N, Lysandre, and Ultra Ball just to name a couple.

Hello,

welcome to the wonderfull world of the Pokemon TCG.
Things you need to know: There are two formats (technically 3. But most people don´t care for Unlimited)
Standard: Which rotates Sets every-ish year. Which has the latest few sets in it.
Expanded: Which rotates i think every 3 Years-ish? Which includes all cards starting with the Black and White sets.

Trainercards you wanna look out for:
Supporter (watch out. You can only use one per round. So you dont wanna have to many of these. Even if they are very powerfull)
Prof Sycamore or Juniper if you decide to play Expanded
Lysandre
N
Prof Birch
Shauna
Ninja Boy
Pokemon Center Lady
Ace Trainer
Teammates
Pokémon Ranger
Hex Maniac

Items: (You can use these as often per turn as you like)
Hyper Ball
Trainer´s Mail
Max Elixir
VS Seeker
Some Stadiums depending on the deck you want to play.

And i prob missed some.
But yeah. These are some of the most common and usefull. If you have some more questions. Feel free to ask

Which theme decks do you already have? That will give us a basis of your card pool to start with as far as Pokémon and Trainers.

Did you pull any EX or GX cards in your free packs? If you got a good one then it might be good to throw it in, depending what it was.

Some staple trainers that you really want are things like Professor Sycamore, N, Lysandre, and Ultra Ball just to name a couple.

Well I just started building my first ever deck. I figured I would start with Trainers first, which is here.
##Trainer Cards - 22
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 N
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 1 VS Seeker
* 2 Lysandre
* 2 Max Elixir
* 2 Professor's Letter
* 2 Switch
* 2 Trainers' Mail

These are based on actual cards I have, so you know.

As of Pokemon, man I don't have anything good I don't think, let me go look.
I only have that Mewtwo one they give you in the beginning.

The Theme Deck I bought was Night Striker, which is decent, I saw how Gengar can be really powerful, and saw how he could be completely useless as well so far in Versus.

But I guess at this point my main objective is to figure out what pokemon I need to start using. Then i'll pick out my energy. I wish there was a way to export all the pokemon I have.

I also have besides Gengar and Mewtwo EX 2 - Noivern's and a Zoroark.
Maybe this can help you make a decision for me? LOL

This is what I am rolling with so far, I need to find 5 more cards. But this is the best I can do I think.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 3 Noibat
* 2 Zorua
* 1 Zoroark
* 2 Noivern
* 2 Gastly
* 2 Haunter
* 1 Mewtwo-EX
* 2 Wobbuffet

##Trainer Cards - 22

* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 N
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 1 VS Seeker
* 2 Lysandre
* 2 Max Elixir
* 2 Professor's Letter
* 2 Switch
* 2 Trainers' Mail

##Energy - 18

* 2 Double Colorless Energy
* 12 Psychic Energy
* 4 Darkness Energy

Total Cards - 55

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Do you have float stone? That can be really helpful. Double Dragon Energy might help the Noivern. Also, throw the Gengar in there. Might as well, it can help get some easy KOs every once in awhile.

Also, your 16 basic energy is kind of high. I'd drop that to maybe 12-14 total. (Which is still high for a competitive deck, but this is more a beginner deck so high energy is ok. Also, consider a Super Rod or two to get discarded Pokémon and energy back into the deck. More VS Seeker if you have them, but that's not the easiest one to get.

Which version of the Pokémon are you running? There are several Noivern, Mewtwo, Zoroark, and Wobbuffet cards. Some are decidedly better than others. lol If you know the set or can write the ability/attack that would help.

Do you have float stone? That can be really helpful. Double Dragon Energy might help the Noivern. Also, throw the Gengar in there. Might as well, it can help get some easy KOs every once in awhile.

Also, your 16 basic energy is kind of high. I'd drop that to maybe 12-14 total. (Which is still high for a competitive deck, but this is more a beginner deck so high energy is ok. Also, consider a Super Rod or two to get discarded Pokémon and energy back into the deck. More VS Seeker if you have them, but that's not the easiest one to get.

Which version of the Pokémon are you running? There are several Noivern, Mewtwo, Zoroark, and Wobbuffet cards. Some are decidedly better than others. lol If you know the set or can write the ability/attack that would help.

I think I export it with the set.
Does this tell you the set by any chance?

But I will let you know anyway,

Noivern - Tuning & Air Slash 120 dmg
Mewtwo - Energy Absorption, Regeneration, Psyburn 110 dmg
Zoroark - Stand in & Mind Jack (Honestly Mind Jack isn't that bad, I have wrecked people that don't know this card, I know it can be countered. But I thought to myself though, it is their choice to put more on their bench since it's the only way to give energy to a pokemon, so he can scare trainers into placing a pokemon on bench. I know i'm such a noob and you are most likely laughing.)
Wobbuffet - I remember it's first attack isn't an attack it's a coin flip that if heads no damage is taken, i thought it could help stall the game if i needed too.
Second ability i remember does 50 damage, for 3 energy.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 21

* 3 Noibat BKT 131
* 2 Zorua BKT 89
* 1 Zoroark BKT 91
* 2 Noivern BKT 112
* 2 Gastly BKT 58
* 2 Haunter BKT 59
* 1 Mewtwo-EX EVO 52
* 2 Ralts BKT 68
* 2 Kirlia BKT 69
* 2 Gallade PLS 61
* 2 Wobbuffet BKT 67

##Trainer Cards - 22

* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 N FAC 105
* 4 Ultra Ball FAC 113
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 2 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 2 Switch BLW 104
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92

##Energy - 17

* 2 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 11 Psychic Energy XYEnergy 8
* 4 Darkness Energy XYEnergy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Ok thanks. Yes, the set is the three letter abbreviation and the number is the card number. (Helpful for Mewtwo, since that one has multiple prints in the same set!) So BKT is BreakThrough, just for your reference since many of yours are from that set.

And yeah, the Zoroark can be really good, that one especially. What you do is you put a float stone on it, then Stand In and use the stone for free retreat into whatever you want to attack with, instantly curing any status effects like Confusion or Poison. (Including the confusion you caused from your own Haunter!) The Zoroark Break is pretty good to in some situations.

Hello,

welcome to the wonderfull world of the Pokemon TCG.
Things you need to know: There are two formats (technically 3. But most people don´t care for Unlimited)
Standard: Which rotates Sets every-ish year. Which has the latest few sets in it.
Expanded: Which rotates i think every 3 Years-ish? Which includes all cards starting with the Black and White sets.

As he is playing on the PTCGO, there is also the Legacy Format, with Theme Decks being their own format as well.

I actually recommend grinding out in Theme Deck mode until one can acquire enough trading fodder to build a budget deck.

Oh! @AwakenedVoid117 Just to make sure you know, unopened booster packs are basically money on the PTCGO. Some folks do make direct card for card trades, but the easiest, most effective way is to save up your booster packs and use them.

As he is playing on the PTCGO, there is also the Legacy Format, with Theme Decks being their own format as well.

I actually recommend grinding out in Theme Deck mode until one can acquire enough trading fodder to build a budget deck.

Oh! @AwakenedVoid117 Just to make sure you know, unopened booster packs are basically money on the PTCGO. Some folks do make direct card for card trades, but the easiest, most effective way is to save up your booster packs and use them.

What do you mean use them as money? Like use them to get other booster packs?

What do you mean use them as money? Like use them to get other booster packs?

Trade unopened PTCGO boosters for anything available in the PTCGO: singles, other boosters, etc.

The official Pokémon TCG Online forums can be found here.

Besides getting news and stuff about what is happening, like Rotom Dex being temporarily banned due to it causing issues, there is a subforum here known as the In-Game Item Exchange. This not only helps when you have questions or need to set up a non-specific trade in game (hypothetical example: "What can I get for 8 packs of Sun & Moon?"), but there are many threads by "trading groups".

Some of these trading groups may refer to themselves as trading guilds, trading companies, etc. but they all amount to groups of players who love trading in the game! Seriously, it is a game in and of itself, with much virtual booty at stake! XD Their listings act as a price guide, giving you an idea how much you can expect for a single booster of a particular set (not all sets are valued equally), and the high end for trade rates. The best have someone online most (if not all of the time) to try and resolve trade requests (which you make in these forums, as per instructions in their respective threads), and assuming you don't mess up your math calculating how much you need to offer, you'll probably have your trade finished within the hour (sometimes in mere minutes!). Convenience costs, though, so they can ask a bit more than you could if you offered the same thing, but people had to wait for you to be online to finish the trade. Another to clarify example: If they want 8 booster packs for a card, and you are trading away that same card but ask for 10, the only people who will take it are those that don't know they can get a better deal from one of these groups.

Even if you decide to never use them, these threads act as a price guide. :)

Sorry if you knew all this, but this is perhaps the most important thing to know about the PTCGO beyond how to use the interface. XD

Ok thanks. Yes, the set is the three letter abbreviation and the number is the card number. (Helpful for Mewtwo, since that one has multiple prints in the same set!) So BKT is BreakThrough, just for your reference since many of yours are from that set.

And yeah, the Zoroark can be really good, that one especially. What you do is you put a float stone on it, then Stand In and use the stone for free retreat into whatever you want to attack with, instantly curing any status effects like Confusion or Poison. (Including the confusion you caused from your own Haunter!) The Zoroark Break is pretty good to in some situations.

Yea, I need to start gaining more and more trainer cards LOL

I keep hearing different things here and there on what I should be going for, I know I need to be trying for cards like Shaymin EX, but I don't have anything good at this point, I guess I just need to relax and play with a hurting deck until I can get some more cards and what not.

The "Packs as money" thing is that you can trade for both cards AND packs with other players. So instead of trading Greninja Break for say a Mewtwo EX, I can trade say 12 packs for your Greninja Break, then you can take the packs and trade 8 of them for Johnny's Mewtwo and open 4 yourself. Packs are a good medium as I might not have any Mewtwo, and you might not want Mewtwo anyway. By using packs, there's a "Currency" that people can use to get what they want.

(Hypothetical example and not necessarily a fair trade, values change as the market changes)

Some people open their packs, some people just trade them. Different packs are worth more or less depending on the set. For example, when I traded for my Greninja Breaks, they were worth about 12 FAC packs, but only 7 ROS packs as ROS are worth more. (Thanks to Shaymin) I don't remember the exact counts, but that's probably pretty close.

You can win tradable packs in game through tournaments, or whenever you buy a pack in real life you get a code card that you can use to get a pack online, which will then be tradable. Packs you buy with your coins in game are not tradable, so open those up!

The "Packs as money" thing is that you can trade for both cards AND packs with other players. So instead of trading Greninja Break for say a Mewtwo EX, I can trade say 12 packs for your Greninja Break, then you can take the packs and trade 8 of them for Johnny's Mewtwo and open 4 yourself. Packs are a good medium as I might not have any Mewtwo, and you might not want Mewtwo anyway. By using packs, there's a "Currency" that people can use to get what they want.

(Hypothetical example and not necessarily a fair trade, values change as the market changes)

Some people open their packs, some people just trade them. Different packs are worth more or less depending on the set. For example, when I traded for my Greninja Breaks, they were worth about 12 FAC packs, but only 7 ROS packs as ROS are worth more. (Thanks to Shaymin) I don't remember the exact counts, but that's probably pretty close.

You can win tradable packs in game through tournaments, or whenever you buy a pack in real life you get a code card that you can use to get a pack online, which will then be tradable. Packs you buy with your coins in game are not tradable, so open those up!

Gotcha, so the only way to get trade-able packs is play and win in tournaments or buy booster packs at like say, walmart. They have codes that I can redeem them with?

As far as I know yes, or you can trade for them. So if you get a tradable EX that you don't want, you can probably trade it for a few packs. I might have missed a way to get them, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I did. :) Oh I guess you can buy codes from some websites, but I've never tried that.

As far as I know yes, or you can trade for them. So if you get a tradable EX that you don't want, you can probably trade it for a few packs. I might have missed a way to get them, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I did. :) Oh I guess you can buy codes from some websites, but I've never tried that.

Hey thank you so much, I do see it now online with every booster purchase a redeem code comes with it, I will make sure to buy a couple Roaring Skies, for fun in hopes of some Shaymin EX which won't happen, but you can always pretend its gonna happen LOL

Lol yeah that ever elusive Shaymin. I was lucky, I bought a booster box like a year ago and pulled two in the box, and then really lucked out and got three with my online codes. (two from that box, then a third from a random pack code I opened later)

Also, with the coins you earn in game, you can buy ROS packs. Can't trade them or the cards from them, but if you get the Shaymin you'll be using it not trading it anyway.

If you do get a tradable one online, it's worth like 50 packs or something crazy like that. (might have changed since the reprint was announced)

Lol yeah that ever elusive Shaymin. I was lucky, I bought a booster box like a year ago and pulled two in the box, and then really lucked out and got three with my online codes. (two from that box, then a third from a random pack code I opened later)

Also, with the coins you earn in game, you can buy ROS packs. Can't trade them or the cards from them, but if you get the Shaymin you'll be using it not trading it anyway.

If you do get a tradable one online, it's worth like 50 packs or something crazy like that. (might have changed since the reprint was announced)

Yea, if I ever pull a Shaymin I will not trade or sell it I would def. be using it. My deck is pathetic, but im seeing some ways to easier land more VS Seeker's and Ultra Balls from some theme decks and what not. At least then I know im def. getting some cards I need.

yeah those aren't as difficult to get or trade for.

Also, if you are into spending money on the physical card game, the Keldio/Rayquaza Battle Arena deck gives you two 60 card expanded decks and a code card to get all those cards online! Many of the trainers are still standard legal, lots of water support and two VS Seekers also. it's the only way to get Karen, if that trainer interests you.

Back