New to the TCG, threats to my Garbodor deck and advice?

back_and_forth

Aspiring Trainer
Hey Pokebeach! I'm back_and_forth, an aspiring TCG player. I've collected since I was a kid, and my only experience in the game so far is playing without energy with my little brother when I was eight. I've been saving up my money for quite a while to get this deck together, and would appreciate suggestions. Specifically, I'm looking for advice on what the main threats to this deck are, and modifications I can make or strategies I can use to counter them. I've been studying game mechanics for several days now, including watching TheTopCut to see how players at the highest levels play. I'm open to and ready for advice, and appreciate you spending time on this thread!

DISCLAIMER: This is not my deck, it is a deck I found on thedeckout.com. As I said, I'm new to the TCG, and currently do not have the expertise to put my own together. My apologies.

This is a Garbodor/Registeel EX/Groudon EX deck.

Pokemon:
3x Trubbish
3x Garbodor
3x Registeel EX
2x Groudon EX
1x Terrakion
=12

Trainer:
4x N
4x Bianca
4x Juniper
1x Cheren
3x Heavy Ball
2x Level Ball
3x EXP Share
4x Catcher
4x Switch
1x Eviolite
2x Giant Cape
2x Rescue Scarf
1x Computer Search
=35

Energy:
9x Fighting Energy
4x DCE
=13

Strategy:

The main point of this deck is to counter decks that are based on abilities. My local metagame is very heavy on these types of decks (concluded from watching a tournament at my local card shop, where cities were recently held). Commonly used decks include Blastoise/Keldeo EX, Rayquaza EX/Eels, Reshiram/Emboar, and Darkrai EX/Hydreigon variants. All of these are ability heavy, so this is an anti-metagame deck to counter that.

The strategy revolves around stopping decks with huge retreat costs, so it is most effective against RayEels and Darkrai EX/Hydreigon. In the example of Darkrai EX/Hydreigon, Garbodor's ability, Garbotoxin, blocks out all abilities when a Pokemon Tool is attached to it. While Garbodor nullifies Hydreigon's free retreat, gained via Darkrai EX's ability, I can catcher it on to the active spot and let Registeel EX destroy the bench while they try to maneuver Darkrai onto the active spot.

After Registeel EX spreads damage around with its Triple Laser attack, Groudon EX and Terrakion come in and play clean up crew.

Modifications:
The only change I've made from the original deck is opting to put in a Computer Search instead of a fourth Garbodor to try to preserve the strategy later in the game.

Conclusion:
That's the deck I'm using! I really appreciate all of you input and suggestions. Like I said before, I'm mainly looking for what threats or issues my deck may encounter, and how to deal with them. Of course, any other advice for a TCG noob is much appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Back