New to TCG, Requesting a Tutor

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
Hi! So, I'm new to the whole TCG thing and recently bought the Dragonite Booster Pack set (mostly for the pin) and wish to know if these cards are any good and also learn how to play competitive TCG.

From the Primal Clash pack, I got...
Weedle, Zigzagoon, Shroomish, Spheal, Mudkip, Holographic Zigzagoon, Swampert, Fresh Water Set, Weakness Policy, and Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick

And from the two Roaring Skies packs, I got...
Fletchling, Wingull, Natu, Hawlucha, Cascoon, Holographic Flechinder, Shedinja, Unfezant, Winona, and Mega Turbo
Natu, Meowth, Cascoon, Hawlucha, Binacle, Holographic Hawlucha, Articuno, Ultra ball, Flechinder, and Wide Lens

So, yeah with all those listed and my Dragonite pin on my hat, I'd like to know if any of these are good or worth anything, also would like someone to tutor me some so I can join my friends in TCG matches.

Also, I'd honestly prefer it of someone told me the rules and how to play and strategies and such in steps or something. Like, step one being the introduction to the basics, then step 2 being this and that, etc, not really the steps to each and every tiny thing. Thanks

Moved from the TCG News & Dicussion to the TCG Help & Advice since the member is a new player looking for... advice! :D

Oh, right. Thanks! Lol I've never really paid attention to the TCG forums so I didn't realize there was a place for that. Kinda silly of me, though. Thanks again

The first place you should start is checking out the various tutorials the Official Pokemon website has for TCG. I would first recommend to check out the short introductory video that Pokemon.com has on their official channel, link here. Next, I would recommend reading the rulebook to give you a better idea. Once you've done that, you could check out the more clicky tutorial, which goes in depth a bit more. However, it is slightly outdated and it can be a bit annoying. Instead, you should download the official PTCG Online emulator, which provides you with deck or so of cards that you can start the game with. Embedded into the emulator is a very nifty tutorial that should begin giving you an idea of how the game works.

TCG decks always consists of 60 cards, and contain a mixture of Energy, Trainers and Pokemon. You won't get the things you need from just a booster pack or three. You should start off by obtaining some form of preconstructed deck, if you want to play in real life. Your first option is the cheapest - a theme deck. These are the decks you'll find most easily, however they are not the most competitive. They do, however, provide you with some starting Energy, Trainers and Pokemon. I would recommend the Greninja Theme Deck, if you can find it. Your second option for preconstructed decks is the Battle Arena Kits, namely the Mewtwo-EX vs Darkrai-EX. These are decks that are much more competitive, containing many of the staple cards you'll end up using in competitive play, and are in general a better value of money.

In regards to the cards you have, any of the Trainer cards would be nice cards to add to your 60 card deck. Ultra Ball is a card used competitively, while Fresh Water Set, Winona and Weakness Policy being nice beginner cards. Maxie is also used competitively, however would not be a card you'd use at this stage. Now, the packs that you bought have an interesting mechanic named an Ancient Trait. You can read up on them in one of the Appendixes in the rule book. These Ancient Traits mean that some cards (i.e. Natu, Unfezant, Articuno, Swampert) have Ancient Trait variants and non-Ancient Trait variants. The Swampert Ancient Trait, in particular, is worth a decent amount, while the Ancient Trait Articuno is used in some decks, however there non-AT counterparts are not that spectacular.

Hope that helps!

Yeah the only ancient trait cards I have are the Natu, and yes this helps spectacularly. Thank you very much!

Back