Discussion New Rogue Decks using Ancient Origin Cards!

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, so guys, what rogue decks and combos are you feeling out with the new Ancient origin cards.

One card which was brought to my attention (by my fiancée who only plays fairy type decks) is the new whimsicott. It's attack really is something, for one fairy energy it (and I quote) Move all damage counters from 1 of your Benched Pokémon to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

So my fun rogue to start off this new format is gonna be Wailord and Whimsicott, because as you are running fairy energy, with fairy garden warlord has free retreat.

So you throw him out, he sponges up enough damage to equal or better the opposing active, then free retreat into Whimsicott for a one energy OHKO.

It would require a massive amount of near perfect plays by a well experienced player with some foresight, and it's a cheap one trick pony deck but could take a regionals or local league by surprise. But due to how few components you need to set up it could be very consistent. and turn two OHKO's are a possibility depending on your opponents plays, and a lot of people don't plan their OHKO numbers to deal with Wailord.

After all, we all have a tonne of spare Wailords in our folders now the US nationals list has lost it's suprise element.

Because nobody expects the Whimsicott inquisition (if you are too young google it).

What rogues have you got Pokébeach?

Golurk anti-meta. Hit everything for weakness. Another cool thing, but it isn't really a deck: You can use Milotic FLF (or cofagrigus PLF in expanded) to force your opponent to take a prize and then play Ace Trainer. Other decks can be Regice/Vilelume, Gourgeist/Ariados, Beautifly/FoGP and Rotom PLS/Vileplume. I really like the last one because it brings back the same strategy as VileGar and since Rotom is plasma it can get energy acceleration from colress machine and damage boost from Deoxys EX.

A Banette (ROS) and vileplume (AOR) deck. Basically the only way my opponent can evolve is though the use of wally. I run a bunch of disruption cards as well so my opponent can never attack.

Some great ideas there guys, I'm already looking at building Golurk+Eeveelutions as that seems like such a broad way to shut down people. Especially with all the fighting stadiums and strong energies go lurk can benefit from.

I like the way you think about the ace trainer, because of course it would shuffle the prize into his deck as well. That's cunning.

I hadn't even considered Rotom, but you make a great case for it.

I love nanette from RoS I built my fiancée a deck to mess about with one day and she came pretty high at a local tournament just by denying evolution, so paired with vileplume? I see that being a thing she might enjoy playing again. It's one of our favourite pokemon too, so I can definitely see me putting that together when I get bored of my giritina/vileplume deck.

I feel like this set released so much more than roaring skies did in the way of new deck types (good and bad)

I have been testing out a Regice/Milotic(FLF) lock EX deck but because of the new stage 1 non EX decks this guy needs another side attacker to counter all the Eeveelutions.

So my fun rogue to start off this new format is gonna be Wailord and Whimsicott, because as you are running fairy energy, with fairy garden warlord has free retreat.

So you throw him out, he sponges up enough damage to equal or better the opposing active, then free retreat into Whimsicott for a one energy OHKO.

It would require a massive amount of near perfect plays by a well experienced player with some foresight, and it's a cheap one trick pony deck but could take a regionals or local league by surprise. But due to how few components you need to set up it could be very consistent. and turn two OHKO's are a possibility depending on your opponents plays, and a lot of people don't plan their OHKO numbers to deal with Wailord.

After all, we all have a tonne of spare Wailords in our folders now the US nationals list has lost it's suprise element.

Because nobody expects the Whimsicott inquisition (if you are too young google it).
I was thinking of something similiar, but adding Gengar EX. He hits and switches into Wailord. Then when the time is right, instead of switching back from Wailord into Gengar, switch into Whimsicott and take all the damage off Wailord and put it on your opponents active.

I think regice has a lot of potential for decks. Hipodown did well as a stage one, but it took less energy, so I dunno maybe hipodown with eeveelutions is a better choice in high EX metas.

Gengar isn't a bad shout, but would require two types of energy to pull off, and I prefer sticking with one, especially as fairy garden is a great way to win the stadium war.

I was thinking of something similiar, but adding Gengar EX. He hits and switches into Wailord. Then when the time is right, instead of switching back from Wailord into Gengar, switch into Whimsicott and take all the damage off Wailord and put it on your opponents active.

Just gonna say that this combo works better for Damagriiigus Cofagrigus than it does with with Whimsicott. Having to run Fairy Energy and Psychic Energy makes it a little inconsistent.

OT:

I'm not gonna reveal the deck I am working on until I have figured out how to make it work (or failed to). Imma just say this so you can have fun guessing.

Fraxure.

alright! Rogue is my favorite deck style.

first off, vileplume regirock, as regirock dishes tons of damage with the fighting support, and puts pressure on the opponent, while vileplume initiates an item lock. Play an AZ, pick up vileplume, play vs seeker and other items, put the vileplum back down.(we are using broken vine space)
Then, there's sceptile/machamp ariados, as it deals tons of damage when using machamp, and is very fast when using sceptile. no matter what variant chosen, it's still very effective.
There's even quad entei raichu, which focuses on your opponents bench as well as your own. first, apply pressure with raich and skyfield. Then, play the entei, and start slowly loading it up with fire energy. once they have a good amount of benched pokemon, start using entei's attack mercilessly. You can also force them to load their bench with target whistle.
quad gyarados, which is quite simple. use dugtrio from xy to deal damage to your own benched magikarps, and after two or three turns, switch to gyarados, and unleash 180 damage constantly.

I wont mention regice, as it is overpowered anyways, and may even become tier 2
golurk has already been mentioned, so i wont go there.

there's the hilarious metagross AT deck in the following link

the porygon-Z non AT crawdaunt, which basically runs way too much disruption, and just does decent damage and slows the opponent down.

Thats all I have right now, but there are some others I left for others to discover!

The first time i saw that video i thought it was a pretty good deck. but red cards and ace trainers make it a pretty weak deck.

The first time i saw that video i thought it was a pretty good deck. but red cards and ace trainers make it a pretty weak deck.

remember when i said
"hilarious"

I didn't mean it to be good, I meant it to be an example

I'm making a Wigglytuff 98/146 and Eeveelutions deck. I'm quit fond of Jigglypuff and I've always used it in my Mega-Gardevoir deck, It's a real life saver, some times it ended up being the main attacker. Though it doesn't replace baby Xerneas, Wigglytuff's energy acceleration is more versatile. With ''Gather Energy'' I can search for any basic energy card and attach it to Eevee from Furious Fists. That way I can easily get out the right eeveelution to hit for weakness. I'm also adding Wally (ROS) and DCE to speed things up, lots of Lysandre to prevent my opponent from preparing an attacker on his or her bench, faded town to get more easily rid of Mega's, Muscle band to potentially 1 Hit K.O most pokemon. etc... etc...

Now I'm still looking for some kind of back-up attacker. Any suggestions are welcome!

BTW, It's also a lot of fun to say ''~Hocus Pinkus~'' with a poker face

Last edited by a moderator:
A Banette (ROS) and vileplume (AOR) deck. Basically the only way my opponent can evolve is though the use of wally. I run a bunch of disruption cards as well so my opponent can never attack.

A list of this will be interesting to see, but i think that is some similar to a giratina vileplume with more disruption cards like hammers, ringers, TFG, etc...

Sadly Wigglytuff's attack won't trigger Energy evolution ability.

Oops, that's too bad. That was an important aspect of the concept. Now I have to add something else like professor's letter but that's not a big deal I guess

I've been playing a Golurk deck, only really taking Jolteon with me for it because I've found Vaporeon and Flareon just don't come in handy enough to deserve a spot. Though I do regret the decision every now and then lightning is just such the powerful type out of them right now hitting ray and lugia for weakness, maybe once some better grass decks develop flareon will find it's place but I think vaporeon will be relegated since Lando is the only thing I can really think of that it will hit. the joy of Golurk though is you don't even need to hit for weakness, with a strong energy and DCE (and dimension valley in play) with a silver bangle you're hitting for 170 and can OHKO most EX's even without the weakness.

I also went back and looked through cards that are legal in expanded that could use giant plant forest and have made probably the most entertaining deck I've played in a very long time, which is Beedrill from Plasma Freeze, only using it for its first attack which reads:

G - 20+ If this Pokémon has full HP, this attack does 40 more damage, and the Defending Pokémon is now Confused and Poisoned.

switching between giant plant forest and virbank you can get beedrills into play on the first turn quite a lot, fill the bench with them and constantly switch them out when damaged with their free retreat, waiting for max potions or herbal energies. not a competitive deck really although I have taken out some top archetypes, Toad really doesnt enjoy it since with a silver bangle Beedrill gets the OHKO's. Giant Plant Forest is the only real ancient origins addition though but it is the card that makes it so much more viable and consistent, with level balls to search out all but the beedrills. looking to find room for damage swap Reuniclus or Shadow Void dusknoir though so I don't have to discard energy healing since I only run about 7 in total (with super rods to shuffle beedrill line and energy back if needs be)

hokus pinkus (or however it's spelled), can be used in an antimeta deck of some sort. Not sure what to add though...

maybe a 4-4 jigglypuff/wigglytuff line, and then a 3-3 slurpuff, add in some float stone, and maybe 2 toads.
4-2 hammers, and a good amount of lasers and virbank, you should be good to go.
run this in expanded however, as the laserbank combo is something you depend on, and you have to 3ko the typical EX.
4-3 on dce and basic fairy energy, a couple of disruption cards, and your good to go.

I think that you are right in gereral, but I am gonna keep flareon in for now as everyone near me is hyping sceptile ex decks (also maybe a good partner tech for that beedrill deck) and the local "best player" (wins about 2 out of 3 tourneys locally) is putting together a sceptile/manectric deck which go lurk should rip through in about three attacks flat.

As for wigglytuff, fairy have some great support cards even if they aren't tier 1 or 2. Maybe look at the hippodon decks that did so well in US nationals and mimic how they work? The attacks are similar, but hippowdons attack is obviously that little bit stronger because of wording, wigglytuff is much more vulnerable to retaliatory attacks after a KO or switches.

Back