New Pokken Tournament Fighter to be Revealed Next Week!

Tekken makes awesome fighting games, pokemon are awesome, pokemon already fight...how could it not be worth playing!

I miss the storylines, the quests, collecting. That makes me wanna play Pokemon. This doesn't seem to have any of that.

I miss the storylines, the quests, collecting. That makes me wanna play Pokemon. This doesn't seem to have any of that.
Pokken Tournament won't be for everyone, and if you're more interested in a deep solo campaign in a game and don't like fighting games much, I would probably say pass on Pokken Tournament. It's not trying to rival the main series; it's a spinoff and it's taking the assets which Pokemon already has and is reimagining it in a fighting style.

It's not like the Wii U is without good solo campaign games, though. This year we're getting Yooka-Laylee, Star Fox Zero and possibly Zelda U, while it already has games like Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and many others.

It's probably going to be Swampert. There is already Sceptile and Blaziken, right? It would be unfair if they left out Swampert. Think of all the Swampert fans (including me).

The majority of these Pokemon could actually function in this game very well. I could see them putting Darkrai in and giving him the cheapest moveset ever where you can put your opponent to sleep and then use your strongest attack. Hydreigon with its iconically large moveset could be interesting, and a double jab with its hands doing extra damage because its hand bite you is just a funny thought. Vanilluxe would also be hilarious, and Pokken Tournament definitely lacks a comic relief (but still usable) character, like Smash has WFT, Luigi, G&W and Duck Hunt. Groudon doesn't move very much canonically, so seeing the thing running around a field would also be a sight to behold.

You might as well just consider the above paragraph wishlisting, though, because I don't think any of the above Pokemon are getting in. I'd jsut like it if they did :p. Of what I seriously think this reveal could be, Swampert would complete the Hoenn trio, though it doesn't bring any diversity to the table, which with such a small roster of Pokemon is very important. I think that Marowak could bring something different -- powerful ranged attacks via throwing its bone, but stuck with weaker melee attacks until the bone goes back to it (a la Bonemerang). Over the course of the battle, physical damage could also possibly be seen to the skull on its head (such as a scratch or even crack) if Marowak is on the lower foot, but this could also be quite morbid. :x Sableye I could see having a very unique playstyle, being some sort of prankster Pokemon, and its Mega-Evolution could bring a very interesting mechanic as a defensive titan. On a similar note, Aggron is one of the most likely Pokemon on the list due to its overall high popularity, fitting in with the style of the game both in terms of graphics and the movesets of the other fighters so far. Heracross is also very likely due to similar reasons, and I will be surprised if we don't find one of them revealed on the 15th.

I feel like it'd be a waste not to have all kinds of Pokemon body types represented, though. We have plenty of bipeds and thanks to Suicune a quadruped, but we don't have anything like a spider or crab. Kingler, Drapion, Scolipede and Galvantula are all on the list of possible characters, and I think it would be lucrative to increase the diversity even more by including one of them. Admittedly, Scolipede's and Galvantula's lack of appendages usable for melee attacks makes it very unlikely for them to get in, but I think that both Kingler and Drapion actually have a shot here, and I will be happiest if one of those get revealed next week as opposed to just another interesting biped, despite them not being my favourite Pokemon in the games on that list.

Obviously the Hitmons are obvious choices, but I feel like if they were going to be put in the games they would have been some of the first Pokemon revealed. They're not the most popular Pokemon in the world, but they're perfect for advertising this game on logos and such. I also find it pretty difficult to believe that they would put one Hitmon in the game without the other two, because they come as a set, or at the very least Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee do. This makes me think that Hitmontop is the most likely of the three. Furthermore, I think that putting both of the Gen I Hitmons in the game would be a genuine mistake, because they would be semi-clones of each other at best; Hitmonlee can kick as fast as and to the power of Hitmonchan's punches, so for them to not be equal in terms of both power and agility would be more disappointing than anything else.

Edit: Something I've just noticed when I went back to check the tease of Sceptile for any further clues actually might have come up with something. This was the picture used in Sceptile's tease:
CYKlcZFUMAAV9Jy.jpg
Three things are different between that image and the one used in this leak. First of all, Weavile was moved to the left and Sceptile was put where Weavile is now; that doesn't matter. Second of all is naturally the text, which we already know about. Third of all is the question mark -- the glow of it here is green, whereas in this leak it's blue. Could this be a coincedence? Sure, maybe this particular leaker just like blue more than green, but considering most of this tease is copy/pasted from the last one, changing the colour of this question mark was definitely a conscious decision -- that much we know. If the colour is a deliberate tease, it would either have been referring to Sceptile's colouring or its type. Cross-reference this with the list of possible characters we've got now, and this is what I've come up with:
Colouring (not checking Dex colours, just whether dark blue features on the design noticeably): Vileplume, Heracross, Swampert, Sableye, Manectric, Latios, Luxray, Rampardos, Stoutland, Carracosta, Vanilluxe, Hydreigon. Wow, that's actually quite a lot, and Heracross is on the list, who I thought was the most likely to get in anyway.
Typing: Slowbro, Kingler, Swampert, Carracosta

I do genuinely think that it's more likely the question mark is referring to typing than the overall colouring of the Pokemon, as choosing colouring could prove problematic with future reveals with colourful designs. This means that realistically Swampert is probably the most likely, but I think that any of the other 3 in the second list could be really interesting, different, fun and also viable.
Honestly, I think it will be swamp wet, due to it being the only starter left out of the hoen trio, but like you said there is no "comic relief" so I think if slowbro is included, he will serve as that comic character, and he even has a mega evolution, so IMO, it would be a mistake not to include slowbro

Still waiting for my Infernape, but I want Tyranitar, Marowak, Rampardos or HERACROSS. Heracross needs some love, and if it is Swampert I will cry.

Gotta be Hawlucha if they can get away with a Pikachu Libre....

But fingers crossed really for Alakazam!

I think Pancham will join the club! :D
Other options can be: Swampert [ Because Sceptile and Blaziken is already revealed, it wouldn't be fear for Swampert then if he won't get a place in this game! ]

Blastoise or Venusaur [ same rule as above but then with Charizard... ]

But Hawlucha would be obvious in this game... every fighting type actually!? ;)

Unpopular opinion: this game is the best Pokemon game to come out of Japan in over a decade.

I can't emphasize enough how much I'm loving having something new. Pokemon has devolved into another series where the same formula is repeated almost year after year with little new and impactful decisions and design changes. I honestly can't stand playing the main series anymore because it legitimately feels like I'm playing the same game six, or more, times over. It's getting to be as stale as moldy bread, almost like it's Nintendo's version of CoD.

As for the fighter, it's gotta be Swampert. Nothing else makes that much sense. I would also be cool with Kangaskhan or Hitmontop. I have a source that has told me that Kangaskhan and Hitmontop would be included in the game, so I'm hoping to test his claims. He was so far correct about Sceptile.

I'd assume it's gonna be Swampert, given we've got Sceptile and Blaziken.

However, seeing Luxray or Galvantula fighting would be awesome :D

Unpopular opinion: this game is the best Pokemon game to come out of Japan in over a decade.

I can't emphasize enough how much I'm loving having something new. Pokemon has devolved into another series where the same formula is repeated almost year after year with little new and impactful decisions and design changes. I honestly can't stand playing the main series anymore because it legitimately feels like I'm playing the same game six, or more, times over. It's getting to be as stale as moldy bread, almost like it's Nintendo's version of CoD.

As for the fighter, it's gotta be Swampert. Nothing else makes that much sense. I would also be cool with Kangaskhan or Hitmontop. I have a source that has told me that Kangaskhan and Hitmontop would be included in the game, so I'm hoping to test his claims. He was so far correct about Sceptile.

Thats a pretty bold and interesting statement. Did you play the game at the arcades yet? What elements did you find particulary outstanding?

Regarding the new fighter, I think Swampert is a pretty safe bet. Check out the glow around the ? sign and the hint letter. It's blue and orange respectively. The Sceptile teaser pic had green and red instead. So yeah, you can put me on the Hoenn trio hype train lol

It would be cool to see a gen 7 poke but I'm just guessing it'll be someone else

but the fact that Suicune is in means that it could literally be anyone. I'm not gonna even bother trying to guess.

I thought I would add this here. Recently, the Staff involved with Pokemon were asked who they think would be in the game. A poll was taken

"50 staff members attempted to predict the Pokemon and their reactions were polled after knowing the result. Here are the results of that:

>– My prediction is correct! I’m really happy! – 1
>– My prediction missed, but I’m still glad – 13
>– My prediction missed, I’m salty – 31
>– I’m actually perplexed, so I can’t answer – 5"

This tells me one thing. At least 31 people were wrong and based on the roster right now, Swampert seems like the staff choice, and a real obvious one too. This pretty much confirms for me it would be the character revealed, though this means nothing. Its seems with both Sceptile and Blaziken in the game, it makes sense that Swampert would be the go to in this case.

Like @Professor Palutena , my source also tells me that the Pokemon may be Hitmontop and two others. He also made special mention of Kangaskhan since its the creators favorite Pokemon.

We don't know whether the staff was given the hint letter or not though. Or maybe they were just tired of starters getting into the roster all this time and were hoping for something else.

Anyway, I would be down for Kanga and Hitmontop, but what is this source you're citing exactly?

We don't know whether the staff was given the hint letter or not though. Or maybe they were just tired of starters getting into the roster all this time and were hoping for something else.

Anyway, I would be down for Kanga and Hitmontop, but what is this source you're citing exactly?

He told me many things, including what was planned for Pokken Tournament and Pokemon as a whole this year. I had a 5 hour skype call with him.

Mostly we talked about who is being considered, talked about or rumored in the office. He works for TPCi and isn't a developer.

Back