New Pokemon ex and More Illustration Rares Revealed from “Ancient Roar” and “Future Flash!”

Vanilluxe seems to be a hard Gardi counter, and being a water stage 2 ain't that bad since we have irida, I just wish they'd stop giving all these good abilities to water, lightning and psychic pokemon. Show grass some love, I can't wait for ogrepons debut. But knowing tpci, they'll make the water ogrepon busted, and all the others something lame.
Water and Psychic ftw! They only have like 9 Meta Decks in this format! They are underrepresented and need more support!

Water and Psychic ftw! They only have like 9 Meta Decks in this format! They are underrepresented and need more support!
Theres only 1 "meta" water deck and 2 "meta" psychic decks but you can argue there are more "viable" ones.

Vannilux isn't even a good card. Literally all types get "support" if you think bad cards constitute "support".

There's absolutely no chance a specific deck "counter" that requires a minimum of 3 cards and two turns to execute is good.

Last edited:
And so? Garde has Zacian. Zacian can sweep with 4 energy. Easily counterable ability. Also, as what the cringe boi said on X, "It's weak to Iron Hands." As long as Hands got 4 energy, it'll be a Turn 2 sweep.

Bounsweet/Steenee/Tsareena ex (Ice) - works with Spirit Mask as a pseudo-immunity but not enough for quick KOs as it needs more help. 2/2/4

Vannilite/Vannilish/Vanniluxe - ability that can be easily countered. 3/3/2

Toxel/Toxtricity ex (Ground) - a way to deal with Hands. 3/3-4

Nacli/Naclstack/Garganacl - Stage 2, don't like it. Coalossal situation. Fighting types still don't have Energy acceleration. 3/3/3

Spinda - barely situational, barely even see success. 2

Porygon/Porygon2/Porygon-Z - what for? You still can't hit weakness. It takes 8 to KO a Basic ex, which is embarassing considering your bulk. 2/2/2-3
Lol guy acts like he's a certified expert on here with his "ratings" and has to come in to give his "expertise" every time. these cards aren't good but leave it up to the real experts instead of some guy who sits behind his pc and thinks all of a sudden he's a top tier player lmao

Lol guy acts like he's a certified expert on here with his "ratings" and has to come in to give his "expertise" every time. these cards aren't good but leave it up to the real experts instead of some guy who sits behind his pc and thinks all of a sudden he's a top tier player lmao
Speaking as someone who studies the game and pays close attention to it without actually playing the game (otherwise known in some cultures as a fan or a spectator)... shush, please. PC sitters are allowed to exist and give their opinions based on research, doesn't matter if they play the game or not.

No, no, no. Fighting types still don't have good Energy Acceleration. Do not bring up a basic that ends your turn and a Stage 2, as a form of excuse!!
That was my point. I didn't say they were good. I guess I worded it weird and didn't come right out and say it but that being the only Energy acceleration is bad! They gave us a Claydol that's like dynamotor Flaaffy but of wait there a catch it didn't work if you've used a Supporter. Now they're like hey here's one that has Dynamotor and it breaks you but it's a stage 2. My point was there still isn't good acceleration and they hate Fighting type

Both Grass and Metal has had decent, if not strong, energy accelerants in the form of Metal Links Bronzong, Magnetic Circuit Magnezone, Voltage Beat Rillaboom (and Strong Charge Vikavolt), etc. Currently they have Giga Magnet Magnezone and Spring Bloom Cherrim too, though definitely not as impactful as Baxcalibur right now.

The types has phases where it goes up and down in the bar of energy acceleration, but Fighting is the only one that has been stuck at the bottom.

edit: On that note, I strongly believe they cant print a Metal Rain Dance as long as Dialga VStar is in rotation. God knows the horror it can conjure...
I meant the types getting good cards as a whole not just Energy acceleration. Metal has had it better than the other 2 i was wrong about that but Grass and Fighting overall get very little good cards. There's no Grass Pokémon that are meta right now even with it being Charizard ex's weakness. Grass overall gets forgotten. Fighting has it even worse they just blatantly don't care about it and never give it good cards. Sure Urshifu had its time of being really good but that isn't really Fighting support that was Rapid Strike. When was the last time a Fighting Pokémon was big in the meta? What's the best Fighting support in recent history? Gutsy Pickaxe? They should give Grass and Fighting more love instead of giving Water and Psychic all the love. The types should be somewhat balanced between themselves.

Theres only 1 "meta" water deck and 2 "meta" psychic decks but you can argue there are more "viable" ones.

Vannilux isn't even a good card. Literally all types get "support" if you think bad cards constitute "support".

There's absolutely no chance a specific deck "counter" that requires a minimum of 3 cards and two turns to execute is good.
You can't deny that Water and Psychic get a lot of love. Baxcalibur, Melony, Irida I could go on and on. Mew Vmax, Mew ex, Xatu from Paradox Rift. They both get lots of good support and Pokémon while other types tend to get forgotten. Rapid Strike Urshifu was the best Fighting Pokémon we've gotten in awhile and Water type is so much better that the card has to run off Water Energy as a Fighting type for it to work. Don't act like Water and Psychic aren't the favorites. Lightening is right there with them.

Vanilluxe seems to be a hard Gardi counter, and being a water stage 2 ain't that bad since we have irida
So.... what deck is going to go out of its way to play a stage 2 line specifically to deal with Gardevoir? Sounds like a job for an easier-to-include tech. Playing a 1-0-1 line in a deck that has Rare Candy doesn't sound too helpful at pushing plays forward, and playing this line in a deck that doesn't naturally include rare candy sounds like poor design of a deck.

On the topic of Tsareena ex, the most direct ways to get the 30 chip damage needed are:

1. Sneasler + Poison engine (Sneasler + Garbodor, Sneasler + Clodsire ex, Sneasler + Brute Bonnet + Ancient Booster Energy Capsule)
2. Vengeful Punch
3. Drapion VStar
4. Weepinbell (Poison + Burn)

No method is gonna really be the best overall. Each method other than Vengeful punch involves the setup of a stage 1, or multiple pokemon in Sneasler's case . Vengeful punch's problem is that it gives the opponent a turn to pick a new pokemon to put to the frontline to deal with the Tsareena. You are, sometimes literally, picking your poison and how you want your deck to be slightly unreliable.

Compare that to the other pokemon, Alolan Raticate. Raticate needing only 10 chip damage offers a lot more freedom and consistency in how it wants to dish out the knockouts. Hawlucha works, Radiant Alakazam is easier to map out, Medicham V is devastating with it, and you don't need specific or multiple pokemon for poison.

I think that some will try Tsareena ex and go "Why am I playing this over Alolan Raticate?"

I don't find much to be interested in the rest of the cards.
Garganacl seems like prime pick for GLC, but that ain't cutting it in standard.
Porygon-Z's damage seems really low for how you need to flip a coin and set up a stage 2, not to mention you cannot attach special energy which would make it way more interesting a pick.
Spinda is just another Ambipom, and coin flips for immunity aren't that interesting.
Toxtricity ex just sucks.

Lots of cool reveals with good/interesting effects, but I kinda don't expect any of them to be competitive. The one with the best chance is Vanilluxe to make things harder for Gardy, but I don't think it could be considered a "hard counter" and it's obviously a significant investment. Maybe it could be played in Chien-Pao because it already plays Candy and Irida, but I dunno if it's worth it. Gorgeous illustration rares as always.

And here I was thinking I could budget for the cards I want this time around xD, this really is chalk and cheese compared to the likes of Obsidian Flames.

So Toxtricity is just a worse Raichu V right? It's stage 1, it's not Lightening type, it's got higher base damage but doesn't have the high damage potential of Raichu. 270 isn't hitting the key numbers without being boosted. I don't see this being played at and just kind of wonder why make it?

Speaking as someone who studies the game and pays close attention to it without actually playing the game (otherwise known in some cultures as a fan or a spectator)... shush, please. PC sitters are allowed to exist and give their opinions based on research, doesn't matter if they play the game or not.
Right and do fans of football who study highlights on YouTube and attend games make them have valid observations? Not always. This guy always comments on every new reveal as if he’s an expert when he’s clearly not. Man just wants clout and to come across as a reputable guy with a terrible ego. Nice try.

They need to save some for later sets, maybe we'll get it in Shiny Treasure already.
I feel like Flutter Mane and Iron Thorns might get ex's in Paradox Rift, it just seems like they would be out of place in Shiny Treasure.
However, I am curious about why Great Tusk and Iron Treads ex didn't have the Ancient and Future stamps. They could have waited to Paradox Rift for those, replace them with Lucario and Ampharos ex.

Back