Help New Player Starting Out Fresh in the New Standard Rotation

Quon

Aspiring Trainer
Hey folks.

Im kind of a new player starting out in the TCG in the physical form at least, i used to play a while back and while this account isnt new by any stretch of the imagination i still feel "New" to the game since i havent really played at all with physical cards (only online some years ago)

Now i need some help from you guys on how to advance from the small cards that i figured would help me get somewhere along the road to a deck.
These are the cards that i have currently that i've bought to have a decent shell
Starting of with somewhat of a shell to a Gardevoir GX deck

4x Ralts
3x Kirlia
2x Gardevoir GX
2x Tapu Lele GX
1x Diancie
1x Alolan Vulpix

2x Field Blower
3x Rare Candy
3x Guzma
3x Choice Band
2x Rescue Stretcher
4x N
1x Super Rod
4x Ultra Ball
4x Professor Sycamore
1x Bridgett

4x Double Colorless Energy
9x Fairy Energy

Obviously the above is lacking quite a few cards, im guessing i need to fill in an additional Gardevoir GX and a Gallade, which is fine, but then what? I cant for the life of me find Remoraid/Octillery line and looking for something to maybe help?

Aside from that i do have "staple" trainers in aqua patch, enhanced hammer, escape rope and max potion.
I only have cards from Burning Shadows and Guardian Rising.

I also have access to 2x Metagross GX if maybe i should start with that first ? I can probally get a hold of 2 more easily
But impossible to find right now Remoraid/Octillery and Gallade as well , not to mention Float stone.

Looking for input and apologies for making this a wall of text. Just want to get at least 1 deck done so i can work with that moving forward and join you guys in playing this lovely game

Zoroark GX releasing in Shining Legends on October 6th is arguably just as useful of a draw supporter as Octillery. I would wait for that to come out if you can't find Octillery since it'll be all over the place when it first releases. Its draw ability is discard 1 card to draw 2, so you're never limited by your hand size, but does have the flaw of not being able to save you (as much) from 1-2 prize Ns, and you can draw more than 2 cards from Octillery fairly often. It's best used in a deck that benefits from discarding cards, like Darkrai, but it's still not a bad splashable card since it can attack for just a double colorless for up to 120 damage based on your bench size as well.

I would say that Metagross GX is likely cheaper to finish than Gardevoir and they do have a lot of shared cards as they are both stage 2 decks. If you're looking for the cheaper deck go for Metagross GX. Personally, I have more fun with Gardevoir GX.

If you want a deck done, I would trade away those Metagross for packs, and trade away there uneeded stuff. Once you have it fully built, win some tournaments; and trade the packs you gain.

If you want a deck done, I would trade away those Metagross for packs, and trade away there uneeded stuff. Once you have it fully built, win some tournaments; and trade the packs you gain.

Feels quite pointless trading away cards i just got. I'm not trading away anything i got. If anything i am building up. I have the money to get said cards. But i was wondering if Metagross GX deck would be easier to get since it prolly doesnt need remo/oct?

Zoroark GX releasing in Shining Legends on October 6th is arguably just as useful of a draw supporter as Octillery. I would wait for that to come out if you can't find Octillery since it'll be all over the place when it first releases. Its draw ability is discard 1 card to draw 2, so you're never limited by your hand size, but does have the flaw of not being able to save you (as much) from 1-2 prize Ns, and you can draw more than 2 cards from Octillery fairly often. It's best used in a deck that benefits from discarding cards, like Darkrai, but it's still not a bad splashable card since it can attack for just a double colorless for up to 120 damage based on your bench size as well.

I would say that Metagross GX is likely cheaper to finish than Gardevoir and they do have a lot of shared cards as they are both stage 2 decks. If you're looking for the cheaper deck go for Metagross GX. Personally, I have more fun with Gardevoir GX.

Would still need help with a list for both of them :\

I'd build a Metagross GX deck. You only need 2 more Metagross, and they are cheap. For a decklist, just look in the Deck Garage thread. The skeleton of most Metagross decks is:
4-3-4 Metagross GX
2 Tapu Lele
2 Alolan Vulpix GRI
So if you have Lele already, you need just a few cheap cards.

Feels quite pointless trading away cards i just got. I'm not trading away anything i got. If anything i am building up. I have the money to get said cards. But i was wondering if Metagross GX deck would be easier to get since it prolly doesnt need remo/oct?

OK thats fine, and no Metagross does not need Octillery.

You could always use Oranguru until you get Octillery. I ran one Oranguru in my Gardevoir deck for a bit before switching back to Octillery. It doesn't have the same draw power as Octillery, but it does have the benefit of being a Basic Pokémon so it's easier to get out, takes up less deck space, and can be a decent fighter to knock out those Luminous Barrier Alolan Ninetales which would otherwise wall you if you don't have Gallade.

I think Metagross is a great deck though and would definitely be easier to finish first. I won a tournament online with it yesterday and got 6 packs. Maybe build that first, win some tourney to get packs, and then use those packs for Gardevoir pieces.

Gallade blister packs are selling now at Walmart for about 7 dollars, so I'd check there! I'm also trying to build a Gardevoir deck, and that's where I got mine. As for Octillery and Float Stones, there's always eBay. I'd also add an Acerola if you have one, it helps to avoid knock outs and is considered a staple in most decks.

Gallade blister packs are selling now at Walmart for about 7 dollars, so I'd check there! I'm also trying to build a Gardevoir deck, and that's where I got mine. As for Octillery and Float Stones, there's always eBay. I'd also add an Acerola if you have one, it helps to avoid knock outs and is considered a staple in most decks.

Cant get those in Sweden so sadly not an option atm. Seems im probally going to go with a Metagross GX version to start off with. As it doesnt require Octillery (or Oranguru)

Back