New Lucario and Riolu from ‘Star Birth!’

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
And so the daily card reveals begin! Riolu and Lucario from S9 Star Birth were just revealed. The set will release in Japan on January 14th. We will then get the set as Brilliant Stars on February 25th. Thanks goes to Bangiras for the translations!
Riolu – Fighting – HP60
Basic Pokemon
[F][F] Low Kick: 50 damage.
Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Lucario – Fighting – HP120
Stage 1 – Evolves from Riolu
Ability: Roaring Resolve
Once during your turn, you...

Continue reading...

Hmm, this reminds me of something, but I just can't remember.... XD
Sandaconda BST? It discards energy for a big attack, though with Lucario you have to attach it directly while Sandaconda just mills. The lack of support on that front leaves only Bea, which if you're discarding the top cards in the deck anyway, Sandaconda's a more direct approach of the same gameplan. Lucario could pair fine with Primeape BST since it damages itself, but that's basically all it has going for it over the sand cannon.

I have one word for you: Charizard (although I guess Sandaconda is similar as well)

Edit: Yeah, I guess Lucario could pair with Primeape, but then again, Lucario isn't single strike so there's not much synergy.

Last edited:
Riolu was confirmed by the leaks but we finally see the Lucario. I can remove the asterisk on my set list.

Riolu/Lucario - same thing as TEU Charizard, but don't matter the 100 HP after ability usage, because ignoring the weakness, you can KO a Crobat for 3 energy. The advantage was Lucario BRS is faster than Charizard TEU. Although F accel we got is crapz. 3/4

If you liked TEU Charizard then you will definitely love this lucario! It's just better being a stage 1. Getting 2 or 3 Lucario out in one turn would be huge!

Hmm, this reminds me of something, but I just can't remember.... XD
Honestly this reminds me of Smash Bros.'s Lucario: Charging up the Aura Sphere (in PTCG's case, attaching fighting energies), then damage/percent respectively is built depending on how much you charged. The Lucario in the artwork even has the exact stance he does when charging Aura Sphere in that game. Sounds like a stretch but that sounds amazing if it was actually inspired by that.

Or you know, TEU Charizard.

Friendly reminder that this Lucario isn't a 100% copy of TEU Charizard.
In fact,Charizard's Roaring Resolve says to search for two Energies,while Lucario's says to search only one.

Last edited:
Just did the math and if you discard 4 Strong Fighting Energy, and have a benched Diancie prism star and 4 benched Regirock EX, this lucario can do 390 damage in expanded, and that's not including the Basic Fighting energy you can get after turn one.

This thing is INSANE. It's far beyond time Lucario gets a good card.

Except Tsareena and Volcarona do the same thing and even better without requiring you to evolve a frail basic. Extremely high damage bursts in expanded are par of the course now. Also how are you exactly planning to attach so many Strong Fighting Energy in a single Lucario? The card is just mediocre.

Except Tsareena and Volcarona do the same thing and even better without requiring you to evolve a frail basic. Extremely high damage bursts in expanded are par of the course now. Also how are you exactly planning to attach so many Strong Fighting Energy in a single Lucario? The card is just mediocre.
1. Volcarona???? Volcarona V? You DARE mention that pathetic card here? That's absurd.
2. Tsareena is a stage 2 with almost no way to boost its damage. There are at least 5 ways to boost this Lucario's damage and that's just because it's a fighting type, you can still put a Choice or Muscle Band on it.
3. I don't HAVE to attach that many strong energy you dingbat. It literally has an energy acceleration ability.

I still see no argument against this card being good.

1. Volcarona???? Volcarona V? You DARE mention that pathetic card here? That's absurd.
Rona can do the same as Lucario in expanded, except on turn 1 instead of 2, and yes without evolving a frail basic
2. Tsareena is a stage 2 with almost no way to boost its damage. There are at least 5 ways to boost this Lucario's damage and that's just because it's a fighting type, you can still put a Choice or Muscle Band on it.
Tsareena V....
3. I don't HAVE to attach that many strong energy you dingbat. It literally has an energy acceleration ability.
It's just one extra energy per turn nbd, and Rona and Tsareena don't even need acceleration. Lucario isn't bad, but at the same time it's far from being the good card Lucario deserves

Rona can do the same as Lucario in expanded, except on turn 1 instead of 2, and yes without evolving a frail basic

Tsareena V....

It's just one extra energy per turn nbd, and Rona and Tsareena don't even need acceleration. Lucario isn't bad, but at the same time it's far from being the good card Lucario deserves
Still haven't brought up a valid point. Volca and Reena v are, at the end of the day, not good options in general. Tsareena has to discard benched Pokemon which, in case you didn't know, takes a while to re-do. Revive, rescue stretcher, brock's grit and other cards along this vein are nowhere near as viable options as energy retrieval or fisherman for Pokemon that discard energy. That's literally not up for debate. Sure, Tsareena V has Sky Field but so does every deck in expanded but without having to discard benched Pokemon. As for Volcarona v- as I said, even bringing that thing up immediately disqualifies your argument because it's just downright awful. Sorry. You know, I've noticed something about this situation: people are taking everything far too literally and only looking at the surface level. At the end of the day Lucario is a wonderful stage 1, fighting type attacker and that is INFINITELY cooler and more interesting than a mediocre v that nobody plays. Besides I'm pretty sure nobody here but me has played PTCGO because ever since Roaring Resolve Charizard was released noobs have been buying the deck and just playing expanded (standard when it was legal) with it and doing just fine. I still see a new account use it every once in a while and if you aren't using a busted deck or a water type deck, you run the risk of actually getting your ass beat. Now imagine that but as a fighting type stage 1.

Case closed.

Still haven't brought up a valid point. Volca and Reena v are, at the end of the day, not good options in general. Tsareena has to discard benched Pokemon which, in case you didn't know, takes a while to re-do. Revive, rescue stretcher, brock's grit and other cards along this vein are nowhere near as viable options as energy retrieval or fisherman for Pokemon that discard energy. That's literally not up for debate. Sure, Tsareena V has Sky Field but so does every deck in expanded but without having to discard benched Pokemon.
You seem to have forgotten that Giratina LOT and Exeggcute PLF exist.

I'm beginning to get tired of cards that are obviously extremely derivative of cards from the last format. I wish they had at least made the Ability and attack names more different. Oh, well, it's pretty cool, I guess.

Back