New Krookodile-EX Promo [4/24]

So uh
Foul Play Coin
This is absurd.
This makes so many cards so much more playable now if this stacks with Victini. Mega Kangaskhan, Liepard, Torterra, Tauros, even Black Kyurem EX LTR, ChillMAX Vanilluxe, etc. all use this really well. With Victini, you could even use it with things like Umbreon DEX, Beedrill XY, Manaphy, or Lapras XY. Or Malamar, depending on how rulings turn out,

Puff-Sun said:
So uh
Foul Play Coin
This is absurd.
This makes so many cards so much more playable now if this stacks with Victini. Mega Kangaskhan, Liepard, Torterra, Tauros, even Black Kyurem EX LTR, ChillMAX Vanilluxe, etc. all use this really well. With Victini, you could even use it with things like Umbreon DEX, Beedrill XY, Manaphy, or Lapras XY. Or Malamar, depending on how rulings turn out,

specifically says that it doesnt stack

You can only use an effect from a card that re-flips coins once per turn

so I have to use fliptini to use this card :p

The Krookodile EX looks very nice, despite the image being low quality. It's too bad we can't quite tell what the attacks do or how much HP it has. It looks like it says 180HP to me, but that's just me. Hopefully the attacks do decent damage or have good side effects. I imagine that one may have something to do with coin flips, seeing as it comes with the Foul Play Coin. Both would be nice though. Providing it's good for competitive, it could very well squeeze its way into one of the several Darkness decks out there right now.

Foul Play coin is very interesting. I doubt that I'll use it, since I tend to stay away from a majority of the luck based cards, but maybe I'll give it a shot. It could possibly work well with the Charizard EX from Flashfire, in the event that the coin flip for the energy acceleration winds up as tails. The only downside would be that if you plan to evolve it to Mega Charizard Y, you can't attach the Protect Cube.

KarpyKarp said:
Puff-Sun said:
So uh
Foul Play Coin
This is absurd.

"You can only use an effect from a card that re-flips coins once per turn."

Darn it. And here I thought it said "You can only use an effect from this card that re-flips coins once per turn." Guess they do know what they're doing for the most part.

Except when it comes to choosing which sub-Pokémon get to be EXs. So far Skarmory, Emolga, Toxicroak and Magnezone are pretty odd choices. Emolga being the worst. Krookodile EX is probably the coolest non legendary EX so far but still waiting for full art starter EXs that aren't from gen 1.

It looks like the second attack on Krookodile does 120 for DDCC (probably with some small drawback).

Fliptini in tool form. That should be interesting, keeping the flip mechanic alive when all of Black and White rotates.

KarpyKarp said:
Puff-Sun said:
So uh
Foul Play Coin
This is absurd.

I know and that is what hurt the card! If it could be used with Victini, then maybe as a way to balance the card out, discard it after you used it, then it would be a legit idea.

Oh. Look. Another Dark type EX. Wow.

I'm only waiting for a Dragonite EX, I could die for that!

Krookodile EX at least is an interesting concept, but as usual, makes me feel hungry.

On other message boards I've made it clear that it makes me think of Cookie Crisp cereal. >.> Without anything concrete about it otherwise, I am loathe to speculate on its usefulness to the format; such speculation would be suspect anyway given my status as a watcher from the sidelines, though I will add that this the strong Darkness-Type support we have (unless this card's release is delayed long enough to lose some of that support) gives it a legitimate chance of being adequate, and a small (but not insignificant chance) of being "good".

superman said:
KarpyKarp said:

I know and that is what hurt the card! If it could be used with Victini, then maybe as a way to balance the card out, discard it after you used it, then it would be a legit idea.

Underscoring that the coin toss mechanic is rarely used well in Pokémon, as a game already beholden to luck in terms of what is Prized, what is in your opening hand, and the results of any one draw (deck construction and reading the metagame are more a matter of skill), Foul Play Coin is underpowered unless I've missed some specific combos.

The most important thing to remember is that it is a Pokémon Tool, and that has three major drawbacks right now:
  1. If you play this, you can't use another Tool like Muscle Band.
  2. Tools are discarded when a Pokémon is KOed, and the game is still about OHKOs and 2HKOs.
  3. Surprise Megaphone will be here even if Tool Scrapper were to rotate out.
So the lifespan of any Pokémon Tool can be as short as "until your opponent's turn", though at least it does cost them a resource and most decks won't be maxing out on Tool discarding options (other than brute force). Foul Play Coin is helped - as it only affects attacks - you can try to hold onto it until you are about to use an attack that requires coin flips. Note that I would much rather it also worked on Abilities (a few cards would be scary with it, but no worse than what we currently deal and probably not as potent); I just mean that I can't think of any attack where you flip coins on your opponent's turn (and thus Tool Scrapper/Surprise Megaphone could discard Foul Play Coin before you had a chance to use the effect). I also keep saying "chance" because you never know if you'll need to re-flip.

If there is a deck that needs to shut down Abilities (so Fliptini is out) or that can afford a Pokémon Tool but not a Bench slot or we are just looking to the future (after Fliptini rotates), it is certainly better to have it than not, barring some ridiculous future combo: I have little faith in card R&D to not break something, I just don't think that this will be it. I would love to have had the card either guarantee one "heads" (no more, no less); that means that any time you don't flip all "heads", it was useful (and for most flippy attackers would be akin to a Muscle Band). Unfortunately we have a few "flip until tails" attacks that are too inexpensive to simply have "treat all coin flip results as 'heads'" (barring a horrible cost that would just as likely ruin it as balance it out), and that assumes no other problems arise from "infinite damage".

TL;DR: Some hope for Krookodile EX but Foul Play Coin is definitely underpowered for a format with some amazing Pokémon Tools plus easy to use/run Tool-hate.

Back