Discussion New Energy Options?

Emskas

Aspiring Trainer
Due to Blacksmith/Torch Combo and the Bronzong engine being rotated soon, I was wondering if there was any more decent energy engines left.

Why does this come up?

There have been a ton of multi-energy attackers such a Lugia break coming out, and they're being rendered useless next season due to rotation. I want to play one of these big attackers, but if the engines are being rotated, I really can't. It doesn't matter what type of energy the engines can get back, just as long as they are as good as the ones we currently have.

TSweet

Aspiring Trainer
Magnezone and carbink break can both fuel big attacker's pretty fast and will still be around.

I have a feeling Magnezone will become the preferred method after battle compressor rotates out due to filling a discard pile not being so easy.

Clemont is available to help fish out energies for attaching and energy pouch can save em for next attacker or fisherman can get em back either way.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
So it's been confirmed, PC on next year?

Though Bronzong might be spared because it's been printed as a promo.

Otaku

The wise fool?
One also should be careful about trying to predict the rotation. To give you an idea:

• Four sets rotated for the Rocket-On (2001 to 2002) Format - Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Base Set 2
  • Three sets rotated for the Neo-on or Neon (2002 to 2003) Format - Team Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge
  • Five sets rotated for the E-card On or Eon (2003 to 2004) Format - Neo Genesis, Neo Discovery, Neo Revelation, Neo Destiny, Legendary Collection
  • Three sets rotated for the RS-On (2004 to 2005) Format - Expedition, Aquapolis, Skyridge
  • Four sets rotated for the HL-On (2005 to 2006) Format - EX: Ruby & Sapphire, EX: Sandstorm, EX: Dragons, EX: Team Magma vs Team Aqua
  • Three sets rotated for the DX-On (2006 to 2007) Format - EX: Hidden Legends, EX: FireRed & LeafGreen, EX: Team Rocket Returns
  • Five sets were rotated for the HP-On (2007 to 2008) Format - EX: Deoxys, EX: Emerald, EX: Unseen Forces, EX: Delta Species, EX: Legend Maker
  • Four sets were rotated for the first DP-On (2008 to 2009) Format - EX: Holon Phantoms, EX: Crystal Guardians, EX: Dragon Frontiers, EX: Power Keepers
  • Zero sets were rotated for the second DP-On (2009-2010) Format - This is the only time this has happened since set rotation began.
  • Four sets were rotated for the MD-On (2010-2011) Format - Diamond & Pearl, DP: Mysterious Treasures, DP: Secret Wonders, DP: Great Encounters
  • Seven sets were rotated for the HS-On (2011-2012) Format - DP: Majestic Dawn, DP: Legends Awakened, DP: Stormfront, Platinum, PL: Rising Rivals, PL: Supreme Victors, PL: Arceus
  • Five sets were rotated for the BW-On (2012-2013) Format - HearGold/SoulSilver, HS: Unleashed, HS: Undaunted, HS: Triumphant, Call of Legends
  • Three sets were rotated for the NXD-On (2013-2014) Format - Black & White, BW: Emerging Powers, BW: Noble Victories
  • Three sets were rotated for the BCR-On (2014-2015) Format - BW: Next Destinies, BW: Dark Explorers, BW: Dragons Exalted
  • Five sets were rotated out for the XY-On (2015-2016) Format - BW: Boundaries Crossed, BW: Plasma Storm, BW: Plasma Freeze, BW: Plasma Blast, Legendary Treasures
Obviously I did not list promo cards or miniature sets.

While other circumstances matter, this does suggest things can vary quite a bit. As few as no sets is possible, as many as seven is not unprecedented. The average is a little under four, with four being the middle value as well, and most common is three sets.

Max Elixir may become more commons - one time use and for better or worse an Item. Evolutions that are not Restored Pokémon or entering play via Archie's Ace in the Hole/Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick would just have to use it on their Basic Stage.

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
One also should be careful about trying to predict the rotation. To give you an idea:

• Four sets rotated for the Rocket-On (2001 to 2002) Format - Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Base Set 2
  • Three sets rotated for the Neo-on or Neon (2002 to 2003) Format - Team Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge
  • Five sets rotated for the E-card On or Eon (2003 to 2004) Format - Neo Genesis, Neo Discovery, Neo Revelation, Neo Destiny, Legendary Collection
  • Three sets rotated for the RS-On (2004 to 2005) Format - Expedition, Aquapolis, Skyridge
  • Four sets rotated for the HL-On (2005 to 2006) Format - EX: Ruby & Sapphire, EX: Sandstorm, EX: Dragons, EX: Team Magma vs Team Aqua
  • Three sets rotated for the DX-On (2006 to 2007) Format - EX: Hidden Legends, EX: FireRed & LeafGreen, EX: Team Rocket Returns
  • Five sets were rotated for the HP-On (2007 to 2008) Format - EX: Deoxys, EX: Emerald, EX: Unseen Forces, EX: Delta Species, EX: Legend Maker
  • Four sets were rotated for the first DP-On (2008 to 2009) Format - EX: Holon Phantoms, EX: Crystal Guardians, EX: Dragon Frontiers, EX: Power Keepers
  • Zero sets were rotated for the second DP-On (2009-2010) Format - This is the only time this has happened since set rotation began.
  • Four sets were rotated for the MD-On (2010-2011) Format - Diamond & Pearl, DP: Mysterious Treasures, DP: Secret Wonders, DP: Great Encounters
  • Seven sets were rotated for the HS-On (2011-2012) Format - DP: Majestic Dawn, DP: Legends Awakened, DP: Stormfront, Platinum, PL: Rising Rivals, PL: Supreme Victors, PL: Arceus
  • Five sets were rotated for the BW-On (2012-2013) Format - HearGold/SoulSilver, HS: Unleashed, HS: Undaunted, HS: Triumphant, Call of Legends
  • Three sets were rotated for the NXD-On (2013-2014) Format - Black & White, BW: Emerging Powers, BW: Noble Victories
  • Three sets were rotated for the BCR-On (2014-2015) Format - BW: Next Destinies, BW: Dark Explorers, BW: Dragons Exalted
  • Five sets were rotated out for the XY-On (2015-2016) Format - BW: Boundaries Crossed, BW: Plasma Storm, BW: Plasma Freeze, BW: Plasma Blast, Legendary Treasures
Obviously I did not list promo cards or miniature sets.

While other circumstances matter, this does suggest things can vary quite a bit. As few as no sets is possible, as many as seven is not unprecedented. The average is a little under four, with four being the middle value as well, and most common is three sets.

Max Elixir may become more commons - one time use and for better or worse an Item. Evolutions that are not Restored Pokémon or entering play via Archie's Ace in the Hole/Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick would just have to use it on their Basic Stage.

And even if sets are getting rotated, there's no guarantee that Standard will be the format of choice for Regional events by next year. For all we know, we could be doing Expanded all over again, where cards like the one listed in the OP will still be considered legal.

Otaku

The wise fool?
And even if sets are getting rotated, there's no guarantee that Standard will be the format of choice for Regional events by next year. For all we know, we could be doing Expanded all over again, where cards like the one listed in the OP will still be considered legal.

Yes, Expanded has no precdence! It makes no sense for it to cut anywhere near as many sets as whatever Standard does, so unless Expanded is retired (I hope not) then it will still have these cards. I will not be surprised if Expanded rotates less often than Standard, but when it does rotate entire generations e.g. all BW-era sets are cut.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
It's about an average 3 sets per year based on historical feed @Otaku presented. Whether or not they do it is another conversation, but if I was betting man, I would say they would rotate a min of 3 sets. The sets I would pick is XY -- XY Furios Fists - XY Flash Fire. In the back of my skull, I'd give a strong probability that those would be gone.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer

Max Elixir + Energy Switch can do wonders. It's on of the things that has made Palkia EX work so well for me (the others being Manaphy EX and Rough Seas)

For attack based acceleration, we get Xerneas and Yveltal back. We also get Volcanion for fire decks.

Volcanion– Fire – HP130
Basic Pokemon

[R] Power Heater: 20 damage.Choose 2 of your Benched Pokemon. Attach a Fire Energy from your discard pile to each of them.

[R][R][R] Explosive Flame: 100 damage.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Scubasage

Aspiring Trainer
Is there a correlation between the years sets rotated and the years those rotated sets were released?

rocket_miu

Aspiring Trainer
The new supporter (Karen) can be an indication that night march might still be in standard after the rotation, dropping only three sets. But i'm not sure!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Is there a correlation between the years sets rotated and the years those rotated sets were released?

Yes?

The entire point of rotation is for older sets to leave the format. ;) Anecdotal (possibly because I'm just going to be lazy and go from memory), but at least at one time the stated intentions was for cards to last about two years in competitive Standard play. However this is not a hard and fast rule as in the past some sets have lasted longer and some have fallen short. Even apart from the extreme examples.

Scubasage

Aspiring Trainer
Yes?

The entire point of rotation is for older sets to leave the format. ;) Anecdotal (possibly because I'm just going to be lazy and go from memory), but at least at one time the stated intentions was for cards to last about two years in competitive Standard play. However this is not a hard and fast rule as in the past some sets have lasted longer and some have fallen short. Even apart from the extreme examples.

I meant something more concrete. For example, Magic The Gathering rotates sets out every year. Each set lasts in standard for 2 years before it rotates out. Any sets that are 3 years old therefore leave Standard and become Modern only.

If Pokemon follows a similar system, then wouldn't PRC-On be the likely rotation, as that eliminates all the 2014 sets?

Otaku

The wise fool?
I meant something more concrete. For example, Magic The Gathering rotates sets out every year. Each set lasts in standard for 2 years before it rotates out. Any sets that are 3 years old therefore leave Standard and become Modern only.

If Pokemon follows a similar system, then wouldn't PRC-On be the likely rotation, as that eliminates all the 2014 sets?

...but at least at one time the stated intentions was for cards to last about two years in competitive Standard play. However this is not a hard and fast rule as in the past some sets have lasted longer and some have fallen short. Even apart from the extreme examples.

Emphasis added, plus some less important text cut because I fear I obfuscated the meaning.

It is important to remember the differences between Pokémon and Magic: the Gathering. I am not a MtG player, so I only know bits and pieces, but my understanding is that WotC has very specific structures in place. So what is it, three or four sets make a cycle/block? I think that there is a unit made up of multiple blocks as well, but Pokémon doesn't do that in part because it can't. The Pokémon TCG seems to exist as much for its own sake as to cross promote Pokémon in other forms. This means sets sometimes are released with varying contents and/or order based on the Japanese versus the larger western market. The idea is that when there is a new game or film, the-powers-that-be want a set out there both to take advantage of increased interest in product and to help promote the film/game/etc.

If you go to a website like Bulbapedia, you can look at all the sets released in Japanese and English. There are two sets never released outside of Japan, but there are six sets never released in Japan that we received for the North American TCG (especially with the oldest sets, international releases were hit or miss). There also many sets reworked because of what I mentioned about tie-ins. Sometimes there are other game revisions as well that necessitate a deeper cut or permit a more shallow one.