New Darkness-Based Deck?

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
Sorry if the title sounds like a little kid at league saying he's playing his water deck, but what with the scans posted (and that nice-looking Zoroark and Darkrai), I thought a deck that was all dark-type might work.

Zoroark - Darkness - HP100
Stage 1 - Evolves from Zorua

[C][C] Beat Down: Does 20 damage times the number of Darkness Pokemon you have in play.
[D][D] Dark Rush: Does 20 damage times the number of damage counters on this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

Darkrai EX - Darkness - HP180
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Darkness Cloak
As long as this Pokemon is in play, all of your Pokemon with any Darkness Energy attached to them have no retreat cost.

[D][D][C] Night Spear: 90 damage. Choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon, and this attack also does 30 damage to that Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench.)

Pokemon EX Rule: When Pokemon EX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

Dark Patch - Trainer

Choose a basic Darkness Energy from your discard pile and attach it to one of your Benched Darkness Pokemon.

Strategy would be to use Zoroark's attack to do 120, maybe 130 damage a turn for DCE or 2 Darkness Energy. Darkrai gives free retreat where necessary, and Dark Patch is really useful for getting back Darkness and Special Darkness energy.

I'm not sure what else would be included, though– I'm thinking something along the lines of Weavile or maybe Honchkrow as a Donphan counter for Resistance (doesn't do too well against Catcher, though, so Cryogonal might be necessary).

It does sort of fall to Donphan, but with a couple Cryogonal or a Dark-type with Resistance (Honchkrow?), that could be fixed.

Thoughts?

^ First, Dark Patch only gets Basic Darkness Energy. Second, I have my own ideas using Darkrai EX, Hydreigon, and Emboar(Ability) for fast attachment and the ablity for free retreat.

I don't see the point of needing Darkrai EX, it just seems too risky to let an EX sit on your bench as nothing more than a tech with catcher around. Weavile could see play, but just 1 or 2 weavile doesn't make a lot of sense imo. Heavy disruption or don't bother with it. There is too much hand refresh/etc in the format right now for it to be effective unless you can instantly severely cripple them.

bigpokex said:
First, Dark Patch only gets Basic Darkness Energy.

Oops, my bad, I missed that (I must have been really tired this morning...). The overall idea is still similar, though.

bigpokex, so you would be running both Darkness and Fire energy? That sounds interesting, but still a bit slow. I'll have to try it out.

@Captoats, Weavile would probably be a 3-3 or 4-4 line, which means severe disruption– placing down even two Weavile in the same turn is crippling to the extreme; with some Seeker/SSU that could win games by a large margin.

Even a 1-1 Weavile line can steal games. With supporter-based draw, axing one supporter can mean they don't have any resources for 2+ turns. Plus, you get a free look at their hand. I kind of like the idea of a Zoroark/Weavile deck. Actually, I really like it - it's like a better version of Yanmega/Weavile. However, I'm not a fan of Darkrai EX because it's a 2-prize liability from Catcher. If the only lines are Zoroark and Weavile, there's nothing you need to retreat anyway.

Ya, but to be able to get Weavile out (hopefully) every game, a bigger line is better. I can see Tyranitar Prime working well in this too, because your bench will be all, or mostly Darks.

You should also use the normal Zoroark too. It would be really good against the Dragons and Magnezone.

I wouldn't risk Darkrai EX, because it can easily be Catcher'd up and ko'd.

Darkrai EX can be a nice back up attacker late game if you run low on dark Pokemon though. It can't be easily OHKOed, not with 180 hp. Of course, I'm very biased towards using it and the deck might work without it.

Nah, its attack shouldn't be used at all, it is mediocre at best. Donphan and Magnezone will be problems for the deck, I'd wait until rotation to play the deck.

glaceon said:
Ya, but to be able to get Weavile out (hopefully) every game, a bigger line is better. I can see Tyranitar Prime working well in this too, because your bench will be all, or mostly Darks.

You should also use the normal Zoroark too. It would be really good against the Dragons and Magnezone.

I wouldn't risk Darkrai EX, because it can easily be Catcher'd up and ko'd.
Zoroark hates playing Magnezone. And you're doing the same damage to the dragons for the same energy cost with each Zoroark, but you don't do self-damage against Zekrom. I'd rather have extra consistency than a somewhat easier 120 against Reshiram.

Zoroark does well against Magnezone. It burns 3 energy to knock it out, but is certainly not for Magnezone. For the dragons, you may not have all the needed Pokemon to knock it out, and it could help to knock it out. I know the other Zoroark is better, but the normal Zoroark could be useful as a tech.

Without energy acceleration, Zoroark hates to lose that many energy. Especially when DCE only hits 50.

I'd say use the normal Zoroark as a tech, but it cuts into how many of the good Zoroark you can use. If it were a separate line, it would be better. Also, Zoroark is somewhat less useful with Evolite out.

The other Zoroark does less too though. And I was suggesting Zoroark BW as a tech.

Starting to think practically about this, you are going to have a lot of basics on your bench all the time just so you can be hitting max with Zoroark, which is easy catcher bait. Also, everything is getting KO'd at 100 or lower so if they get something set up you are in trouble. Since the thread has put a lot of focus on Weavile for a tech, it sounds like the deck is a weaker disruption that can also put out some damage, and SAW doesn't play so well right now as is.

As for T-tar, I'm not sure if I see it. You are putting a stage 2 tech in a stage 1 deck that puts some spread damage out there, when you are going for OHKO's with your main attacker.

I still want to play this though.

Weavile is very good against anything without Magnezone. It can cut off draw support for slower decks, and it picks apart complex setup decks. And 120 damage is nothing to scoff at - that's what Reshiram does too. With Sp. Dark, you get a Gothitelle counter. The pesudo-Outrage would be a lot better if it had more HP, though. It will still make opponents think twice about not OHKOing it.

With the HP it has, it will often be ohko'd most of the time though. I still like the attack.

Ideally, they don't setup enough for late-game KOs. Yanmega only has 10 more HP and usually can't OHKO anything like this can, yet it's still one of the best cards in the format. The same applies to Zoroark BW and Cinccino, but they can usually maintain an even prize exchange.

TyRam, Donphan, Cinccino, and sometimes ZPST will be able to hit for 100+ late game.

Also, it seems as if you and I are the (almost) only ones posting on this thread :p.

Ideally, the Weavile cripple your opponent enough for him to not be able to consistently KO Zoroark– discarding Supporters, Catchers, Pokémon, Energy, you can put any type of lock on your opponent you feel would work.

If you haven't played a deck with Weavile before, try playing Stage 1s with it– it can be an extremely powerful tool to cripple setup (Judge+Weavile drop especially is absolutely horrendous for the opponent, and a late-game N+Weavile could be devastating).

And while Zoroark is hitting for 120 for CC, maybe more with Sp. Dark/PlusPower/Rocky Helmet, even, will OHKO a lot.

I've always found Judge to be counter-productive for Weavile. With Yanmega in the deck, I suppose it's necessary, but with this I probably wouldn't run it. The chance you whiff on the Weavile after a Judge is just too high to make it worth-it.

Yeah, that's obviously a problem, but I feel like with 4 Weavile and 4 Communication, that could be a worthwhile risk to take (especially since Judge, even without Weavile, can be tough for the opponent to follow up on). I'd have to test it (maybe with some SSU as well, or N in place of Judge?), but getting that combo off T2 or T3 could be as good as a win in many cases.

Back