Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TPCi has announced there will be a wording change for switch actions in the Scarlet & Violet series. To make it clearer which Pokemon are being affected by switching, the terms “switch in” and “switch out” will be used from now on.
For example, Pokemon Catcher from the Sword & Shield series said:
“Flip a coin. If heads, switch 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon with their Active Pokemon.”
For the Scarlet & Violet series, Pokemon Catcher will now say:
“Flip a coin. If heads, switch in 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon to the Active Spot.”
The phrase “switch in” will be used when the card effect is affecting an opponent’s Benched Pokemon. When the card effect is affecting the opponent’s Active Pokemon, the phrase “switch out” will be used instead.
This makes for clearer language and concise wording. Every generation sees wording...

Continue reading...

itmealice

Aspiring Trainer
this almost feels more like an ink saving measure than a change for the sake of clarity, but it can't hurt to potentially make certain effects more easily decipherable

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
This can potentially make for a much clearer wording for effects that trigger when a Pokemon "switches in" or "switches out". We don't have many of these cards, but for this change to make them appear more often the Japanese wording would have to be influenced too - and I don't believe it was.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
So for the like of U turn, it will now read: "Switch in 1 of your Benched Pokémon to the Active Spot." or like Whirlwind for example will now read "Your opponent switches in 1 of their Benched Pokémon to the Active Spot."

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
I love how this solves confusing scenarios like Prima Groudon EX by referring to the "spot" instead of the "Active Pokemon"

However, the Japanese still uses the term ”バトルポケモン" = "Battle Pokemon" = "Active Pokemon"... so I wonder what sparked the change...

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
This is great!

Never will we have to explain to newer players that primal groudon is not imune to escape rope 😄

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder if they'll use it in First Impression style attacks and how the wording will be in those cases. "If this pokémon switched in during this turn it does X more damage"? Something like that?

Courtyard Caddy

Aspiring Trainer
I mean such a minor clarification. The game only works with an active Pokemon, if you cannot promote an active Pokemon the opponent wins the game. And bench Pokemon are clearly distinguishable between the active Pokemon. Also in Japanese it's very clearly written on the cards at which what is Switched in and switched out. I honestly don't see this as any true development. There are so many other cards that can benefit from this in the way the text is written.

TrainerSkitz

Aspiring Trainer
He meant when it's on the bench. Which it isn't.

"If a Pokemon with "Omega Barrier" is on the bench, choosing that Pokemon will not stop the effect as the Active was the target of Escape Rope."

That's what regards what he meant.
Oh in that regard it was obvious, but anyone playing Primal Groudon only has omega barrier poke in play for that reason

Porygonbail

Aspiring Trainer
Oh in that regard it was obvious, but anyone playing Primal Groudon only has omega barrier poke in play for that reason
I can feel myself crumble to dust reading this. Last time I actively played was with fossil-set cards. X,D And reading all of the smallprint on the primal card gave me flashbacks to filing my taxes.

This being said, I like the change. Sure, for many it was simply logical, since there is only one active pokemon on each side, but it will still make it easier and hopefully prevent some bickering at the tables.
This aint literature class, and the effect of a card should not be up to the readers interpretation.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
I love how this solves confusing scenarios like Prima Groudon EX by referring to the "spot" instead of the "Active Pokemon"

However, the Japanese still uses the term ”バトルポケモン" = "Battle Pokemon" = "Active Pokemon"... so I wonder what sparked the change...
My guess is language-specific grammar structure. English can get very pedantic, as we've seen here with "switch in" and "switch out". At the end of the day though, the innate rulings and game mechanics doesn't change across languages, and that's all that matters.

TrumoN

Aspiring Trainer
This is mainly to explain WHICH pokemon is receiving the main action. The effect is the same: a poke goes to the bench and another one comes in BUT now there will be no doubts when things like
"I use catcher to bring a benched"
"No you can't because my active cannot be switched because of X reason"
"I am not affecting your active but your benched"

This is a yugioh type of change. and I like it :)