General Neko's Moth-Watching Thread

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Not a new species for the list, but here's a Small-Eyed Sphinx that's more colorful than my previous encounters with them:

aDfczKn.jpg

- - -

EDIT: Here's a new one. The Asteroid (aka Goldenrod Hooded Owlet Moth) doesn't have much of a presence when fully at rest, but it's quite handsome when the tucked wings are raised flat or spread open. In flight, it almost looks like a small bird.

2QBPejl.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Got a better pic of the Virginian Tiger Moth, open-winged and showing the pattern on its abdomen. I love when I'm able to get moths pics against natural backgrounds!

XGBmUji.jpg

And here's a female Isabella Tiger Moth from a few nights ago. Their hindwings are more vibrant than those of males.

b9gBCFf.jpg

Some newer guys:
Hitched Arches
wIm2gkJ.jpg

Common Sprangueia
pHOOgPw.jpg

Obtuse Yellow
PAukGjM.jpg

Yellow-Striped Armyworm Moth
DHgxHaK.jpg

Bicolored Pyrausta
InjNg2c.jpg

Rustic Quaker
KPWNCKT.jpg

Pink-Barred Pseudeustrotia
4gRQPis.jpg

Sooty-Winged Chalcoela (Elegant Grass Veneer to the right)
GQPRRAt.jpg

Bent-Line Carpet
J47yz2l.jpg

Variable Tropic Moth
RRcK6qv.jpg

I removed some of the less-interesting moths from the first post to make room for others.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
A very dark Gray-Edged Bomolocha. Colors and clarity of their patterns vary. I thought the charred look of this one looked cool.

3S2h49U.jpg

Packard's Lichen Moth, a small but handsome species

jrXPOBP.jpg

IT'S SO ORANGE! This is one of the Virbia-genus moths (I'm thinking Immaculate Holomelina, aka Plain-Winged Holomelina, but I'm not 100% certain). They're usually found resting with their wings tucked into their sides, hindwings hidden.

lm32Abd.jpg

And a Red Groundling Moth

tqFlQSV.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Moth season seems to be coming to a close. I've had very few lepidopteran visitors over the past few nights. However, I have gotten some interesting September-October moths in the past, so hopefully I'll be able to share more new species this year. In the meantime, here are some more caterpillars!

Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar. Bug/Electric, anyone?
dVcUHPo.jpg

Black-Waved Flannel Moth caterpillar (not a new species). I love how it looks like a cottonweed in this shot!
soft_kitty__warm_kitty_by_icycatelf-dcl2dqe.jpg

Morning-Glory Prominent caterpillar
4GNOSYB.jpg

And another bagworm. Not sure which species, but it's rocking those lichens!
couturier_by_icycatelf-dcl7c4q.jpg

VKJLFVC.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Explicit Arches. Always a pleasure seeing green hues on moths.

iK8cdya.jpg

Luna Moth caterpillar (5th instar). I've seen several adult Lunas, but this is my first time ever seeing its cat.

FJjamp3.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Confused Dart/Subgothic Dart (close examination of the antennae is required to tell these two species apart)

v4HE7Yp.jpg

First new moth of September: Arcigera Flower Moth. At the right angle, the bars in the center of its wings appear pink.

CZc9TCa.jpg

And here's another example of a Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar, showing how colors can vary. (If you see one with orangy-brown lashes, it's a Sycamore Tussock Moth. I reckon I've got a pic of one of those somewhere that I'll try to post later.) EDIT: Added the Sycamore Tussock Caterpillar below.

hLufjVU.jpg

NY1uLZ2.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Saddleback Caterpillar. These unique slug caterpillars are equipped with spines that deliver painful, lingering stings. I've heard about them my whole life but don't recall encountering any until today.

XkCwREE.jpg

Imerpial Moth Caterpillar. I think this is the largest caterpillar I've seen (about 3.5" long)!

2SfoTN1.jpg

EDIT: And here's another Black-Waved Flannel Caterpillar. This one has discarded its wispy white coat. A good way to tell the difference between it and the more-dangerous Puss Caterpillar is to look for a tail (the Black-Waved Flannel doesn't have one).

PnDNwYl.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I'd heard of flightless females, but I had never stumbled across one until today. Here's a female White-Marked Tussock Moth laying her massive clutch of eggs on her former cocoon:

B4Mhb0I.jpg

How did all those eggs fit inside her!?

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Only one more new adult, the Indigo Stem Borer Moth. As the name suggests, the larvae bore into the stems of wild indigo (as well as dogbane).

o4NO8YW.jpg

Here's a Hitched Arches Caterpillar:

gbNCLrJ.jpg

And what appears to finally be an active Mini Bagworm (Confederate Microbagworm). I've seen a dozen of their cases over the past couple years, but never the caterpillar itself. This one's case is smaller than the others (0.8cm vs a 1.7cm average), but I assume that's because it's younger. It was found in the same location as the Mini Bagworm cases, so I think there's a good chance that it's the same species. (The only other grass-wearing bagworm I know of that should exist here is the Common/Grass Bagworm, which is smaller than the Mini Bagworm, but their strands of grass usually run the full length of the case.)

QqEZ0dR.jpg

Being the first bagworms I ever found evidence of, I've got a soft spot for Mini Bagworms.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Just when I was starting to think that I wouldn't get anymore interesting moths this year, let alone new ones, I found that a cocoon I spotted on a fence a couple weeks ago had eclosed to reveal my first Dot-Lined White! The famous "Venezuelan Poodle Moth" is believed to belong to the same genus as this moth (Artace). Some suggest that it may even be the same species as the Dot-Lined White, or a subspecies.

iyNHFSQ.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
The last few moths of September:

While the Meal Moth may be somewhat attractive, it's probably not someone you'd want to share your home with. Their caterpillars are known to feed on stored wheat products, such as flour and oatmeal. Fortunately, this one was found outside. In China, the frass (poop) of this moth's caterpillar is used to make "insect tea."

jG9URUj.jpg

Sharp-Stigma Looper
E3qV4F0.jpg

Spotted Beet Webworm Moth
NKh8USj.jpg

And an Ash-Tip Borer. Probably my favorite borer moth I've seen. A bit more ornate than the Indigo Stem Borer.

02qhasD.jpg

I also found this red caterpillar. I've yet to get an ID on it, but I'm guessing that it's one of the prominents that has changed colors because it's getting ready to pupate.

FkotcuU.jpg

Due to the 100-image limit, I've continued the list to post #3. I'll re-add those I removed from the list before sometime later. Done! Reckon I'll make it to 150?

In other news, those moth memes, eh?

Last edited:

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
That red caterpillar is beautiful!! That shade of red is absolutely gorgeous.

Those moth memes are certainly somethin', haha!!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Added a bunch of older moth photos I neglected to upload, plus some newer ones. Here are a few highlights from this batch:

Curve-Toothed Geometer
O0ZmCZu.jpg

Juniper Geometer
ZgqUvsM.jpg

Small Bird Dropping Moth
9qZGcN3.jpg

The Gem
F9ue9co.jpg

I also added a southern form of the Fall Webworm Moth (more spots) and updated the Colorful Zale pic.

That red caterpillar is beautiful!! That shade of red is absolutely gorgeous.
Agreed. I'm not a big fan of red, but it reminds me of red velvet cake.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Please don't eat the caterpillar. XD
Don't worry, I'm not a big fan of chocolate. If I ate anything here, it'd probably be the Black-Bordered Lemon! (Kidding, of course. I'm a vegetarian!)

Another tiny Mini or Grass Bagworm showed up. It hasn't appeared to move for three or four days, so I'm guessing that it's pupating. Will I finally get to see my first bagworm moth? (From what I gather, it seems that Mini Bagworm females emerge as winged adults, but Grass Bagworm females, like many other bagworm species, do not.)

Last edited:

Luplayz

The Master of bad Pokemon
The last few moths of September:

While the Meal Moth may be somewhat attractive, it's probably not someone you'd want to share your home with. Their caterpillars are known to feed on stored wheat products, such as flour and oatmeal. Fortunately, this one was found outside. In China, the frass (poop) of this moth's caterpillar is used to make "insect tea."

jG9URUj.jpg
they are taking over, more moths = more memes :|

Sharp-Stigma Looper
E3qV4F0.jpg

Spotted Beet Webworm Moth
NKh8USj.jpg

And an Ash-Tip Borer. Probably my favorite borer moth I've seen. A bit more ornate than the Indigo Stem Borer.

02qhasD.jpg

I also found this red caterpillar. I've yet to get an ID on it, but I'm guessing that it's one of the prominents that has changed colors because it's getting ready to pupate.

FkotcuU.jpg

Due to the 100-image limit, I've continued the list to post #3. I'll re-add those I removed from the list before sometime later. Done! Reckon I'll make it to 150?

In other news, those moth memes, eh?

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
I bet there's one moth you won't be able to get a picture of any time soon: the mammoth.

Haha... I'll take my leave now

(Actually though, really cool pictures. Love to see when people have such a huge passion for something! Do I sense a current / future ecologist?)