Need Help Building a Competitive Deck

Aviste

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone,
I've decided to start playing pokemon competitively and am preparing for a tournament (Fort Wayne In./ for the winter championship) I would like help to know how to start what to buy and stuff like how to make a successful deck because I have no cards (in format) and need to make both decks still. So can I use the same list in both days. And also helping out with a deck would be nice. I would like to make a super competitive Aromatise deck with other pokemon to counter the main decks. How would this work/ would this be smart?
Thanks All

RE: New player help

Hello and welcome to the competitive Pokemon scene! If you're set on playing Aromatise, you should know that some of the very useful cards in it, including Cobalion-EX, Landorus-EX, and Virizion-EX (you only need one of each of these), and Max Poition (3-4 needed) are not cheap. I'm not saying this to discourage you in any way, but budget is always a factor when it comes to building competitive decks. This thread will give you a list of staple Trainers (especially supporters) and their prices. If you have any old prints of Rainbow Energy and Double Colorless Energy, those are perfectly legal in the current format, and will save you a few dollars. You should also check out This guide on competitive deck building to understand how a typical Trainer engine functions.

Specifically toward Aromatisse, here is the deck that Pooka (a renowned Pokemon TCG player and Youtuber) used to go undefeated at Regionals. You can use it as a reference, but be advised that the format is shifting with the release of Phantom Forces. A lot of us aren't sure what to play at all right now, so this ia an important time to be doing research, especially learning what's popular in your area. I except Seismitoad-EX decks to get a fair amount of acclaim, so having some Grass attackers are rather important.

Ok thank you for all of that. So do you recommend running one pokemon for each type to counter weakness or run something that just focuses on doing more damage and also is Genesect EX good for this because that's the only pokemon I have in the format.

You don't need to counter every weakness so much as you need to have answers to common threats in the metagame. I specifically mentioned Grass because i'm expecting Seismitoad-EX to get very popular, and you'll need a way to consistently deal with it. While you could play Genesect-EX, I don't think it's a good choice here, as attacking with it will require the use of two Rainbow Energies and put you at risk of Enhanced Hamemrs as a result. You also probably won't be running Plasma energy, so you can't take advantage of Red Signal. Genesect-EX is best used in the Virizion/ Genesect deck rather than trying to play it in Aromatisse. Virizion-EX and Shaymin-EX are less risky options in this case. You can also run M-Kangaskhan-EX, which has a massive 230 HP and all around utility. It also doesn't require use of your precious Rainbow Energy to attack. This is the Pokemon that a lot of Aromatisse decks have been relying on as a "neutral" attacker as of late.

So how's this for a starting deck list...

Pokemon-19
3 Spritzee
2 Aromatisse
2 Xerneas XY
1 Xerneas EX
1 Genesect EX
1 Yveltal EX
1 Virizion EX
1 Charizard EX (Stoke)
1 Landorous EX
1 Suicune (Safeguard)
1-1 Mega Manectric
2-1 Mega Kangashkan

Trainers-30
1 ACE SPEC Dowsing Machine
1 Evosoda
4 Max potion
1 startling Megaphone
1 Manectric Spirit Link
2 vs seeker
1 Lysandres trump card
3 Shauna
3 Sycamore
2 Colress
3 Lysandre
3 Muscle band
2 Pokemon fan club
2 ultra balls
2 Fairy garden

Energy-
7 fairy energy
4 Rainbow energy

I suggest fairy garden for easy retreat. I don't suggest genesect with great Booster either since you discard your one rainbow each time.

So I'll switch these out then (and edit the original post)
G-Booster for Dowsing Machine
1 Max Potion/ 1 evosoda/ 1 startling megaphone for 2-1 Mega Kangashkan line (forgot them in first draft)
2 vs seeker for 2 Fairy garden

Computer Search is without a doubt the Ace Spec to use here. Dowsing Machine is a little too slow for a deck liek this. Genesect-EX is only really good with G-Booster, so it's best to just skip it altogether or run a Virizion / Genesect deck instead. I'd also choose solely between M-Manectric or M-Kangaskhan. One Mega Evolution is all you need to handle Pyroar. I'd suggest Kangashkan because Pyroar can't even two-shot it, so it's easy to just Max Potion the damage away. It also doesn't require a Rainbow Energy to attack. Lastly, you should replace the Stoke Charizard with Combustion Blast. Its attacks are more efficient and easier to use. Xerneas XY handles your energy acceleration more reliably.

Would Venesaur be better then Genesect? I made the other changes
And also how big of a problem is enhanced hammer? And what can I do against those

Venusaur's energy costs are pretty high, making it not so viable. Virizion and Shaymin really are you best bests. If neither of those are appealing, you could run a Leafon line, but I don't think that would go over well.

As far as Enhanced Hammer goes... it's a big threat to this deck and there's not much you can do about it. The average count for Hammers is 1-2, but disruption-based Seismitoad decks could run 3 or even 4. You also have Xerosic to contend with. All you can really do is play Lysandre's Trump Card to shuffle all your Rainbow Energy back into your deck. You other alternative would be Thundurus-EX, which can attach discarded energy to Team Plasma Pokemon. however, this would requrie you to put a large number of Plasma Pokemon into your deck, greatly changing your build.

Then is this deck still competitive? It also looks like Garbodor is a big problem. I just thought this might be a fun idea. How competitive is team plasma still I might look into that?

Back