• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Need Deck Help! (Hydreigon / Yveltal)

raichulover11

Levy-chan
Pokemon:

• x3 Deino (BWPF)
    x3 Hydreigon (BWDragonsE)
    x2 Zweilous (BWPF)
    x4 Yveltal (XY)\
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• x4 Dark Claw
    x4 Dark Patch
    x2 Exp. Share
    x1 Life Dew
    x4 Pokemon Center Lady
    x4 Pokemon Fan Club
    x4 Professor Sycamore
    x4 Professor's Letter
    x1 Rare Candy
    x2 Shadow Circle
    x4 Skyla
    x2 Tierno
Energy:

• x12 Dark Energy

Strategy:

Ok, so you start out by attaching energies to Yveltal, and evolving into Hydreigon. Then, once Yveltal is piled with energies, ( A.K.A. three energies) it uses Darkness Blade. Repeat until it hits tails, then next turn use retreat to another Yveltal. Attach an energy to the new Yveltal, and use it to attach energy through Oblivion Wing. Here's where Hydreigon comes into play. You take its Ability, Dark Trance(?) and move the benched Pokemon's energy to the active. You get the point, no?

Thank you for helping!

RE: Need Help! Deck (Hydreigon / Yveltal)

Nice list! I don't think you really need to change anything. Using Hydreigon's ability with oblivion wing is pretty clever. I'm guessing you don't need Darkrai for the free retreat since you want to use oblivion wing? Very nice!

Have you play tested this deck yet? Just wondering how quickly you are evolving Hydreigon for the ability.

RE: Need Help! Deck (Hydreigon / Yveltal)

Ok, I've quite a few suggestions for you:

-2 Yveltal XY: You don't need it THAT much with the modifications I'm making.
+2 Yveltal-EX: It's a heavy hitter, you'll use it a lot.
+1 Darkrai-EX: Its attack is not bad, and has a pretty good Ability as well.
+1 Absol PLF: A nice non-EX attacker.
-2 Exp. Share: They are not good if you want to use Dark Patch to its fullest.
-4 Pokemon Center Lady: You need Draw power.
-3 Pokémon Fan Club: Same as above.
-1 Skyla: Same as Above.
+3 N: One of the best draw Supporters in the format.
+2 Colress: Alongside Fan Club, you can draw around 5-6 cards at minimum.
+3 Ultra Ball: To search out your Pokémon.

Also, if you can:
-4 Dark Claw
+4 Muscle Band: It's more general and can fit in another deck if you need it to.

Hope I could help, and let me know what you think! :D

Why no Yveltal EX? Why no tech of Darkrai for something that you plan on doing often (retreating)? Why no Sableye? Why why why?

^ Just some questions to consider. When I first saw this thread, I assumed Yveltal EX, and my first thought was that this was going to be along the lines of Darkrai/Hydreigon and Max Potion. But it wasn't. Although, if you had some of the heavier EX's of course, you could replace your Professor's Letters with Max Potions because, let's be honest, Professor's Letters isn't really all that good, certainly not a four-of. Either way, I'd say find something better to put in for at least three of your Professor's Letters.

Ocho said:
Nice list! I don't think you really need to change anything. Using Hydreigon's ability with oblivion wing is pretty clever. I'm guessing you don't need Darkrai for the free retreat since you want to use oblivion wing? Very nice!

Have you play tested this deck yet? Just wondering how quickly you are evolving Hydreigon for the ability.
Thanks, Ocho! ;) I haven't playtested it yet, but I'm planning to do so when I get the chance to go to my league. I was thinking Darkrai, as people were saying it's great, but I found out it has an ability to have free retreat, and that would mess up the plan.
Luispipe8 said:
Ok, I've a few suggestions for you:

Also, if you can:
-4 Dark Claw
+4 Muscle Band: It's more general and can fit in another deck if you need it to.

Hope I could help, and let me know what you think!
Ok, first, The Yveltal EX is a great plan with Hydregion's ability. Just get a lot of energy out, and load it up, and BOOM! The pokemon is knocked out. The Darkrai will be counterintuitive because I need the energy in the discard pile, but if I take out the Yveltal all together, I could put the Hydregion, Yveltal EX, and Darkrai in. I was thinking of not having any Skyla and Dark Claw because they were too expensive(?)Never mind, it was the Dark Patch that was expensive Absol is nice, though. I need draw power, too. Thanks!
Mora said:
Why no Yveltal EX? Why no tech of Darkrai for something that you plan on doing often (retreating)? Why no Sableye? Why why why?

^ Just some questions to consider. When I first saw this thread, I assumed Yveltal EX, and my first thought was that this was going to be along the lines of Darkrai/Hydreigon and Max Potion. But it wasn't. Although, if you had some of the heavier EX's of course, you could replace your Professor's Letters with Max Potions because, let's be honest, Professor's Letters isn't really all that good, certainly not a four-of. Either way, I'd say find something better to put in for at least three of your Professor's Letters.
I am thinking of Yveltal EX, but I am worried it might be too expensive. Same with Darkrai, but these two are both great! Sableye is a good tech, but you have to have it in active for it to work, I think. I like your line of thought, with Yveltal EX, and Darkrai/Hydregion. Max Potion discards energy, but so does Yveltal, which I might take out. And it heals fully, instead of Pokémon Center Lady. This deck is based on what cards I have.

Thank you all for commenting, it really helped!!

raichulover11 said:
I am thinking of Yveltal EX, but I am worried it might be too expensive. Same with Darkrai, but these two are both great! Sableye is a good tech, but you have to have it in active for it to work, I think. I like your line of thought, with Yveltal EX, and Darkrai/Hydregion. Max Potion discards energy, but so does Yveltal, which I might take out. And it heals fully, instead of Pokémon Center Lady. This deck is based on what cards I have.

The Yveltals and Darkrais shouldn't be that much; there were promos of each if I'm not mistaken. I have some Darkrais for trade if you do the online trading and really need some. And the point with Max Potion was that you move the Energy with Dark Trance to another Pokemon and Max Potion the damage without discarding any Energies, and then just move them right back and keep attacking.

raichulover11 said:
Luispipe8 said:
Ok, I've a few suggestions for you:

Also, if you can:
-4 Dark Claw

Hope I could help, and let me know what you think!
Ok, first, The Yveltal EX is a great plan with Hydregion's ability. Just get a lot of energy out, and load it up, and BOOM! The pokemon is knocked out. The Darkrai will be counterintuitive because I need the energy in the discard pile, but if I take out the Yveltal all together, I could put the Hydregion, Yveltal EX, and Darkrai in. I was thinking of not having any Skyla and Dark Claw because they were too expensive(?)Absol is nice, though. I need draw power, too. Thanks!

Just wondering, how is Darkrai-EX counterintuitive about discarding Energy? I mean, sure, it helps to discard some by retreating, but not always. That's why you should run Ultra Ball, to discard them without "wasting" a turn's attachment.

Mora said:
raichulover11 said:

The Yveltals and Darkrais shouldn't be that much; there were promos of each if I'm not mistaken. I have some Darkrais for trade if you do the online trading and really need some. And the point with Max Potion was that you move the Energy with Dark Trance to another Pokemon and Max Potion the damage without discarding any Energies, and then just move them right back and keep attacking.
Ah, I get it! Max Potion is great with the right cards! I'm going to search for Darkrai and Yveltals. I guess I might trade you.

Luispipe8 said:
raichulover11 said:
Ok, first, The Yveltal EX is a great plan with Hydregion's ability. Just get a lot of energy out, and load it up, and BOOM! The pokemon is knocked out. The Darkrai will be counterintuitive because I need the energy in the discard pile, but if I take out the Yveltal all together, I could put the Hydregion, Yveltal EX, and Darkrai in. I was thinking of not having any Skyla and Dark Claw because they were too expensive(?)Absol is nice, though. I need draw power, too. Thanks!

Just wondering, how is Darkrai-EX counterintuitive about discarding Energy? I mean, sure, it helps to discard some by retreating, but not always. That's why you should run Ultra Ball, to discard them without "wasting" a turn's attachment.
Ultra Ball is great, but I was thinking along the lines of: Darkrai is a tech, to keep the retreat free, and Hydregion gets the energy loaded onto Yveltal and Yveltal uses Evil Ball, and most pokemon are knocked out.
Thank you both! :D

Welcome! There are so many great cards that are overlooked in this game; I think it's really cool that you'll be using Hydreigon! I figured discarding energy to retreat would be part of your strategy with this deck so I didn't mention Darkrai. He is worth it for the free retreat in a pinch though. If you're willing to try him out I say go for it!

The other members' advice is good! You can always discard energy to pay for ultra ball, and if you have some energy in hand when you play Sycamore that's even better haha! So even without a paid retreat you would have a good shot at being able to dump some energy into your discard pile (that's if you decide to keep regular Yveltal for oblivion wing of course). You can't go wrong with Yveltal-ex either!

As Mora said there are promos of Darkrai-ex and Yveltal-ex available in tins and they come with 4 booster packs and an online code too :) the tins range in price from $15.99 to $22.99 (Walmart/ToysRus). I personally love the artwork on the promo Yveltal-ex!

Looking forward to hearing how your deck does at league!

I would like to impart a piece of advice unto you about Darkrai: Do not underestimate it! With the amount of Raichu running around at the moment, fighting with Yveltal, the most countered card in the format, might get a little dangerous. To counteract this, Darkrai has an attack that both one-shots Raichu and places thirty on the bench as to set up KOs later. I run a similar deck to this one, and let me tell you, heavy Darkrai saved my butt on numerous occasions.

I might add in a second one for this purpose -- plus, they're easily Max Potioned.

Have you also considered Blend Energy and Virizion EX? Blend Energy can also help you use Hydreigon's Dragon Blade attack, which is extremely useful in a pinch, and it also provides Grass Energy alongside the Dark Energy, so Virizion EX's ability can also aid you against Lasers. Because it's also Dark, you can move it around at will, though you cannot Dark Patch or Oblivion Wing it onto your Pokemon due to its Special Energy status.

Kecleon-X said:
I would like to impart a piece of advice unto you about Darkrai: Do not underestimate it! With the amount of Raichu running around at the moment, fighting with Yveltal, the most countered card in the format, might get a little dangerous. To counteract this, Darkrai has an attack that both one-shots Raichu and places thirty on the bench as to set up KOs later.

Lolz. That's why I play 2 Darkrai EX in my Yveltal EX/Raichu deck. It does help. Can I suggest, if you don't like having at least 1 Darkness energy on everything to allow for free retreat, then how about running 1 copy of Keldeo EX to enable free retreat with a Rush In and Dark Cloak combo. It's worked for me in my tests and seems to be more convenient.

Hope this helps,
LoneWolf2113

raichulover11 said:
Ah, I get it! Max Potion is great with the right cards! I'm going to search for Darkrai and Yveltals. I guess I might trade you.

Okay! If you click on my sig, it should take you right to my trade thread. Check it out and post in it if you want.

Wow! So many people have posted! I'll try to use all of this great advice!
Ocho said:
Welcome! There are so many great cards that are overlooked in this game; I think it's really cool that you'll be using Hydreigon! I figured discarding energy to retreat would be part of your strategy with this deck so I didn't mention Darkrai. He is worth it for the free retreat in a pinch though. If you're willing to try him out I say go for it!

The other members' advice is good! You can always discard energy to pay for ultra ball, and if you have some energy in hand when you play Sycamore that's even better haha! So even without a paid retreat you would have a good shot at being able to dump some energy into your discard pile (that's if you decide to keep regular Yveltal for oblivion wing of course). You can't go wrong with Yveltal-ex either!

As Mora said there are promos of Darkrai-ex and Yveltal-ex available in tins and they come with 4 booster packs and an online code too :) the tins range in price from $15.99 to $22.99 (Walmart/ToysRus). I personally love the artwork on the promo Yveltal-ex!

Looking forward to hearing how your deck does at league! I need to make sure I stay under budget, of 40 dollars. Yeah... I think I'll use Hydreigon and Yveltal EX, with Darkai as a Tech.
I totally agree! Everyone's advice is great!
Kecleon-X said:
I would like to impart a piece of advice unto you about Darkrai: Do not underestimate it! With the amount of Raichu running around at the moment, fighting with Yveltal, the most countered card in the format, might get a little dangerous. To counteract this, Darkrai has an attack that both one-shots Raichu and places thirty on the bench as to set up KOs later. I run a similar deck to this one, and let me tell you, heavy Darkrai saved my butt on numerous occasions.

I might add in a second one for this purpose -- plus, they're easily Max Potioned.

Have you also considered Blend Energy and Virizion EX? Blend Energy can also help you use Hydreigon's Dragon Blade attack, which is extremely useful in a pinch, and it also provides Grass Energy alongside the Dark Energy, so Virizion EX's ability can also aid you against Lasers. Because it's also Dark, you can move it around at will, though you cannot Dark Patch or Oblivion Wing it onto your Pokemon due to its Special Energy status.
Thank you! Do you think I should put a Raichu or two in? I have considered blend energies/rainbow energies. I think they're awesome! Virizion EX is helpful, too.

LoneWolf2113 said:
Kecleon-X said:
I would like to impart a piece of advice unto you about Darkrai: Do not underestimate it! With the amount of Raichu running around at the moment, fighting with Yveltal, the most countered card in the format, might get a little dangerous. To counteract this, Darkrai has an attack that both one-shots Raichu and places thirty on the bench as to set up KOs later.

Lolz. That's why I play 2 Darkrai EX in my Yveltal EX/Raichu deck. It does help. Can I suggest, if you don't like having at least 1 Darkness energy on everything to allow for free retreat, then how about running 1 copy of Keldeo EX to enable free retreat with a Rush In and Dark Cloak combo. It's worked for me in my tests and seems to be more convenient.

Hope this helps,
LoneWolf2113
Darkrai is very convenient. I guess I'll test all of this! Thanks, everyone!!

Good luck let us know how all the playtesting goes! Looking forward to hearing about it, I think this is a great deck!

Back