Help Necrozma-GX vs Shuckle-GX

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
Hi Pokebeach trainers,

Today I played a cup match which raised some doubts on wheter or not to properly damage against Shuckle-GX.

I was using Necrozma-GX's Prismatic Burst against Shuckle-GX, the other player said only 10 damage would apply because I have discarded the energies to apply the other damage.
The judge unfortunately wasn't present at the time so we started to consult other players nearby and some were divided, the opponent told me a judge on IC said the damage won't in fact trigger, since the move says "Discard all [P] energy from this Pokemon(...)" I discarded 3 energies and gave only 10 damage. We did agree and followed the match on her favour.

Later the judge replied the question and the damage had to be applied, because the moment I did declare the move I had 3 energies. They did ask me if I wanted to cancel the match and start a new one, I did refuse, even that it would prejudice me, I was still in doubt.

Which's right? Prismatic would in fact hit Shuckle-GX piercing its ability or would the damage be absorbed?

Thank you guys!

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
The ability checks the energy attached then the attack discards the energy. So you would have dealt damage/ko.

So the judge was right, too bad it came out late. What the opponent insisted was that the effect was to discard first, on that moment Shuckle’s ability would block the damage since there was no energy on my Necrozma.

Other thing that raised opponent’s trust for this resolution (before the judge answered) was that the same occurred on IC and the judge said the damage was blocked. So I did trust and followed the match in accord.

Have you experienced the same on a match? Was the damage unanimously chosen to pass?

Thanks!

Corentin M.

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, the same situation happened to a friend at a Tournament. He played Blacephalon, and as he discarded card from Blacephalon, the same question has been ask. Shuckle indeed takes damage if the attacking Pokemon has 3 or more energy when it attack.

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
Yes, the same situation happened to a friend at a Tournament. He played Blacephalon, and as he discarded card from Blacephalon, the same question has been ask. Shuckle indeed takes damage if the attacking Pokemon has 3 or more energy when it attack.

Good to know, while defending Shuckle’s ability the opponent said a Blacephalon tried to attack and ban energy from itself, on that moment Shuckle’s ability blocked all damage. The opponent said it happened on a IC and it was the judge’s decision to block blacephalon’s damage, I hope the opponent wasn’t cheating on me, since I’m beginning I normally trust the other players without fear of being tricked.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Did you see this thread?
https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/th...s-energy-discard-attacks.148698/#post-2972165

Both Blacephalon and Necrozma would do full damage to Shuckle.

To expand some of what came from that thread:

Order of operations is:

- Make the choices required (so decide to lost zone X energy)
- Do the damage (here is where Shuckle's ability is checked)
- Apply the effects (so, lost zone the energy here)

Same for Necrozma (s/lost zone/discard/).

Info summarized from @PokeMedic and others in that thread.

Last edited:

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
So the opponent tricked me saying IC judge would permit this, ridiculous.

Did you see this thread?
https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/th...s-energy-discard-attacks.148698/#post-2972165

Both Blacephalon and Necrozma would do full damage to Shuckle.

To expand some of what came from that thread:

Order of operations is:

- Make the choices required (so decide to lost zone X energy)
- Do the damage (here is where Shuckle's ability is checked)
- Apply the effects (so, lost zone the energy here)

Same for Necrozma (s/lost zone/discard/).

Info summarized from @PokeMedic and others in that thread.

Thanks Snoopy369, now it’s clearer to me and taught how to prevent me from those teicky situations.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Well, who knows what a particular judge said or did not say without being there... this is certainly edge-case enough that it's totally understandable to have confusion, I'd think. I think the interpretation is correct (that Blacephalon/Naganadel should do damage) but I can understand the other interpretation too. It would be nice if Shuckle would get an entry to the Rules Compendium, but it doesn't seem to yet.

That said, I think this line from the rules (p.20) is pretty specific:

F. Apply any effects that happen before damage, then place damage counters, and then do all other effects

Apply any effects that happen before damage: check for the ability of Shuckle GX
Place damage counters
Do all other effects: discard/lost zone the energy