• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Necrozma GX/ Metagross GX

du5k

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, I was just wondering if anybody would give some feedback on this deck.
Pokemon (17)
2x Necrozma-GX BSH 63
1x Marshadow-GX BSH 80
4x Beldum GRI 83
2x Metand GRI 84
4x Metagross-GX GRI 85
1x Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
1x Drampa GRI 97
1x Alolan Diglett SUM 86
1x Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
Trainers (35)
3x Professor Sycamore
3x N
2x Guzma
1x Olympia
1x Brigette
1x Lillie
1x Skyla
1x Pokemon Ranger
1x Professor Kukui
1x Nest Ball
3x Ultra Ball
2x Max Potion
2x Rescue Stretcher
2x Field Blower
2x Altar of the Moone
1x Switch
1x Super Rod
1x Fighting Fury Belt
2x Choice Band
4x Rare Candy

Energy (8)
5x Psychic Energy (Basic)
3x Metal Energy (Basic)

Thanks.

The Strategy of the deck is similar to that of a Genesect/Metagross deck, in which you try to fill the bench with Metagross so you can continually fuel discard attackers.
Since Metagross can attach both Psychic and Metal from the discard it can attach energy to Necrozma, which does more damage than Genesect (As well as being immune to damage from Colorless Pokemon!)
I found Marshadow to be useful as well because it can use basic's attacks, which means we can Ultra ball discard Vulpix/Diglett/Drampa, so we can search for pPokemon, look at our deck or circulate energy.
The only drawback to the above is that if you start on Diglett/Drampa It is useless. Marshadow is also good as it hits for fighting and can use Necrozma's Attacks, so Metagross can still fuel it.
I run three metal energy in the deck so it is possible for Metagross to attack.

Some things i'm considering:

Adding another Tapu Lele
Removing Diglett/Drampa (What do you replace them with)

Thank You, all feedback is welcome <3

My suggestion would start like this:

-1 alolan diglett
-1 drampa
-1 marshadow gx
-1 Lillie
-1 nest ball

+1 Tapu Lee gx
+1 ultra ball
+1 field blower
+2 energy (probably one of each)

3 field blower is a lot, but one garbodor can shut down your entire deck.

I think Marshadow is a cute idea, but I would rather have an extra Necrozma or Alolan Vulpix. Yes Marshadow can use their moves, but not if they are in your prize cards.

Thanks for your feedback guys I'll be sure to test everything, what do you guys think of teching in a Giratina promo?

Thanks for your feedback guys I'll be sure to test everything, what do you guys think of teching in a Giratina promo?

Maybe online, but if you are playing IRL it really depends on what your local meta looks like.

Thanks mate, my local meta is zoroark break and drampa garb

Last edited:
If you intend to use it against zoroark then no. A good zoroark player, once they know you play it will simply not evolve one of their zoroarks to contiue using standin and retreat. The only place its really good is if you play against greninja

I think a Necrozma focus in a Metagross deck is kind of bad, you need 3 Metagross online before you start to consistently outdamage Metagross itself, the energy counts you run will make it challenging to get a Metagross online and attacking consistently in the first 2-3 turns as well.

Necrozma is also psychic weak, Garb only needs 5 items in discard to OHKO, 4 with a choice band, Garb will end up coming out ahead in prize trades if Necrozma is your primary attacker. One of the main reasons to play Metagross right now imo is because the matchup against that deck is quite good aside from Flareon tech, which will disappear at rotation anyways.

I'd cut Necrozma to 1, dump Diglett, Drampa and Marshadow, and go to something like 2 vulpix, 1 Ninetales-BSH, 2 Lele-GX, 7 metal 3 psychic energy.

As for your trainers, cut Altar of the Moone (metagross needs no retreat aid, you can manual retreat 8 times out of 10 I find), FFB, nest balls, Lillie, Ranger, Switch, Super Rod. Go to 4 Sycamore, 4 Ultra Ball and fit 4 VS seeker in at least until rotation comes.

I think a Necrozma focus in a Metagross deck is kind of bad, you need 3 Metagross online before you start to consistently outdamage Metagross itself, the energy counts you run will make it challenging to get a Metagross online and attacking consistently in the first 2-3 turns as well.

Necrozma is also psychic weak, Garb only needs 5 items in discard to OHKO, 4 with a choice band, Garb will end up coming out ahead in prize trades if Necrozma is your primary attacker. One of the main reasons to play Metagross right now imo is because the matchup against that deck is quite good aside from Flareon tech, which will disappear at rotation anyways.

I'd cut Necrozma to 1, dump Diglett, Drampa and Marshadow, and go to something like 2 vulpix, 1 Ninetales-BSH, 2 Lele-GX, 7 metal 3 psychic energy.

As for your trainers, cut Altar of the Moone (metagross needs no retreat aid, you can manual retreat 8 times out of 10 I find), FFB, nest balls, Lillie, Ranger, Switch, Super Rod. Go to 4 Sycamore, 4 Ultra Ball and fit 4 VS seeker in at least until rotation comes.
Thanks for that; I agree with the fact that unless you have three metagross it's inconsistent, and that takes way long to setup, so I think I'll change it to a 1 necrozma a star you suggested so it's still an option, besides the three psychic energyvcan be used for tapu cure. What do you guys think of weakness policy to prevent damage from fire decks and garb (if using necrozma)

I wouldn't recommend it, the thing with defensive tools is you tend to have to invest heavily in them when you're in a meta with tool removal and everyone is running 2 field blowers minimum. And if they field blow you before attacking the card's just a waste of space. Same reason why Altar of the Sunne isn't a very good card.

Generally in this game, due to how weakness works, it's best to focus on making your good/neutral matchups easier and just conceding that you'll lose your weakness matchup most of the time. Unless you're playing a one prize attacker deck that can trade effectively.

I wouldn't recommend it, the thing with defensive tools is you tend to have to invest heavily in them when you're in a meta with tool removal and everyone is running 2 field blowers minimum. And if they field blow you before attacking the card's just a waste of space. Same reason why Altar of the Sunne isn't a very good card.

Generally in this game, due to how weakness works, it's best to focus on making your good/neutral matchups easier and just conceding that you'll lose your weakness matchup most of the time. Unless you're playing a one prize attacker deck that can trade effectively.
Ok thanks.

Back