My NV prerelease experience. (Lexington, KY)

Master_Z

Zach Carmichael
I haven't played the TCG competitively since I was around 9-10 (I'm going on 20 now). I recently found out that there's a comic/card shop about 15 minutes from my college, so I've been going every few weeks to catch myself up. I went to Battle Roads (1-3) and had fun, and this (Noble Victories) was my first prerelease.

I arrived about 20 minutes to start time. I quickly found a seat and went through my 6 packs. I noticed people beside me getting full arts, and most of my packs were pretty bad. However, I got an eviolite, two rocky helmets, and a Kyurem. I didn't know how to make a deck based around these, but eventually I realized that people would be running stage 1's and Cobalion/Terrakion, so I used this and made the following:

Energy: 19
x7 fire
x7 lightning
x3 psychic
x2 metal

Pokemon: 18
x1 Heatmor
x2 Larvesta (one of each)
x1 Frillish
x1 Kyurem
x2 Blitzle
x2 Stunfisk (one fighting, one electric)
x1 Trubbish
x1 Garbador (regret putting him in)
x1 Litwick (dce attack)
x1 Karrablast
x1 Escavalier
x1 Audino
x1 Axew
x1 Pawniard
x1 Yamask

Trainers/Supporters: 3
x2 Rocky Helmet
x1 Eviolite

My strategy was to lead with Heatmor or the fighting Stunfisk and immediately put a tool (preferably eviolite) on them. The stage 1's in my deck were for backup, as was Audino.

Round 1: 0-3
This was the beside me who pulled out the full arts and N. I burned him on turn one with Heatmor, but 4-5 turns passed and he got heads every time, receiving no damage. With eviolite on Heatmor, none of his attacks hit me, and I spent my time putting energies on the bench and attacking with Heatmor. The guy wasn't paying attention, so he ended up having to discard his tool when I attacked with Heatmor. He lost by attacking my Audino while it had a rocky helmet.

Round 2: 2-0
This was the toughest match of the bunch. He put up something worthless as his leading Pokemon, while he quickly put energy on his Coballion and Druddigon. I had Heatmor out and knocked his lead out, and finally managed to get Coballion out, but Druddigon proved to much and knocked out all of mine. It also didn't help when he used N turn one and got rid of my good hand.

Round 3: 0-3
I lost to this guy at Battle Roads; he's pretty well-known in the city. I didn't have Heatmor this time, but fighting Stunfisk was great. I think I sacrificed my lead to put three energy on my Stunfisk. I gave him two turn of paralysis. I drew Heatmor eventually, and I used him to get rid of the guy's tool (he was stalling with it).

Round 4: 0-4
This kid was probably 9-10 years old. He was the only junior there, so he had to compete with us. He was good though, as he had 3 wins and no losses thus far. I led with Heatmor (my opponents never shuffled my decks well, guess I lucked out getting him so much) and discarded his tools. Easy win.

Overall, I got 2nd place. The guy that beat me in round 2 placed first, and it was no wonder why -- Druddigon, Coballion, Terrakion, two N's, etc. I traded the Kyurem for two packs (I'm getting a box anyway, and I figured Kyurem would be in a tin soon) and got a Coballion, N, and a reverse holo eviolite. I also bought a couple packs at the front of the store (the offical gave them to sell since they were hosting us for free). Overall, I had a blast and can't wait until cities.

Good job at your first PR, I go to my first one tomorrow, so I'm really excited

teh_original_pikachu said:
Thats awesome man. My parents forbid me to play/buy pokemon cards so ehh... I wish I could go to PR. I was gonna pay too...(I'm 13 btw.)

Your parents honestly forbid you from playing pokemon? That is just wrong! You should explain to them how fun it is and that it means something to you. Explain to them the different age groups and the community. If they are sensible at all they will let you play as it is a fun, rewarding hobby and a way to meet new friends. Hope this helps, good luck!

Well firstly I don't mean to hijack a thread, but will do so anyhow.
My parents used to be fine with me buying cards with my own money when I was little. Usually 1 or 2 packs was all I could afford. Fast forward 6 years and I try to buy a tin for $15 at wal-mart and my dad causes a scene, telling me he won't let me grow up spending my money on bullcrap. Now prereleases have come and gone, with me being forbidden to even leave my house Sunday.

Well, the common "hopeless geek" stereotype looms through their head as of now and I just hope I'll be still interested enough to play in POP(if there will be one) 4.5 years from now. Who knows, maybe I'll just break down; buy 10 booster boxes, and peeve the hell out of them ;) But though I do strongly disagree with their mentality, I respect the decision.

Well, after much complaining, I
was allowed to be in POP. I have to buy my own cards(derp) and am not allowed to buy $30+ worth/month. Not enough to be competitive.

Back