DPPt/HGSS My guide on how to get Shiny Pokémon!

JaySamuel

Ladies And Gents: I'm Back!!
How to Get Shiny Pokémon

What Are Shiny Pokémon?

Shiny Pokémon are...what is the best way to explain it? A shiny Pokémon is a Pokémon's alternate-colored form. Look at this picture below:

2d0cg2x.jpg

You are probably used to the Rhyperior on the left rather than the right. That's because shiny Pokémon are much rarer than regular Pokémon. Actually, its a 1/8192 chance of battling a shiny randomly. That's either 1 or 0 during your whole file! Now, don't panic! This guide is here to help you learn how to get some shinies--with NO Gameshark, Action Replay, or any other cheating devices!

Method #1: PokeRadar Chaining

I'm not going to get that much into chaining, as there are already two guides on here about chaining. Basically, it's just about battling the same Pokémon species over and over again until you get a shiny. A shiny patch looks really 'glowy'. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Look at the PokeRadar guide on PokeBeach here or here.

Method #2: Hatching a Shiny Through an Egg (a.k.a. Masuda Method)

This is the more updated method as Pokemon Black and White are the most recent games. To hatch a shiny through the "Masuda Method," a Ditto is recommended. Let's say I am hunting for a shiny Tepig. To hatch baby Tepigs in the daycare, I need to put my Female Pignite and a supporting male Pokemon in too. In this case, the possible supporting pokemon can be found here. That link brings you to the field egg group. If you are unsure of what egg group the shiny Pokemon you're looking for (in my case Tepig), click here and search for your Pokemon. Go their page and check under Gender Ratio on the right side of the page (after scrolling down) it will say Breeding. It will say on the left side of that group what egg group the Pokemon is in. (i.e. Field group) Or, to save you trouble, instead of finding a male Pokemon to breed [a.k.a. The Supporting Pokemon] with my female Pignite, I can use a Ditto. (So I can put my female Pignite and my Ditto in the daycare to make eggs instead of a female Pignite and a male Munna. No matter what, the egg that you produce in the daycare will ALWAYS be the earliest stage of the FEMALE Pokemon. (This rule is ignored if a Ditto is in the daycare.) So if I place my Female Pignite and a Male Munna into the daycare, that will produce a egg with a baby Tepig! Now, if I placed a MALE Pignite and a FEMALE Munna in the daycare, that will produce an egg with a baby MUNNA. In this case, we want a shiny Tepig, so that won't work. BUT, if I put my male Pignite and a Ditto in the daycare, the "female rule" is ignored as Ditto is genderless and will produce eggs with any Pokemon that's in the daycare with it with the exception of these Pokemon. Now, those are only the basics. :D Here are some tips 'N' tricks on how to make your eggs hatch faster, how to increase the chances on making the egg Pokemon a certain nature, etc.

Making the Egg Hatch Faster

Depending on the Pokemon, the egg that your Pokemon produce can take EXTREMELY LONG. In my case with Tepig, it takes 5355 steps to hatch a Tepig egg! :angry To check how long your Pokemon egg takes to hatch, go to this site and check on the wiki page for that Pokemon. It will say right next to the egg group. To make the process go faster, you need to have the Flame Body ability. You can find if you own a Pokemon with this ability here (list of Pokemon that can have Flame Body). When you have an egg or eggs in your party along with a Pokemon with Flame Body ability in the first slot, the amount of steps it takes to hatch the egg is cut IN HALF! So, for Tepig's sake, it takes 5355 steps to hatch an egg of its kind. But, if I have my Magby with Flame Body in the first slot of my party and the eggs in the other slots, it would take only 2677 steps now! :)

Increasing the Chances of a Shiny!

This method is called the Masuda Method, so let's get into the actual method. When you breed two Pokemon of DIFFERENT LANGUAGES or FOREIGN COUNTRIES, it will increase the chances of a shiny Pokemon by 6 times! So I recommend putting the Pokemon you want a shiny of (earliest evolution) with a Ditto that's from a Japanese version of the game and there you have it.

Want More?

Well that's all for now. For more on the Masuda Method, take a look on Youtube or message me any questions you might have. Thank you for reading! -Jay
[attachment=6246]

Attachments

• logo 101.png
    logo 101.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 52
RE: The Official Guide On How to Get Shiny Pokémon!

How soon will you finish detailing this? I'd really like to read it!

I am back on Pokebeach and am now finished this guide! So I guess this is a bump! :D

Hmm, maybe you could include how to Soft-Reset for starters/legendaries and random encountering.

Well random encountering is like picking a needle out of a haystack.

Wasn't there some sort of way where you take specific steps and what not and your gameplay/step count random encounter?

does this method work in SoulSilver too? and if so, can I get the Different Language or Foreign Pokemon from the global link?

612eevee101 said:
does this method work in SoulSilver too? and if so, can I get the Different Language or Foreign Pokemon from the global link?

PokeRadar method: Nope, there's no PokeRadar in HGSS.

Breeding: Works in HGSS, and BW (with better chances in BW).

And yeah, you can get the different language Pokemon from the GTS. But do remember that it definitely has to be a different language, and that it can't simply be foreign. That's why Japanese Pokemon are always a good bet.

I like the guide presented here. I haven't really been dedicated enough to try my hands at getting a Shiny Pokemon. It sounds like too much of a hassle for too little of gain to me. qq

I'm not entirely certain if this is accurate, but it is to my understanding that the probability does not increase/decrease every time you do/don't see a Shiny Pokemon, it just is 1/8192 that each individual encounter will be shiny. So it's not one per game or none per game, it's just however many per game you're lucky enough to encounter. At least that's what I think.

The game mechanics decrease the chance when (properly) using the pokeradar (gen 4 only), when using the Masuda method (both gens 4 and 5), or upon acquisition of the shiny charm (BW2 only) but otherwise the chances are 1/8192 each encounter. RNG abuse can predict when shinies will appear and as such they can become relatively easy to legitimately obtain, but RNG abuse itself takes time to learn. Games are not limited to a certain number of shinies (the one-per game "principle" is just an observed trend for players who do not RNG abuse).

Back