Discussion My First League Cup is Coming Up and I Need Suggestions!

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everybody! So as the title says, there's a League Cup (Standard Format) this upcoming Sunday and it's my first one. I've been going back and forth on what deck to play and figured I'd ask for some insight on what you all would take. So far I'm deciding between 4 decks:

- Ho-Oh GX/Volcanion EX/Salazzle GX
- Metagross GX/Necrozma GX
- Gardevoir GX
- Golisopod GX/Garbodor

My Ho-Oh deck has been the most successful online, winning 22 out of 24 games or something like that. My brother also took the deck to a tournament yesterday and came in first place. My only issue with it is running into something like Ninetales or Greninja, because both are terrible matchups.

Metagross is a deck that I've been playing on and off online for the past week or so and I really like it. It has great matchups against Gardevoir and Ninetales, an... okay... matchup against Golisopod/Garbodor (as long as I can keep Garbotoxin from becoming active), and a terrible matchup against any Fire-type decks. I'm currently leaning towards this deck for some reason, but think it's weakness is even more glaring than my Fire-type deck, plus Garbotoxin completely shuts this deck down.

Gardevoir GX is obviously the big deck at the moment and I took it to a tournament yesterday and finished third with it. There seems to be a decent amount of Metagross in my scene, but it's tough to tell exactly what people are bringing.

Golisopod/Garbodor seems to have a lot of good matchups. It can be set up pretty quick. At least faster then a lot of the Stage 2 decks out there, it can shut down abilities which is amazing, and can punish your opponent with a one-prize attacker. I think this might be the safest bet of the four, but it's not a deck I'm super excited about at the moment.

Anyways, have you had any success lately with a specific deck you think I should try out this week before the LC?

I am going on a league cup this saturday, and I chose Garbolicpod (my name for Garbo Golisopod). It is just amazing killin all those Greninjas, and it is so much fun to watch Gardevoir players seeking their Fieldblower when I have Garbotoxin out. (Their reaction is even more fun when they fieldblowered Garbotoxin away and I attach another Tool next turn) It is so a good deck, and with right play you can win each matchup except HoOh.

I am going on a league cup this saturday, and I chose Garbolicpod (my name for Garbo Golisopod). It is just amazing killin all those Greninjas, and it is so much fun to watch Gardevoir players seeking their Fieldblower when I have Garbotoxin out. (Their reaction is even more fun when they fieldblowered Garbotoxin away and I attach another Tool next turn) It is so a good deck, and with right play you can win each matchup except HoOh.
I agree xD

also you can tech in a gallade to the gardevoir gx deck which makes fighting metagross a whole lot easier

Gallade doesn't really help your matchup against Metagross at all because it has 150 HP, which Metagross can easily one shot. It can be a great one prize attacker that can soften up a Metagross, which you can then clean up with Gardevoir, but with Metagross running Max Potions, typically they'll just retreat the damaged Metagross, heal it, and then use Geotech System to accelerate energies onto the new active Metagross and knock you out.

Yeah, I feel like Golisopod/Garbodor does have a lot of favorable match-ups, which makes it enticing to play!

May I ask to see your Ho-Oh GX/Salazzle GX decklist and how you approach it...especially when you don't get turn 1 Kiawe? I've had nothing but nightmares with that deck when it comes to bricking on Kiawes and not getting the switching I need to keep it going and it just dies to a benched Gardevoir GX that switches up even if I get a KO, and then it's kind of just downhill from there burning turns (no pun intended) trying to get my energy back while getting KO'd every step of the way. I end up prefering pure Salazzle GX much more.

As for your list, right now Golisopod/Garbodor is probably one of the safest decks to pick. If you're feeling lucky, go with Gardevoir GX. Gardevoir GX, when it sets up quickly, is really hard to beat and can beat Metagross GX via having more consistency through Diancie alone. Though, if you're like me, your #1 reason for not taking Gardevoir GX would be because you don't want to play mirror matches all night.

May I ask to see your Ho-Oh GX/Salazzle GX decklist and how you approach it...especially when you don't get turn 1 Kiawe? I've had nothing but nightmares with that deck when it comes to bricking on Kiawes and not getting the switching I need to keep it going and it just dies to a benched Gardevoir GX that switches up even if I get a KO, and then it's kind of just downhill from there burning turns (no pun intended) trying to get my energy back while getting KO'd every step of the way. I end up prefering pure Salazzle GX much more.

As for your list, right now Golisopod/Garbodor is probably one of the safest decks to pick. If you're feeling lucky, go with Gardevoir GX. Gardevoir GX, when it sets up quickly, is really hard to beat and can beat Metagross GX via having more consistency through Diancie alone. Though, if you're like me, your #1 reason for not taking Gardevoir GX would be because you don't want to play mirror matches all night.
yea i think now isnt the time to play gardevoir gx decks in real compitions because of all the people playing it

speaking of Gardevoir decks I recently tested this deck out and i'd like some feed back
  • 1 Diancie BUS 94
  • 4 Ralts BUS 91
  • 3 Kirlia BUS 92
  • 3 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
  • 1 Gallade BKT 84
  • 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
  • 1 Remoraid BKT 31
  • 1 Octillery BKT 33
  • 1 alolan vulpix
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
  • 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
  • 1 Acerola BUS 112
  • 2 Fairy Garden FAC 100
  • 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
  • 3 Guzma BUS 115
  • 1 Brigette BKT 13
  • 2 Skyla BKT 148
  • 2 Field Blower GRI 125
  • 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
  • 3 N FAC 105
  • 2 Choice Band GRI 121
  • 2 Float Stone BKT 137
  • 8 Fairy Energy Energy 9
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Last edited:

Yeah, here's my list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 3 Ho-Oh-GX BUS 131
* 2 Salandit GRI 15
* 2 Salazzle-GX BUS 132
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 131
* 1 Volcanion STS 25
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 2 Volcanion-EX STS 107

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Kiawe BUS 144
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 4 N FAC 105

##Energy - 14

* 14 Fire Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

So I took the Ho-Oh/Turt/Volc/Salazzle deck that made 9th place at Worlds and then modified it to fit the new format. Between 3 Ho-Oh, 3 Tapu Lele, and 3 Kiawe, my chances of getting a Turn 1 Kiawe is solid. You'll have games where it doesn't work out that way, but it is what it is. When that happens I rely on baby Volcanion or Turtonator to accelerate energy onto the bench. You'd be surprised at how often I use Kiawe mid-game as well. If I'm not going to do any significant damage to my opponent during the current turn, I usually opt to Kiawe onto a benched Ho-Oh/Turt/Volc, depending on if I have nothing set up on the bench.

Gardevoir is a tough match-up, but you do have the advantage of setting up faster. Plus, there's no better feeling than using Queen's Haze on a fully charged Gardevoir, haha. I just really like the deck because it uses so many different Pokémon without giving up consistency, so it always feels fun and fresh to play. It has so many weapons, between Ho-Oh's pure power, Turt's turbo acceleration, Volcanion's Steam Up support, and Salazzle's ability to just take over the game after I've taken 4 prize cards. It's a lot of fun!

speaking of Gardevoir decks I recently tested this deck out and i'd like some feed back
  • 1 Diancie BUS 94
  • 4 Ralts BUS 91
  • 3 Kirlia BUS 92
  • 3 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
  • 1 Gallade BKT 84
  • 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
  • 1 Remoraid BKT 31
  • 1 Octillery BKT 33
  • 1 Olivia BUS 119
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
  • 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
  • 1 Acerola BUS 112
  • 2 Fairy Garden FAC 100
  • 1 Max Potion GRI 128
  • 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
  • 3 Guzma BUS 115
  • 1 Brigette BKT 134
  • 1 Fisherman BKT 136
  • 1 Skyla BKT 148
  • 2 Field Blower GRI 125
  • 1 Wicke BUS 127
  • 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
  • 2 N FAC 105
  • 2 Choice Band GRI 121
  • 2 Float Stone BKT 137
  • 7 Fairy Energy Energy 9
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Your list looks pretty good. I would remove Olivia and add 1 Alolan Vulpix. I really like running a 1-1 split between Diancie and Alolan Vulpix because they both have their advantages and you can pick and choose depending on the situation.

I would also remove Fisherman because it's just not as consistent with VS Seeker rotated. I'd maybe add a second Skyla for that reason. 2 Skyla will make it easier for you to grab that needed Rare Candy, Field Blower, Choice Band, etc.

I also don't care for Wicke so I'd remove it for a 3rd N. I recommend playing 4 N along with your 4 Sycamore since those are the best draw Supporters in the game.

I'd remove the Max Potion for another Fairy Energy. I like to play 9 Fairy Energy in my Gardevoir deck myself and if I had to go lower I wouldn't go under 8.

Overall, it looks good though!

Your list looks pretty good. I would remove Olivia and add 1 Alolan Vulpix. I really like running a 1-1 split between Diancie and Alolan Vulpix because they both have their advantages and you can pick and choose depending on the situation.

I would also remove Fisherman because it's just not as consistent with VS Seeker rotated. I'd maybe add a second Skyla for that reason. 2 Skyla will make it easier for you to grab that needed Rare Candy, Field Blower, Choice Band, etc.

I also don't care for Wicke so I'd remove it for a 3rd N. I recommend playing 4 N along with your 4 Sycamore since those are the best draw Supporters in the game.

I'd remove the Max Potion for another Fairy Energy. I like to play 9 Fairy Energy in my Gardevoir deck myself and if I had to go lower I wouldn't go under 8.

Overall, it looks good though!
how about adding another acerola for its consistency and combo with tapu lele

Yeah, here's my list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 3 Ho-Oh-GX BUS 131
* 2 Salandit GRI 15
* 2 Salazzle-GX BUS 132
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 131
* 1 Volcanion STS 25
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 2 Volcanion-EX STS 107

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Kiawe BUS 144
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 4 N FAC 105

##Energy - 14

* 14 Fire Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

So I took the Ho-Oh/Turt/Volc/Salazzle deck that made 9th place at Worlds and then modified it to fit the new format. Between 3 Ho-Oh, 3 Tapu Lele, and 3 Kiawe, my chances of getting a Turn 1 Kiawe is solid. You'll have games where it doesn't work out that way, but it is what it is. When that happens I rely on baby Volcanion or Turtonator to accelerate energy onto the bench. You'd be surprised at how often I use Kiawe mid-game as well. If I'm not going to do any significant damage to my opponent during the current turn, I usually opt to Kiawe onto a benched Ho-Oh/Turt/Volc, depending on if I have nothing set up on the bench.

Gardevoir is a tough match-up, but you do have the advantage of setting up faster. Plus, there's no better feeling than using Queen's Haze on a fully charged Gardevoir, haha. I just really like the deck because it uses so many different Pokémon without giving up consistency, so it always feels fun and fresh to play. It has so many weapons, between Ho-Oh's pure power, Turt's turbo acceleration, Volcanion's Steam Up support, and Salazzle's ability to just take over the game after I've taken 4 prize cards. It's a lot of fun!

Interesting...thank you. I'll have to give it a spin and also probably change my thinking a little bit when approaching/playing this deck.

I also enjoy fire the most out of the decks that I've been building and playing lately, even just my pure Salazzle GX. I just really enjoyed being able to pull OHKOs out of 110 base damage thanks to Hot Poison and Lurantis coming in and making the math work. On the rare and unreliable occassion, I can also have Hot Poison give me the KO on the between turn coming back to me, in which case I get to get my prize cake, and eat it too.

I might experiment with Lurantis in a deck like this simply because once set up it's more consistent and persistent than Volcanion EX Steam up. Ho-Oh GX + Lurantis + Choice Band is a Gardy GX OHKO without having to draw energies every turn to supply it. Simultaneously, I may cut down to 12 or 13 energy to make that happen since you're drawing and discarding less.

I'm assuming you've probably also considered other options like Lurantis and turned them down. If you have any particular reasons I'd love to hear them.

Also...no field blower? I guess there's not much abilities that you care about getting locked up.

how about adding another acerola for its consistency and combo with tapu lele

Acerola in this deck is mostly for scooping up a damaged Gardevoir GX and taking all of its energy and secret spring/attaching it onto other gardevoir GX you have. As a stage 2 deck, it's not very consistent to pick it all up, bench the Ralts and have your Gardevoir GX back next turn. I think 2 Acerola isn't necessarily wrong, but I think with how tight Gardevoir GX deck lists already are, it's not a game changing card for it like it is in, say, Golisopod GX, so it doesn't hold as much value.

As for the rest of the list, I'd say you're fine with 2 Skyla for your 2 Choice Band, 2 Float Stone, 2 Fairy Garden, but absolutely do kill the Fisherman and the Max Potion and get more fairy energy. I used to run Skyla in my own deck, but I felt that she ends up not being good enough. You get your candy and evolve up into a Gardevoir GX, but if you don't have energy as well then it doesn't matter. You can get a choice band for a KO this turn, but what about the rest of the game? Skyla isn't very good at setting you up for what comes next which is why I personally just cut her for more consistency such as more Diancie. I'm also personally on the verge of going up to 10 fairy energy in my list especially with Kartana GX/Mismagius on the horizon disabling my DCEs.

Last edited:
I knew Ho Oh GX/Salazzle GX had one guy who did well with it at worlds, but I haven't tested with it yet. I would also tell you to choose between Ho Oh GX/Salazzle GX and Golisopod GX/Garbodor. I don't have a list for Golisopod/Garbodor, but I do have one for Ho Oh GX/Salazzle GX. Here is my list.

Pokemon: 14

3 Ho Oh GX
2 Salandit
2 Salazzle GX
2 Volcanion EX
1 Volcanion
1 Turtonator GX
3 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers: 32

Items
3 Max Elixir
3 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
3 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Field Blower

Supporter
3 Guzma
4 N
4 Professor Sycamore
3 Kiawe

Energy: 14

14 Fire Energy

Also some people are talking about a Gardevoir GX deck, and I also have a list for that. I have tested extensively with this list, and it has given me a lot of sucess. Here is my list.

Pokemon: 17

4 Ralts
3 Kirlia
3 Gardevoir GX
1 Gallade
2 Diancie
1 Remoraid
1 Octillery
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers: 30

Items
4 Ultra Ball