Tournament My Anaheim Open Experience

TheSceptileMaster

Gastrodon ate my cake
Hey guys, I just got back from Anaheim, CA, where the 2017 Pokemon World Championships were held. I competed in the Anaheim Open, placing at 26, recieving 360 prize wall tickets and exchanging them for a great Burning Shadows Booster Box! I will walk you through the deck I played and how my rounds went.

Deck Choosing-

Day 1 of Worlds, before the Open on Day 2, I played in 4 side events using Volcanion. I was confident it would do me well after successful testing against near everything but Greninja, Ninetales, and Garb variants. Then at side events, I never won a game, so I was discouraged from playing Volc. Back at the hotel, I sign up for the Open and begin reviewing the other decks I brought. Zoroark Drampa I was very sure I would do well, winning a League Challenge and doing decently at the NAIC with it, but it was weak in this format. I also had Espeon Garb, which I never played in a event, but liked it in testing. I quickly run through my matchups with my testing partner, and decide to play it. I contemplate switching my tech Flareon for a Vaporeon for Volcanion matchups, but I decide against this. On Day 2 in the morning, I realize my Ninetales, Gardevoir, and mirror matchups would IMMENSELY benefit from a heavier Drampa line and more Field Blower. Thus the tournament starts. 5 rounds to go

R1-

I face Ninetales R1 and I realize I lost. I dead draw Game 1, starting Lele. I only draw Eevee and Drampa, so I hope I can discard the DCE from Ninetales and N into a better hand. My opponent is a very good player, so he doesn’t fall for this. I scoop.

Game 2, I set up, but Lysandre/Guzma is able to get my Espeons up before they have DCEs. I try to use the Drampa again, but he takes me down. Looks like I am 0-1.

I use a calculator and realize I must win out to Day 2 at 4-1.

R2- 0-1

Looks like I have a better start Game 1 against Golisopod. I start Eevee, then Brigette into another Eevee. I can setup my Flareon and Espeon T2, and start pummeling my opponent’s Zorua and Wimpod. He dead draws on his T4, so he scoops.

Game 2 is the same, just with a Golisopod. I win the round. 1-1

Maybe top 8 is weak and 3-1-1 makes it, based on the current standings.

R3- 1-1

Huh, a MRay, something I didn’t test. Game 1 is pretty bad, I draw 0 supporters and get donked.

Game 2, I can get Drampa, Blower, and Altar, removiing the Sky Fields and DCE. I get a roadblock with Magearna, but a quick Garbodor setup lets me win that game.

Game 3, we go into time, I am winning at 4 prizes when time is called. At T2 I am at 2 prizes, so my opponent concedes and asks me to Day 2 so he lost to a strong opponent. I will remember that.

2-1! HOLY CRAP I COULD BUBBLE!

R4- 2-1

Yay, Metagross. Flareon is crucial. Game 1 he gets a Metagross, I evolve into Flareon and he slows down. Really, accept games may not end well (I understand stalling is a valid tactic, but that’s not fair, and a tie doesn’t help us both), but don’t stall. I still win Game 1.

Game 2, I Ultra Ball and realize I prized Flareon. Once he gets to 3 prizes, I scooped.

Game 3 starts but time is called 2 minutes in. I am pretty sad we would tie as I had the game in my favor with Flareon up, so I offer a tie that he accepts.

2-1-1. Shiat, either top 32 or top 64, now that I look at the rankings. Better win.

R5- 2-1-1

This will either be really good or pretty bad. It is Gardevoir. But I have Garbotoxin out T3 and snipe off Ralts and Kirlia. He barely does damage, and I win the game knocking out a Lele.

Game 2 is pretty much the same, so I end up winning the Round.

YES 3-1-1 A BOOSTER BOX!

Well that was my Anaheim Open experience, I hope you liked reading it. Have a nice day!

(ask enough and you get my list)

Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?

Did I ask enough? :p

In all seriousness, good job! I would never have the guts to take an untested deck :)

I finished 3-4-1 in the open with Greninja. Was disappointed, but its always fun and more experienced gained. Won a LC last Wednesday. So I have to LC wins so far (league challenge) So Im sitting at 30 points already, more then I had all of last year. Lol

Props for trying something untested though. Good luck the rest of the year.

I finished 3-4-1 in the open with Greninja. Was disappointed, but its always fun and more experienced gained. Won a LC last Wednesday. So I have to LC wins so far (league challenge) So Im sitting at 30 points already, more then I had all of last year. Lol

Props for trying something untested though. Good luck the rest of the year.

Thanks! I guesss you were masters. Im at 60 points atm, which is more than I ever had in total.

Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?
Can I see your list?

Did I ask enough? :p

In all seriousness, good job! I would never have the guts to take an untested deck :)

No im doing homework wait hisss.

I TECHNICALLY TESTED THE DECK WHILE TESTING OTHER DECKS WHY U NO GET ME.

Thanks for the luv <3!

Back