Motion sickness from video games?

Joeypals!!

Do you loooooves me? <3
OK, so 2 days before today and yesterday, I was playing Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and got to about Stage 7 when I felt like throwing up. The camera spun over and over again during the next stage. I determined it was motion sickness from this game.

Please share your similar experiences!

Well... It's problebly the TV because When I play Sly 2: Band of Thifes, The camers gose bonkers and then I have to close my eyes for a few seconeds. And any other game i have.

I remember I played "Big Blue" on SSBB. I stared at the moving track and cars. I got really dizzy and fixated lol. I snapped out of it with a spinning head. Everything looked like it was moving to the right or up and down.

Yeah I got that once from left 4 dead. The camera and all the zombies move crazy fast and it gave me a headache.

When Is first got my Ruby I played it nonstop, I had to start making designated times where I could not play because I was getting sick from playing video games too much.

You guys do realize that there's a reason why health advisory literature is typically included with video games when you first purchase them, right? Prolonged exposure to digital media oftentimes does induce illness-like symptoms, such as nausea, vommiting, headaches, and even epilepsy in some cases. I know from experience you should never play video games for more than an hour or less in any given setting as that's when those feelings usually start to set in. The same goes computers, televisions, etc. With anything bright and/or flashing, you should always exercise moderation.

Ive never gotten this. But as Apollo the Incinermyn said you really shouldnt play video games for more then an hour when that happens.

^I've gotten video game induced headaches a lot of times before, and the times I played for hours on end, I'd usually got a bit disoriented and dizzy, which is why I usually try and keep my gaming/computer time down to about an hour or so. This stuff is fun, yeah, but it's not a good thing to look at a screen all that time; like they say, all things in moderation.

I found it seems to happen to me more when I am tired. I'm not sure about you guys though. If it does happen more when you are tired, then you should only play video games for a while if you are well rested. If you aren't rested, try to cut down on hours.

(off topic) I was wondering, why do quick moving/flashing images cause seizures? You can answer in a PM or post, I don't care. I've just been wondering.

I remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog ('06 I cannot remember the level exactly) through a speed sequence and sustained a migraine.Pixels were jaunting across the screen and nearly made me sick....

Absolutly! I've played Sonic Adventure 2 Advance on GBA I felt like my eyes where melting and my head was spinning I know what you mean.

JacobeTheElf said:
(off topic) I was wondering, why do quick moving/flashing images cause seizures? You can answer in a PM or post, I don't care. I've just been wondering.

I got this off a website:

Why do flashing lights cause seizures in some people?

The mechanism by which rhythmic light stimulation can cause a seizure is not well understood. Apparently, it can cause nerve cells in those parts of the brain that process visual stimuli to all fire at once in a synchronized fashion, and this causes a seizure. According to neurologist Jerome Engel, "Instead of [the nerve cells] firing individually, like fingers playing notes on the piano, many fire at once-like the banging of dissonant chords". This only happens when the flashing light or pattern is in the central area of vision and is seen by both eyes.

Pretty interesting stuff indeed, but not everyone gets it from that.

I've never gotten motion sickness of a home video game, mainly because the games have nothing to do with moving my body in a strenuous way. I'm sure virtual reality games would though lol.

dmaster out.

I just watched the trailer for Sonic Colors and completely got a headache,then felt like barfing.The Colors feel so Bright all right....

No Mirror's Edge? You guys make me sad. Mirror's Edge was named THE game to play if you want to get sick. It was a very good game, but when you started doing the faster stuff you would get sick. The ONLY game I have gotten sick from was Mario Tenis for the Virtual Boy... If it counts, I've fainted (from a previous weakness) when playing Double Dragon.

I never really get sick on video games. I just get really depressed if I play for too long. I dont know why but I just feel really crap after playing 3 hours non stop of COD. So that is why I only play an hour on the weekends. Keeps me sane :D.

I don't get motion sickness just playing a game, but when I'm playing a game in a car, it's impossible for me.

Back