• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard More M Steelix shenanigans

YuriGirl

Aspiring Trainer
You may remember me from yesterday's smash hit, "Steelix smashed together with Zoroark for no discrenible reason". Well get ready for "Steelix smashed together with Steelix for no discrenible reason".

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 2 Oranguru SUM 113
* 3 Regirock-EX FCO 43
* 3 M Steelix-EX STS 68
* 3 Steelix-EX STS 108
* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 4 N FCO 105
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Energy Recycler AOR 72
* 4 Steelix Spirit Link STS 106
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Kiawe BUS 116
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 14

* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 2 Strong Energy FCO 115
* 5 Fire Energy 2
* 4 Metal Energy 8

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Thoughts on cards I've included and why:
  • Steelix-EX and M Steelix-EX - The main beater of this deck. Has a brutal 160 damage attack with a few options for powering it up even with the spirit link eating the tool slot. At the base 160 damage, you'll OHKO Gardevoir, Zoroark, and Drampa due to weaknesses. Using the damage boosts from Regirock-EX and Strong Energies, you can OHKO most other threats.
  • Regirock-EX - This is run over Dhelmise because Hoopa-EX can grab it.
  • Hoopa-EX - You can't run Brigette, but this is even better because it can grab your M Steelix-EXs as well. Oranguru gets left behind, however.
  • Kiawe - Steelix needs 4 energy of any kind to attack? Got that covered. Run at 2 because you REALLY don't want your only copy to get prized, but not more than 2 because you rarely want to Kiawe twice in one game.
  • Energy Recycler - Fuels a second Kiawe late game if needed, or simply retrieves spent metals in case things go south. Could be cut to 1, but I wouldn't put it lower than that.
  • Float Stone - Sometimes we won't open with Steelix, but we will open with Hoopa or Ultra Ball. This fixes that problem.
I'm shaky on the exact amounts of energies I've got but don't know exactly what changes I should make.

From the creators of "Drop a fox, dawg" and "Gotta get'em energies back!", Pokebeach presents:

-1 Oranguru
-1 Regirock EX OR -3 Regirock EX
-1 Energy Retrieval
-1 Guzma

+1 Dhelmise OR +2 Dhelmise (if -3 Regirock EX)
+1 Skyla
+2 Parallel City OR +2 Altar of the Sunne
+1 Special Charge (if -3 Regirock EX)

Oranguru is a(n end-game) plus and you want to avoid starting with anything other than Steelix EX.
While Regirock EX is a smart move, your Scoundrel Rings should only really target (M)Steelix EX.
Unless you're accounting for prizing, Energy Retrieval should only be needed once.
4 Guzma might brick you in a deck that doesn't work on switching strats AND has Float Stone.

Dhelmise, in comparison to Regirock EX, only gives away 1 prize and has a hidden bonus that the latter can't offer: it also affects Steelix EX (not Mega). This is important in the unusual likelihood that you attack with Iron Tail and need 2 heads results. In that case, Dhelmise allows you to hit the magical 210 dmg. I know, a bit farfetched, but...
Skyla gets you importante stuff, especially in a Mega deck.
Parallel City is amazing in the current meta and allows you to remove Hoopa EX and/or Tapu Lele GX from your bench if you need, while cutting some damage from meta decks. Altar is purely for the Volcanion EX matchup.
Special Charge is great, since you're running 6 special energies and Enhanced Hammer is thriving right now.

An extra card which I feel should be in there is Rescue Stretcher. If any of the other suggestions feels off and there's still room left, look no further.

From the creators of "Drop a fox, dawg" and "Gotta get'em energies back!", Pokebeach presents:

-1 Oranguru
-1 Regirock EX OR -3 Regirock EX
-1 Energy Retrieval
-1 Guzma

+1 Dhelmise OR +2 Dhelmise (if -3 Regirock EX)
+1 Skyla
+2 Parallel City OR +2 Altar of the Sunne
+1 Special Charge (if -3 Regirock EX)

Oranguru is a(n end-game) plus and you want to avoid starting with anything other than Steelix EX.
While Regirock EX is a smart move, your Scoundrel Rings should only really target (M)Steelix EX.
Unless you're accounting for prizing, Energy Retrieval should only be needed once.
4 Guzma might brick you in a deck that doesn't work on switching strats AND has Float Stone.

Dhelmise, in comparison to Regirock EX, only gives away 1 prize and has a hidden bonus that the latter can't offer: it also affects Steelix EX (not Mega). This is important in the unusual likelihood that you attack with Iron Tail and need 2 heads results. In that case, Dhelmise allows you to hit the magical 210 dmg. I know, a bit farfetched, but...
Skyla gets you importante stuff, especially in a Mega deck.
Parallel City is amazing in the current meta and allows you to remove Hoopa EX and/or Tapu Lele GX from your bench if you need, while cutting some damage from meta decks. Altar is purely for the Volcanion EX matchup.
Special Charge is great, since you're running 6 special energies and Enhanced Hammer is thriving right now.

An extra card which I feel should be in there is Rescue Stretcher. If any of the other suggestions feels off and there's still room left, look no further.
I'd previously written off Dhelmise due to Steelix EX being so unreliable and Regirock-EX being searchable by Hoopa-EX, but times where I need that 25% to come out as a 210 over a 200 do exist... I'll try it out.

With Skyla in the deck, I think I can also manage running -1 Steelix Spirit Link because I don't have to blindly draw into them with Sycamore or N anymore.

So the total changes I've made here are

-1 Regirock-EX
-1 Oranguru
-1 Energy Recycler
-1 Guzma
-1 Steelix Spirit Link

+1 Dhelmise
+1 Special Charge
+2 Altar of the Sunne
+1 Skyla

Could potentially cut another Guzma, but while your suggestion of Rescue Stretcher is good, I think Super Rod would be even better since it can also grab basic Energies.

Back