More “Paradox Rift” English Cards Revealed, Gholdengo ex’s Attack Translated to Match Video Games

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
More cards have been revealed from our Paradox Rift set! It will release on November 3rd.
As posted before, the set will be a combination of cards from Japan’s Raging Surf and Ancient Roar & Future Flash. The latter is still being revealed in Japan right now.

SV04_EN_57-144x200.png

SV04_EN_113-144x200.png

SV04_EN_139-144x200.png

SV04_EN_170-144x200.png

SV04_EN_189-144x200.png

Continue reading...

I like the name Make It Rain. I appreciate name changes in order to make a cute and fitting cultural reference. I guess it would be kind of cool if it was more obvious that certain video game attacks were based on TCG attacks, but...eh...not really a big deal.

Oh, a name change to give a Pokemon a move name that fits better to the Pokemon that is purely a regional change? I'm all for it. Make it Rain is a much better move name than Gold Rush and the attack's function is similar to Make it Rain in the game.

1. TPCI is insisting on translation where transliteration suffices. ゴールドラッシュ is literally Gold Rush. It's not something where subjectiveness/interpretation have much room here, it's phonetically spelling out the English phrase "Gold Rush" as close as possible with katakana. There's nothing to 'translate', or 'localize', simple transliteration is all that was required. (I'd suggest anything on top of that should be considered intrusive.)
This is common in Pokemon, he don't call Zapdos "Thunder" in English, there's a lot of things in Pokemon that fall into this, chances are TCG localizers are considered B-Tier for whats cannon compared to the video game localizers.

And in general, this "it's not a big deal" is an overly reductionist argument that doesn't work in the favor of anyone who plays this game. If it's not a big deal, why do you buy these cards at all? You're spending dollars for cards which cost cents to print – why? If you don't care what they say, how can you justify their value?

Generally speaking, I simultaneously do – and do not – get the view of those opining it isn't a big deal. The way I see it is that you're both vociferously defending poor translation work, and also willing to pay a premium for cards that are subject to poor translation work on top of that. It's a self-defeating argument that erodes your agency to be critical of any future card releases, for any reason.
The honest truth is that for the vast majority of Pokemon fans, attacks not being translated literally is not only not bothersome, it's not even a bad thing. It doesn't even register as a negative.

Believe it or not, most people don't actually think attack names are an important part of Pokemon cards. People care about the art, the rarity, the effects, the place in the metagame, the Pokemon featured...not the attack names. And even if you gather up all the people who actually care about the attack names of Pokemon cards, an even smaller subsection of those people are bothered by attacks not being translated literally.

No, you apparently can't.

What if PCL has had creative ideas for attacks which do damage for Pokémon with given attack names (e.g. "Choose an attack of one of the defending Pokémon. This attack does X damage to all Pokémon that have that attack.") but they can't implement these because they can't trust the translation teams to do their jobs?

Who knows what other ideas PCL has that have to get scrapped because they can't rely on their translation teams?

It's amazing the mental gymnastics people are going through to excuse not translating "Gold Rush" as "Gold Rush". What are you even talking about, "changing it" to reference an English language idiom? How many "Gold Rushes" do you think Japan has had?
I’m not going to say much on this, other than that I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt here that if there ever was a translation error that affected things THAT much it would be either errata’d or forced to be made consistent in translation. I feel like you’re making a mountain out of a molehill here- Even if that inconsistency could be.. I guess somewhat irksome but it’s never bothered me as a collector- and I’m not one to defend Pokémon in most situations.

sonicjms' point still stands on us English speakers not calling Zapdos 'Thunder', despite that being the Japanese name written in Katakana. I don't see any objective reason for transliteration to be the choice in every case over translation/localization. Moltres and Sandshrew are simply 'Fire' and 'Sand', in Japanese respectively but I doubt those names would be very appealing to the English speaking fanbase. You can call it intrusive but I would argue that taking extra time to come up with a new name to suit your varied audience actually shows care for the product. Do you simply have a zero tolerance viewpoint on localizing names which could be transliterated? I'm not trying to be snarky here but I must ask--do you sincerely think Pokemon is an objectively worse product because in English the water and dark Eeveelutions are named Vaporeon and Umbreon instead of 'Showers' and 'Blacky'?

You accuse others of 'gobbling up anything TCPI presents them', as if the other users here are blindly accepting a faulty product, but you've made no point which proves the product has failed in any way other than irritating your own apparent pet peeve regarding translations. You made the point of WotC mistranslations affecting gameplay and thus objectively lowering the quality of the product. While the buffoons over at WotC did in fact make a worse product due to their errors, that is a different issue than Gholdengo ex's attack name. WotC errors were due to incompetent translators who seemed to barely even read English let alone Japanese essentially making guesses as to what attacks and Pokemon Powers did. Consciously renaming an attack to appeal to a different fanbase as an act of localization does not mean you will forget to print 'up to' on an item card, or forget to state that an ability only works from the active spot. That's a dishonest comparison, trying to make a slippery slope argument when it doesn't even track.

Back