Ruling Misunderstandings and Mistakes.

I post some stuff in the Conpendium, yes. But those are REALLY, REALLY Common Mistakes that Members still don't get, so I'll post them here. Members can look at the Conpendium or here, but I REALLY Encourage Members to read the Conpendium.

clefable ex doesn't require you to pay the ENergy cost of the Defending Pokemon's attack, does it???

No, you don't. But if the attack Metronome is copying states you must do something "in order to use this attack", you HAVE to do it EXACTLY as it is stated (like discarding a specific color of Energy).

RE:  Misunderstandings and Mistakes.

Pimpwalkin' Mateo Johnson said:
No, you don't. But if the attack Metronome is copying states you must do something "in order to use this attack", you HAVE to do it EXACTLY as it is stated (like discarding a specific color of Energy).

As I remember, the wording for metronome is:

"Choose 1 of the defending's Pokemon attacks. Metronome copies that attack except for its Energy cost and anything else required in order to use that attack, such as discarding Energy cards. (No matter what type the defending Pokemon is, Clefairy/Clefable is still Colorless.)"

~Copied from Base Clefairy~

So correct me if I am wrong, but the old WoTC ruling states that energy costs is a requirement, as well as anything in the card text that says 'in order to", and unless PUSA has amended this ruling, it should still stand.

I remember this because it was the sole reason why Clefable was able to copy Charizard's Fire Spin without discarding two energy cards, or at least until Legendary Collection came out with the new text.

Which would also mean that if the text did not specify "in order to" on the discarding part, then yes, Metronome would still require the discarding to be done.

Or am I wrong here?

On the Holon Energy, I don't think you need both energy to use the 2nd effect. As stated, the word "also" is repeated twice, and fortunately, appears at the start of both effects' sentences. If needing both for the 2nd effect is true, then it would follow that you would also need both for the 1st effect.

In other words, the word "also" is for cases when there are any OTHER energy of that type attached to the Pokemon, an effect OTHER than providing the Colorless energy. Or basically, it provides [C] energy and also effects so-and-so. That's what the "also" is for.

English sucks, basically.

So rejoice, you only need one energy of that type to activate either effect.

RE:   Misunderstandings and Mistakes.

Roarkiller said:
So correct me if I am wrong, but the old WoTC ruling states that energy costs is a requirement, as well as anything in the card text that says 'in order to", and unless PUSA has amended this ruling, it should still stand.

You're right. I had it mixed up.

Here's the ruling:

The Compendium said:
* A ruling on Metronome and Dark Charmeleon (available in Top Deck #6). Metronome states that it copies that attack except for Energy costs and anything else required IN ORDER TO use that attack.

The important part of this text is the IN ORDER TO part.

This means that Metronome ignores anything listed in an attack's requirements but ONLY if it has the words IN ORDER TO in its text (such as Charizard's Fire Spin). If the words IN ORDER TO are NOT part of the text then Metronome does NOT ignore it.

So, in the case of Dark Charmeleon's Fireball text (Use this attack only if there any Fire Energy cards attached to Dark Charmeleon), Metronome does NOT ignore this condition. This attack was specifically worded this way so that Metronome couldn't copy it without the Clefable/Clefairy actually having Fire Energy on it. There will be other cards in the future that will use this same sort of wording to make it hard for Metronome to copy it. (Apr 13, 6-1-00 Q62 WotC Chat)

Since "in order to" is absent from most legal cards, you need to do what the card says when discarding, as much as you can. The updated ruling on Metronome:

The Compendium said:
Q. If I use "Metronome" and copy Lugia-EX's "Elemental Blast" attack, do I have to discard a Fire, Water and/or Electric energy if I have any of them attached?
A. Yes, when using Metronome in this fashion you do as much of it as you can. So if Clefable-EX only has two Water energy attached, you have to discard one of the Water energy cards (but not both). And if you have a basic Water Energy and a Rainbow Energy attached, you would have to count the Rainbow as one of the other types and discard both cards. (May 4, 2006 PUI Rules Team)

Pretty spiffy. Two hundred damage for two and discard one!

If you use Lannetes net search, can you search for:

ralts DS psychic type
Jirachi HL psychic/metal type
mewtwo DS fire/metal

They all have different types R/M/P but also share another type.

kaworu_scott said:
If you use Lannetes net search, can you search for:

ralts DS psychic type
Jirachi HL psychic/metal type
mewtwo DS fire/metal

They all have different types R/M/P but also share another type.
Reading through the topic (and the Compendium) helps. It's the whole point of the topic..

Again, to clarify, you might want to state that if you choose a dual-type Pokémon (like Team Magma's Groudon, which is Darkness/Fighting), you can only choose 1 more Pokémon (since you got two types already), it can't be dual-type (because that would be four, not three), and it can't be Darkness OR Fighting (because they are both taken already).

i always thought even though a pokemon has a dark in it's name, it's counted... lyk this ~ 1 Dark Slowking and 3 Slowking? correct me if wrong

kravenace said:
i always thought even though a pokemon has a dark in it's name, it's counted... lyk this ~ 1 Dark Slowking and 3 Slowking? correct me if wrong

You are wrong, Dark Slowking and Slowking are different names.

ChanseyMaster said:
Question:
Can I do this:

4 Deoxys
4 Deoxys EX
4 Deoxys Delta Species?

[ChanseyMaster]

Deoxys includes the normal Deoxys and Deoxys with D beside it. The Symbol and "Delta Species" beside it is just to help it get some addtional effect from Holon Ruins, Holon Lak, and so on. So, you can't have 4 Deoxys and 4 Deoxys D in your deck. But you can have 4 Deoxys EX along with 4 Deoxys as there is an additional "ex" in the name, and that makes it different from others. Therefore, it is not counted and it crosses the resrtiction of only 4 Pokemon of the same kind.

Well, you're Welcome, all help needed, I can give. Also try to read the Conpendium from time to time to get used to it. Also, read the first page.

armaldoEX said:
Mist Attack, Fast Wave, Swift, etc.

When this attack is used, it goes through  ANY and EVERY 'defense' your opponent uses.  Examples:-

a) Buffer Piece(DR)
b) Safeguard
c) Damage Reducing attacks and Poke-powers and Poke-bodies
d) Attack Effects like Agility.
e) Resistance

Hope you get this one.

Note: Attacks like these only go through weekness and resistance if the attack specificly says so. Oh, and it never cuts through Agility.

It does cut through Agility like Attack because Agility is an effect on a certain Pokemon, meaning it cuts through.

ChanseyMaster said:
Thanks!
*Grimaces as he pulls all of his Normal Delta Deoxys out of his deck*

[ChanseyMaster]

Rejoice! Form change now works on normal and delta deoxys!

armaldoEX said:
It does cut through Agility like Attack because Agility is an effect on a certain Pokemon, meaning it cuts through.
But Agility stops ALL EFFECTS of an opponent's attack untill the end of your opponent's next turn so it would cancel out a swift before the swift is even applied.

Essentailly, swift is damage "no matter what". Absolutely nothing stops it. That means NOTHING. Same to other things like Hitmonchan's Speedy Uppercut.

Back