Help Mismagius

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
Someone came to me one day and asked me how the Ninja Box deck would survive against Giratina-Ex XY. Since i was using only special energies he came to the conclusion it could be a good counter.

---------------

Giratina-Ex XY

[P] Chaos Wheel: 100 damage. During your opponent's next turn, Pokemon Tool, Special Energy, and Stadium cards cannot be played from his or her hand.

------------

I answered him by telling him that Drampa-Gx was a direct counter to Giratina-Ex. Giratina-Ex XY is effective when he can be active on turn 2 before too many energies would be attached already. Drampa-Gx with Righteous Edge can be effective on turn 1 and completely negate Giratina-Ex before he gets active.

Now, we have a similar threat coming.

---------------
Mismagius SM4

[P] Chaos Wheel: 30 damage. Your opponent can’t play any Pokemon Tool, Special Energy, or Stadium cards from their hand during their next turn.

-------------

Needing only 1 psychic energy to attack, this one will not be countered by Drampa-Gx since he is not reliant on special energies. Shining Mew can be used to attach the energies needed, and it could be useful in this situation but he only has 30hp and gets OHKO by Mismagius (Yes running FFB could be a good idea).

If we wanted to avoid the effect of Mismagius right on the get go before he even gets going, something like Magearna would not be useful if i understand correctly (someone can confirm this). Chaos Wheel is applied on the player and Mystic Heart only applies onto the pokémon.

--------------

Magearna-Ex XY

Mystic Heart - Prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, except damage, done to each of your Pokémon that has any Metal Energy attached to it. (Existing effects are not removed.)

--------------

If this is the case, is there another pokemon (basic ideally) that could prevent Mismagius from applying the effect on the first turn? Is Pokemon Ranger the only answer?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes Magearna Ex does not help against it, it only prevents effects on your Pokémon.
What would help is Marowak from Fates Colide, or just playing some basic energies.
You don't really have to fear the turn 1 lock, except he plays wally as well.

with the new Gengar ability in Crimson, playing basic energies can be Dangerous with the chaos Wheel lock on your pokemon ....if the opponnent have 2 or 3 gengar...just putting a energy can lead you near dead end....add some discard energy card like Hammer or team flare grunt in the mix and you have a annoying time dealing with the new Gengar and Mismagius....you thinking about the Carbotoxin lock ability ? to counter that Gengar ability ? pfff maybe this can work if your oppenent does not have field blower or big pokemon waiting for the carbo kill....

yeah i've hard time facing a opennent playing the this new crimsom invasion combo...surprisely effective.... put me off guard....

Pet peeve in the spoiler tags; if you don't care, don't worry about reading it. ;)
Giratina-Ex XY
Mismagius SM4
Magearna-Ex XY

Two of these cards don't actually exist. ;) Yeah, I am sure most people know what you mean, but is it really that much harder to type "Giratina-EX (AOR)"? Really helps people when looking up the card. With Magearna-EX, you don't even need the reference; all three releases with the name are the same card. You could leave it off for everyone if you really wanted, seeing as you went ahead and posted text spoilers. ;)

Potential counters to Chaos Wheel are:
  • Running a sufficient amount of basic Energy (varies from deck to deck)
  • Running an alternate means of attaching Energy cards (but this usually only works with basic Energy anyway)
  • Running Pokémon Ranger
  • Running Marowak (XY: Fates Collide 37/124)
  • Running disruption that forces your opponent to miss a usage of Chaos Wheel
All of these have pros and cons, with the running theme of the easier it is to implement in most decks, the less reliable a counter it provides. Disruption is present in every competitive deck I've seen... so long as you can strand something in your opponent's Active position other than a Chaos Wheel-user. Marowak wrecks similar strategies, but you've got to find space for a Stage 1 Bench-sitter and hope that Mismagius isn't backed by Garbodor (XY: BREAKpoint 57/122). The ultimate counter is running a deck that uses a decent amount of [D] Type attackers and basic Darkness Energy cards.

@Yumikora mentioned most of these, I know. Right now, nothing in Standard can attack T1 for damage. I know we'll be getting another exception soon, but I bring it up to point out that the earliest Chaos Wheel can hit is Turn 2 (the first turn of the player going second). That requires a Wally and a successful use of Chaos Wheel, which means anytime you go first your opponent may already be in trouble. Mismagius has to run heavy on disruption itself because it cannot afford to fail to discard any Energy you managed to get into play. Basic Energy, even if run sparingly in the deck, will require Crushing Hammer, Plumeria, or Team Flare Grunt: so a "tails fails" Trainer, a Supporter with a two-card discard cost, or a Supporter that only works on your opponent's Active.

@Fingercut While Gengar (SM: Crimson Invasion 38/111) sounds scary, remember it is a Stage 2 and uses an Ability; if you go that route, your Chaos Wheel user can - at most - shut off Abilities from basic Pokémon. With the low damage output of Mismagius using Chaos Wheel, even if you're also discarding any basic Energy that makes it through, the damage bonus probably isn't enough. I mean, you could run Decidueye-GX and just hit whatever you feel like! Plus, if your lock is really working, Gengar isn't actually doing anything; you won't be attacking with it, and you also won't be cashing in on its Ability because your opponent won't be playing any Energy by that point.

Sums it up i guess, thanks for the info Otaku. Sorry if i miss leaded some people with Giratina-EX (AOR) but it was implying Chaos Wheel so it was an easy one.

• Running an alternate means of attaching Energy cards (but this usually only works with basic Energy anyway)
  • Running Pokémon Ranger

I will stick to those two options. The first one will be Shining Mew and the second "Pokémon Ranger"

Sorry if i miss leaded some people with Giratina-EX (AOR) but it was implying Chaos Wheel so it was an easy one.

Yup, pretty obvious. You gave the card text, after all. Probably shouldn't have said anything; hopefully people get a chuckle out of me being so bothered by something so unimportant. ^^'

Back