• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Mill Deck (PCL-on)

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Today, I will show to you my first deck under PCL-on standard format. My version of Mill Deck

Pokemon - 8
4 Durant (BKP)
2 Bunnelby (PCL)
2 Shaymin-EX (ROS)

Trainers - 43
3 Professor Sycamore (BKP)
3 N (FCO)
1 Lysandre (AOR)
1 Hex Maniac (AOR)
4 Team Rocket's Handiwork (FCO)
2 Team Flare Grunt (GEN)

4 VS Seeker (ROS)
4 Trainers' Mail (AOR)
4 Crushing Hammer (GEN)
4 Level Ball (AOR)
2 Ultra Ball (FCO)
1 Professor's Letter (BKT)
4 Assault Vest (BKT)
2 Enhanced Hammer (PCL)
4 Max Elixir (BKP)

Energy - 9
6 Grass Energy (GEN)
3 Rainbow Energy (BKT)

What can you say about my deck? Do you have some suggestions about it? Feel free to comment!

(This deck was built via TCG ONE.)
XY9_EN_9.png
XY5_EN_121.png
XY6_EN_77.png

Mill decks are very difficult right now with the current Meta. The good news is, it should slow down once the rotation kicks in for standard. I think assault vests are almost pointless just because the HP's are already so low on the pokemon that preventing 60 HP from special energy attacks wont prevent the OHKO's. Max elixir's will also be tough to hit since you only run 6 energy cards in the deck. 4 TRH seems like a lot as well since you already run VS seekers and I dont think you plan on playing that supporter every turn.

Changes I'd make:

-2 TRH
-4 Max Elixir
-4 Assualt Vest
-2 Durant

+2 Bunnelby
+2 Delinquent
+4 Red Card
+2 Head Ringer
+2 Silent Lab

Bunnelby addition for reasons stated previously. Delinquent is almost a no brainer with Red Card which can take your opponents hand down to 1 card to further stall them, or 0 cards if they only have 3. Head Ringers for further stalling on their pokemon attacks. Silent lab can prevent early Shaymin plays plus removes stadiums in play as well as gives you the ability to use delinquent.

I would replace the assault vest with fighting fury belt

Why? FFB will only give them an extra 40HP, which isn't enough to make it worth your while since there are a lot of decks out there that can put out 100+ dmg per turn. FFB will just clunk up the deck and take away the focus of mill/stall. JW Kriewall put out an article a couple months ago about mill decks and sticking to the purpose of a deck and don't deviate from it. If the purpose of the deck is to mill, then build the deck around milling. Trying to keep low HP pokemon alive to do additional milling is not the purpose of this deck. Give up 2,3,4,or 5 prize cards if that's what it takes to completely mill your opponent.

6 basic energy isn't enough to make Max Elixir work well, you typically need 9-12 basic energy to use Max Elixir reliably. You're going to be whiffing a lot, and if your strategy is to get 2 energy attachments a turn, it's not going to work out.

Why? FFB will only give them an extra 40HP, which isn't enough to make it worth your while since there are a lot of decks out there that can put out 100+ dmg per turn. FFB will just clunk up the deck and take away the focus of mill/stall. JW Kriewall put out an article a couple months ago about mill decks and sticking to the purpose of a deck and don't deviate from it. If the purpose of the deck is to mill, then build the deck around milling. Trying to keep low HP pokemon alive to do additional milling is not the purpose of this deck. Give up 2,3,4,or 5 prize cards if that's what it takes to completely mill your opponent.

Yeah I see what you mean. Would ti make any sense to put garbodor in this? I'm just curious, and like trying different things in different decks.

Garbodor I feel is situational. Against Greninja it's great. Most other decks, it wont really effect them. Maybe Dark/Tina but taking away Tina's ability wont really effect this deck. You can already silence Shaymin with silent lab T1

Garbodor I feel is situational. Against Greninja it's great. Most other decks, it wont really effect them. Maybe Dark/Tina but taking away Tina's ability wont really effect this deck. You can already silence Shaymin with silent lab T1

Thank you :)

I'd be using Weezing from FAC as the main miller, it's a coin flip but it's got more HP.. but without dimension valley it's been slowed down a lot :(

Also, I'd try and put some stadium in if you're gonna run that many Delinquent's, that way you can at least try and force the supporter yourself instead of relying on your opponent to play one.

Last edited:
I can't stand coin flips for any discards. At least with bunnelby and durant you know you're going to mill cards. Like I said before, low HP mill'ers arent going to stay alive and the purpose isn't to keep them alive. The purpose is to mill as many cards as you can as fast as you can. Also, I did have them add a stadium with delinquents. Silent Lab.

I can't stand coin flips for any discards. At least with bunnelby and durant you know you're going to mill cards. Like I said before, low HP mill'ers arent going to stay alive and the purpose isn't to keep them alive. The purpose is to mill as many cards as you can as fast as you can. Also, I did have them add a stadium with delinquents. Silent Lab.

As annoying as coin flips are for milling (or anything) it's easier to get a Weezing going then it is a Durant, you need a rainbow energy and a random energy attached to Durant to do the mill where as you can get Weezing milling turn 2 with a DCE. My thought process behind milling is essentially you've got 7 turns to mill about 40 cards.. Delinquent is removing cards from their hand not their deck so it isn't as good as Team Rocket's Handiwork.
If you've gotta mill 40 cards in 7 turns (if you go 2nd) you've gotta mill about 6 cards per turn.. but of course the game has heaps of draw.. and for them to set up they've gotta dig a bit.. So you've gotta consistently probably about 5 cards per turn.. Scrape down mills 4 and Bunnelby only mills 2..

I largely agree with PokeDad5's changes but I will make a case for Team Aqua's Hideout. Forcing them to pay an extra Energy to retreat can be game-winning, especially if you gust up some fatty like Hoopa-EX. Even gusting up Shaymin can be a real pain for them if you drop a Head Ringer on it. You will force them to either use a DCE (if they even run it) just to retreat it only to be Lysandred out again next turn, or pile on the Energy to use Sky Return, which you can promptly hammer/TFG off.

Because of that, I almost don't care if they use Hoopa or Shaymin to help set up. N, Red Card, and Delinquent can help keep their hand size manageable, and if they are dumb enough to drop Hoopa-EX against a mill deck then that's only good news for me.

You might also want to try to fit Puzzle of Time in this deck. It's a heavy investment, but Puzzle fits this deck like a glove.

As annoying as coin flips are for milling (or anything) it's easier to get a Weezing going then it is a Durant, you need a rainbow energy and a random energy attached to Durant to do the mill where as you can get Weezing milling turn 2 with a DCE. My thought process behind milling is essentially you've got 7 turns to mill about 40 cards.. Delinquent is removing cards from their hand not their deck so it isn't as good as Team Rocket's Handiwork.
If you've gotta mill 40 cards in 7 turns (if you go 2nd) you've gotta mill about 6 cards per turn.. but of course the game has heaps of draw.. and for them to set up they've gotta dig a bit.. So you've gotta consistently probably about 5 cards per turn.. Scrape down mills 4 and Bunnelby only mills 2..

If you don't mess with their hand, they will just stockpile the cards they need until they need to play them, then just N themselves a fresh hand when their deck starts to run out and take their last couple prizes off them. Constantly shuffling and discarding their hand forces them to think twice about keeping things in their hand.

And you can't talk about consistent milling and then suggest Weezing. On average you are gonna get two cards milled which is the same as Bunnelby except more of a hassle. I would still rather run Durant for the consistent mill. Koffing is dead weight until you put two Energy on him. Durant also has less of a hassle against Giratina-EX due to Mountain Munch being usable without Special Energy and you still get to mill. Weezing is garbage and should not be used.

Wow I am dumb. @PokeDad5 Head Ringer is getting rotated.

I disagree with the Team Aqua's Hideout simply because it's too easy to AZ or super scoop a Shaymin or Hoopa. Not to mention just playing another stadium, which the meta is kind of stadium heavy right now, will not help.

Puzzles can be somewhat benefitial, but I dont see them as necessary simply because there's not really anything in a mill deck that you NEED to get back.

As far as weezing goes, I'd disagree that it's easier to get weezing going than durant or bunnleby. First off you'll need 2 energy on weezing, just like you would durant, but with the DCE and the increase play of Jirachi, that'll totally slow down your milling. Durant doesnt have to run rainbow energy if you tech Team Magmas Secret Base. Bunnleby can attack it's first turn you can attack, which is great that you don't have to evolve it like you do weezing. Sure you can tech wally, but I see that as a waste of space in a milling deck. I also disagree that Delinquent isn't as good as Team Rocket's Handiwork. TRH also requires a coin flip, so you're still 50/50 you'll either mill something or nothing. Delinquent is a for sure 3 cards to the discard. While I understand your reasoning behind milling 0-2-4 from the deck with TRH, milling is milling. Doesn't matter if it's from hand or top of the deck. Sure not giving them the option to choose what they mill is preferable, that's why I would run red card and force them down to 1 card in hand after a Delinquent play.

If people are still worried about low HP pokemon, just tech Houndoom EX with FFB. You'll have more than enough HP's to mill 2 cards per turn, then just run scoops, max potion, AZ, Cassius, and/or Pokemon Center Lady. The meta is going to change so that it'll become more difficult to get OHKO's of pokemon over 120 HP's, so you'll be good for a couple turns with it. But i'd caution and only run 2 of just because you're increasing the odds of prize cards taken vs milling speed.

OP is building this deck specifically for PCL-on Standard. There's no point in suggesting changes for the current format.

Back