Help Mienshao Card Clarification

ditto6600

Aspiring Trainer
I have a card clarification on Mienshao and I’m wondering if anyone knows the answer. If you use Aero Turn with Mienshao as your only pokémon but kill the opponents pokémon and take your last prize card do you win or does it go into sudden death? Thanks for the help.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
You win, since the KO occurs before returning the Pokémon to your hand. As long as the KO lets you take a prize card, you win.

ditto6600

Aspiring Trainer
What if it means that the other person is out of basics and now you are too? Will that change anything?

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
It's based off the number of win conditions. If you take 6 prizes and Bench your opponent, while your opponent is only benching you, you win. However, if you only achieve 1 of the 2 win conditions. You will go to sudden-death.

Otaku

The wise fool?
You win, since the KO occurs before returning the Pokémon to your hand. As long as the KO lets you take a prize card, you win.

You sure about that? I thought that the game doesn't check for KO's until after the attack resolves. That's why, for example, a Mienshao with 60 or less HP remaining can attack into a Pokémon with Bursting Balloon attached but return to hand before it would be KO'd. Pulled this stunt reasonably often with Shaymin-EX (ROS) and its attack.

I recommend reading page 14 of the SM7 (current) rulebook. It is a little confusing because they insisted on explaining while using an example, but it says:

When you attack, put 1 damage counter on your opponent’s Active Pokémon for each 10 damage your Pokémon’s attack does (written to the right of the attack name). In the example above, Litten’s Bite attack does 10 damage. Then, Rowlet’s Weakness of ×2 to Pokémon makes that 10 ×2 = 20 damage. So put 2 damage counters on Rowlet. If an attack says to do something else, be sure to do that, too!

Your attack is complete, so check to see if any Pokémon were Knocked Out by the attack.
Emphasis added. You do everything for an attack before the attack is complete and then you check for KO's due to damage.

Mienshao ought to bounce itself to hand before the attack is over... I don't know if the game checks for "No Pokémon in play" during an attack or not. If yes, then the Mienshao player would lose. If no, then I think it is a tie.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
While it's not completely accurate, on TCGO I tested something similar. I played a deck with only 1 Shaymin-EX +59 energy, my opponent played a deck with only Joltik and 59 energy. I used Sky Return, koing the Joltik and benching myself. This resulted in the game going into a sudden-death. So I believe getting benched is checked at the same time of the KO. This means whoever has more win conditions wins. If both players have the same amount of win conditions it goes to sudden-death.

ditto6600

Aspiring Trainer
Mienshao ought to bounce itself to hand before the attack is over... I don't know if the game checks for "No Pokémon in play" during an attack or not. If yes, then the Mienshao player would lose. If no, then I think it is a tie.

From my understanding the having no basics left rule happens when you go to bring out another pokémon, and the prize card comes after the KO. So which comes first, or are they done at the same time? Is there a website to use to find the official rules?

Thanks for the help you’ve given and I have another fourm on robo substitute that no one has replied to and wondering if anyone here knows. Can robo substitute be affected by special conditions? If he can is he still able to be removed whenever?